tolsen

60 minute time limit for content editing

19 posts in this topic

Having thought about it, I have concluded this is a very unsmart move.  

One reason for not introducing the 60 minute time limit:

Assume there is a photo or two in a post and Photobucket or some other image hosting outfit pulls the plug making image unavailable.  The poster won't be able to edit image link due to the 60 minute time limit..

Edited by tolsen
Missed out a pronoun and decided to correct post.

Could somebody kindly explain the reason for introducing the 60 minute time limit?

Not sure why someone (regular member) would need photobucket, as we provide hosting for images!

This time limit is in place so that content cannot be deleted en masse...

I think you could also use the 'insert other media' option. which offers you to choose from an 'existing attachment' or to 'insert image from url'

Have you always been hosting images elsewhere??

DSCF3164.JPGDSCF2999.JPG

and here are two images inserted from 'existing attachments', and I should point out, the existing attachments are ones you have previously uploaded to CsC.... so if you have only been using the 'insert other media' option, then yes, you might have wondered how to get a new image on the site! this is a nice way to repost a photo you previously uploaded - it also shows up with a smaller image in the post, which will enlarge when you click on it, at least on a PC... no idea what this stuff all does on mobile devices.... lol

and yes, btw, that is all 4 canada1 cars from several years ago in Port Moody BC! I owned the red cabriolet with the crossblade wheels at the time, but have since sold it, and now own the red coupe on the far left...

the other photo is of the cabrio in my underground parking and our two subarus of the day (still have the legacy sedan 6 speed CVT, my daily driver now is a Mazda CX-5 6 speed manual - so all three vehicles are 6 speeds!)

6 hours ago, tolsen said:

Could somebody kindly explain the reason for introducing the 60 minute time limit?

No one has answered this question yet. What is the rationale?

Many's the time I've posted in the late evening only to discover in the morning that,

my spelling or grammar is atrocious. Why can't I correct this?:huh:

Edited by lebikerboy
reason mentioned within

One member (and I use this in the most pejorative sense of the word) whose name starts with c and ends with n and has addilacma in the middle decided to delete all his posts in a snit and left a trail of insults in their place.  I think Keith decided that this was not a good scenario and made the change in response to it.

But I have been demoted to Regular Member now - at my own request - so you will have to go to Keith for the official word.

Edited by MikeT

So as usual that which has become so pervasive in our society, the majority

are being punished for the faults of the minority.

Sounds a great deal like a page from Nineteen Eighty Four...

Why not just ban the offender and be done with it?<_<

I would think that would be the best, ban member, erase posts all in one action and then reinstate editing rights.  But it's not for me to decide!

I understand it from both sides

on one hand its a good thing for members to be able to edit their own posts and fix links that break

but on the other hand its also good to protect the information that had been posted ...when someone takes a fit and deletes posts it ruins threads...banning them doesnt stop it from happening again with another member.....shortening the edit window does

some forum software allows for individual member permissions...some forum software only allows group permissions 

this thread is interesting

lmao at the commitment that mentioned guy had...i just did a search and he actually went and edited back to 2007...almost every of 1000 posts...

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

9DE45236-2D18-4A37-9943-66BF1F726660.jpeg

I am just testing inserting photos without using external image hosting. Have never seen or used this feature in the past. Thanks for letting me know Smartzuum. 

231199DF-2066-4D68-A485-13BFF6C3CF07.jpeg

My Smart ran over and broke my Karcher dirtblaster. Really annoying. This one is the semi industrial dirtblaster rated at 160 bar. 

3DFA748D-22BC-4983-9E96-6CD233F1367C.jpeg

AISI 316 stainless steel sleeve and special bolt. 

4A662C86-5003-4CEE-A79E-EF2F07838485.jpeg

Fixed and it works better than before. 

Question to Smartzuum:

As a result of the Photobucket fiasco, I have hundreds of posts with broken image links. Could you give permissions to trustworthy members as needed to sort out such issues?

Edited by tolsen

13 hours ago, MikeT said:

One member (and I use this in the most pejorative sense of the word) whose name starts with c and ends with n and has addilacma in the middle decided to delete all his posts in a snit and left a trail of insults in their place.  I think Keith decided that this was not a good scenario and made the change in response to it.

But I have been demoted to Regular Member now - at my own request - so you will have to go to Keith for the official word.

I bet he got great pleasure out of it all.  Better doing what he did than another mass shooting.  Perhaps the men in the white coats should have him psychoanalysed.

1 person likes this

14 hours ago, lebikerboy said:

No one has answered this question yet. What is the rationale?

Actually, I did answer

17 hours ago, smartzuum said:

This time limit is in place so that content cannot be deleted en masse...

And, having now just seen the extent of the edits, the person and IP addresses will be banned.

Our webmaster is MIA - there might be a way to undo all of the edits - but I am not certain.

BTW - there historically were time limits placed on editing. Unlimited is not going to be an option. If 60 minutes is too short, we could look at 12 hours or maybe 24 hours, but it will not be left open to these kinds of abuses.

Anyway, going to ban member and IP addresses now.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, tolsen said:

Question to Smartzuum:

As a result of the Photobucket fiasco, I have hundreds of posts with broken image links. Could you give permissions to trustworthy members as needed to sort out such issues?

Your wish has been granted.

1 person likes this