Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dumbsmartgirl

Transmission issues

6 posts in this topic

Today I took out my Smart and after 10 minutes or so (driving in automatic) it started shifting erratically, like rapidfire shifting as if unable to find the right gear. I limped into a parking lot, put it in manual and drove it back home. It gave me 1st, 3rd and 5th gear but none of the others, and the gear number indicator on the dash kept blinking the whole time. I want to check the transmission fluid but I can't find the dipstick (don't laugh, I'm a girl and not good at this stuff). The spanner symbols on the dash were both on and the small one was blinking.

Also, last week the car wouldn't start and it gave me the three bars on the dash. I paused and turned the key again and it worked fine. I thought I heard that was a battery thing that's also related to the transmission (?). Could these issues be related?

I bought the car from it's original owner in September and I don't know how old the battery is.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be or how to address it? Thanks in advance for any help! 

A failing battery can cause odd behaviour.  That is likely one of the least expensive items to check, many auto parts places will load test batteries for free.  Missing gears, one shift motor failing to operate, seems out of place.  As with many newer cars there is no transmission dip stick in the smart.

So start with the battery and report back if that does not fix the problem.

There is no transmission dipstick. You need to drain it all out and refill. Its either Electrical, low fluid level, or worst case a mechanical problem. It might be a good idea to look over the car and check over everything if you get 15 mins free

based on the 3 bars mentioned...i would do the easy thing first...which is removal of clutch actuator and visual inspection of clutch release shaft hole ....

Thanks for your responses, I'll try to implement them according to my abilities. I also have a few people lined up who might be able to help with some of the trickier stuff. 

I was searching online and heard it could be something like a a simple transmission update, which I assume is a computery thing. I'll run the diagnostic tool and see what it says.

You can read through some related threads here: http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8686514

Most likely it's the battery.  If not, you can try the transmission teach-in procedure shown in the owners manual.  If that doesn't help, then it could be the shift motors (2) on the transmission or the clutch actuator.  Start with the easy stuff.  :)