Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
buzz271432

Pesky Oil Leak on 2005 Cabrio

6 posts in this topic

I'm baaaack!!! After a very long period of trouble free driving with Bibit II... BAM! Back in the snoot!

After retiring Bibit in April 2017, I purchased a clean, sharp 2005 Cabrio with 155,000KM on the ODO. Just turned 200K did my oil change and all seemed fine (as usual). Back the car out in the fresh snow this morning and I see a black trail... drive her back in turn her off... nothing leaking. Repeat and a new trail, turn her off nothing. Checked the oil filter and its on tight with no sign of leaks but then I turn her on and look underneath... lo and behold a steady stream coming from the rectangular contraption just to the right of the oil filter (picture attached).

WTF is that? Why is it leaking?? And why did it start leaking right after I did my oil change???

I'm half tempted to swap the engine from Bibit (kept it for Spare parts because she ran sweet - just all the electrical and suspension problems put the final nail in her coffin) but... I don't have the time or intestinal fortitude to attempt an engine swap LOL!!

Hopefully this is a quick and easy fix...???? Help...

Bob

IMG_20171212_201114.jpg

That's the oil cooler.

Is it possible that in the process of changing the oil filter you may have damaged the new o-ring when re-installing the housing? Could be that it is just leaking out near the oil cooler.

Thanks booneylander!

I can remove the housing and check again... seems odd that leak stops when engine is stopped tho. I'll check it out this weekend

It could be the O ring but I have seen one of those weird oil coolers spring a leak. Keep us updated. FYI- that oil cooler is an expensive item from the dealer, but it would be a lot easier getting it off the other engine than making am engine swap.

Thanks Gregg!

It seems that the O ring makes more sense...since the leak only started AFTER my oil change. I'll park it for now and hit it on the weekend. Keep you posted.

So the "rectangular contraption" is the oil cooler. Good to know :-)