cloggedb

Will not crank

34 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, GRP151 said:

I have made a specialty tool that resembles a pair of needle nose pliers. It is perfectly suited to pull off the spade connector from the solenoid, in this example, its about 30 inches in length. The design is much similar to the attached picture except very thin and easily handled. It truly is an amazing tool. I am just showing one that is similar as my modified one is awaiting patent. Once the patent is complete I can direct anyone who is interested to the distributor for purchase!  

long nose.png

How do you intend to release that connector?

Also, what is the point disconnecting solenoid connector?  Its lead is only 3 inches long max. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Pull on it! It is a spade connection. Once removed, spray oil mix and reinsert. That should regain its connection if corrosion is the issue and judging from this picture it sure looks like it

PULL  HERE.png

Edited by GRP151

1 hour ago, NFB said:

A half decent mechanic would NEVER let these contacts get this way, he would ALWAYS maintain good electical connection by spraying an oily solution on ALL electrical contacts. It is the best way to repel corrosive fluids like salt water or galvanic action.

The next time that I buy a new car I will be sure to dismantle it before using it and spray an oily solution on all the electrical connections.

14 minutes ago, smartdriver said:

The next time that I buy a new car I will be sure to dismantle it before using it and spray an oily solution on all the electrical connections.

Electircal corrosion takes time to do its damage. Much quicker with a wet salty environment. The oily solution it a quick remedy. Don't wait if you have an older vehicle.  Now is the time to spray especially if you have never done it. http://www.rustcheck.com/

Posted (edited) · Report post

My comment was intended to be somewhat facetious.

It would have been virtually impossible in 2005 when the smart was first introduced to North America to have predicted that the starter solenoid connection would ultimately become corroded and would require dismantling the car to access it.

This also goes for a chronically clogged EGR valve, a stuck wastegate, a frozen alternator, stuck rear brakes, split reluctor rings, broken front springs and water incursion on the wiring harness to the SAM, seven common problems which were only revealed by time.

Edited by smartdriver

2 hours ago, smart142 said:

And when that happens I would like to meet the person who can change that connector without dropping the engine for access. As my pictures show it is not an easy place to get to.

i can

but its a cheat

previous owner cut a trap door out of the firewall in my car to access the starter...id just have to grind off my welds and remove the seam sealer i put when i sealed it back up

1 person likes this

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 3:04 PM, cloggedb said:

Jammed my hand in and I believe I found the wire. Above and to the right of the alternator if I'm looking into the wheel. Going to try and give this a shake. 

Did you solve the problem?

Not yet. I think i found the connector but it got dark and i had to retire for the evening. Hoping we get a clear day soon so i can try again.