Noel

turns over but wont start

13 posts in this topic

car turns over checked alternator (spins freely) replaced Ebox  no change checked egr it is clear no blockage, fuel pressure is good glow plugs not working (I have it in the garage 20c in there should start) tried to check compression but my compression tester wont fit down into glow plug hole. battery is fully charged and I set it to boost when trying to start motor spins a little faster on boost but no start!! I bought the car dead have no history on this car. I do have another smart cdi that was in accident that ran perfect that I can remove parts from. both cars are 2005 diesel cdi 90k on smashed car 115k on car that wont start. any help getting this car started would be great. wont start with starting fluid either

35 minutes ago, Noel said:

tried to check compression but my compression tester wont fit down into glow plug hole. 

I don't have the correct adapter and gauge to accurately check the compression by removing the glow plugs (and those can be difficult to remove from a cold engine)

My method can be done using common tools. The fuel lines can be removed using a 14mm open ended wrench.

I then use a 13mm long socket and put it on the right side of the injector and move it side to side to loosen and then remove. I then clean the shafts with solvent and a lint free cloth. Clean the shafts of the injectors and place back.

Jack up right side of the car and remove the rear wheel. Using extensions and T18 socket you can turn the engine by hand.

You will need a second person to turn the engine or feel to see if the injectors push out when turning.

Relatively simple and can be done in about a half hour.

You will need new copper washers/fire seals from the dealer to reinstall. They are inexpensive.

This works for me.

If one of the cylinders lacks compression it won't start.

Good luck!

You will need new copper washers/fire seals from the dealer to reinstall. They are inexpensive

my nearest dealership is 300kms away

pm your address and I will send you 3.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's my experience with no start. I did end up getting it fired up - post #67. I do have a diesel compression gauge that works on the little smart cars via the glow plugs that you're welcome to borrow if you're ever in the Edmonton area. Smart142's method is quick, and also requires minimal speciality tools. Give it a try 1st.

Good Luck!

Edited by stickman007

newer injectors installed,got the glow plugs working (control box). Devised a compression tester cylinder one (270) cylinder two (0) cylinder three (90) psi thinking in going to have to go deeper and remove the head and check the valves. Any other ideas before I drop the engine?

I'm betting the valves will be the problem.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Noel said:

newer injectors installed,got the glow plugs working (control box). Devised a compression tester cylinder one (270) cylinder two (0) cylinder three (90) psi thinking in going to have to go deeper and remove the head and check the valves. Any other ideas before I drop the engine?

i like to put air into each cylinder while at top dead center and listen to exhaust and intake (and crankcase) to confirm diagnosis more before removal

if its a valve it should be very obvious

Edited by LooseLugNuts

no time to check the out the heads so I got the convertible smart  on the road today to busy at work to check the heads maybe on days off at Christmas and thanks for the input about the valves 

Copper washers can be rejuvenated by heating with torch if you can't get to dealership. It swells up the copper and compresses nicely as it is designed to

On 11/23/2017 at 6:11 PM, Noel said:

car turns over checked alternator (spins freely)

replaced Ebox???

If your referring to the ECU it needs to be matched with SAM and Odometer.

On 11/23/2017 at 6:11 PM, Noel said:

no change checked egr it is clear no blockage, fuel pressure is good glow plugs not working (I have it in the garage 20c in there should start) tried to check compression but my compression tester wont fit down into glow plug hole. battery is fully charged and I set it to boost when trying to start motor spins a little faster on boost but no start!! I bought the car dead have no history on this car. I do have another smart cdi that was in accident that ran perfect that I can remove parts from. both cars are 2005 diesel cdi 90k on smashed car 115k on car that wont start. any help getting this car started would be great. wont start with starting fluid either

24 minutes ago, GetSmart said:

Copper washers can be rejuvenated by heating with torch if you can't get to dealership. It swells up the copper and compresses nicely as it is designed to

You can successfully anneal copper fire washers. Heat until red hot and quench in water.