2008 451 Cabrio tailgate malfunction

3 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have a 2008 451 Cabriolet. A common problem on this model is the tailgate will sometimes not open due to a part failure. This is the second time this has happened to me, but this time seems to be different. A few years ago I had to replace the actuator, which required me drilling two holes in to the tailgate from the inside so that I could slip in a small screwdriver to release the locking mechanism so this step is already done. I automatically assumed it was the actuator again and replaced it, but it didn't work. I read in forums that it could be the microswitch, which is part of the handle you squeeze to open the tailgate so I replaced it, but this too, didn't work.

I have checked fuses and they are fine. As well the front and passenger door locks work fine. I don't know what else it could be. Has anyone else experienced this?

Can anyone tell me if when the tailgate is locked does the actuator engage when you grab the handle or does it not function when locked. Does this make sense? I need to narrow this problem down so I need to know if when locked it deactivates the actuator or if the actuator still makes that operational noise, but just won't open (I cannot remember). I am considering replacing the automatic lock mechanism on the right side of the tailgate. It's the last thing I can think of that I can do myself before taking it in to a dealership.

Edited by kajc67
Thought of another part to replace, question regarding this step.

Welcome to CsC.  I have had issues with wire corrosion inside the tailgate of my 2011.  You may have to remove the tailgate panel and have a look for wiring issues. 

Edited by Huronlad

Hello Huronlad,

I just finished checking the wires in the tailgate and all appears to be well. I think I am going to have to take it to a Mercedes dealership. Ugh! Anyhow, thank you for taking a shot at it.