buzz271432

Pesky Oil Leak on 2005 Cabrio

17 posts in this topic

I'm baaaack!!! After a very long period of trouble free driving with Bibit II... BAM! Back in the snoot!

After retiring Bibit in April 2017, I purchased a clean, sharp 2005 Cabrio with 155,000KM on the ODO. Just turned 200K did my oil change and all seemed fine (as usual). Back the car out in the fresh snow this morning and I see a black trail... drive her back in turn her off... nothing leaking. Repeat and a new trail, turn her off nothing. Checked the oil filter and its on tight with no sign of leaks but then I turn her on and look underneath... lo and behold a steady stream coming from the rectangular contraption just to the right of the oil filter (picture attached).

WTF is that? Why is it leaking?? And why did it start leaking right after I did my oil change???

I'm half tempted to swap the engine from Bibit (kept it for Spare parts because she ran sweet - just all the electrical and suspension problems put the final nail in her coffin) but... I don't have the time or intestinal fortitude to attempt an engine swap LOL!!

Hopefully this is a quick and easy fix...???? Help...

Bob

IMG_20171212_201114.jpg

That's the oil cooler.

Is it possible that in the process of changing the oil filter you may have damaged the new o-ring when re-installing the housing? Could be that it is just leaking out near the oil cooler.

Thanks booneylander!

I can remove the housing and check again... seems odd that leak stops when engine is stopped tho. I'll check it out this weekend

It could be the O ring but I have seen one of those weird oil coolers spring a leak. Keep us updated. FYI- that oil cooler is an expensive item from the dealer, but it would be a lot easier getting it off the other engine than making am engine swap.

Thanks Gregg!

It seems that the O ring makes more sense...since the leak only started AFTER my oil change. I'll park it for now and hit it on the weekend. Keep you posted.

So the "rectangular contraption" is the oil cooler. Good to know :-)

Hi Peeps!

This pesky oil leak.. grrrrr.. Back on the road after a short siesta. Too damn cold to drive a Cabrio in the winter even after installing a Canadian Tire Space Heater with a 2000W Power Inverter LOL.

I posted a while back that during my first oil change on Bibit 2, how I needed to use an impact wrench to remove the oil filter housing after the previous owner over torqued (Tolsen... I could hear you laughing as you responded). Then this post a few months back... The leak definitely comes from the housing (not oil cooler) and the only way to stop the leak is to torque the "mudda fracker" to infinity and beyond!!??? 

I swapped the filter housing from the original Bibit and the result is the same - torque the hell out of it if I want the stop the leak. Any suggestions (other than swapping the Oil Cooler)? I guess I can continue to "over torque"... then Impact wrench to remove but I have reservations about the long term viability of this plan. Should I double up on the O-Ring, liquid gasket...??

Spring is here and I would like to use the Cabrio without getting an "oil treatment" each time...unless of course it promotes hair growth... :blink: in which case...I'm in!!

Bob

Is there a huge rubber o-ring seal on the filter cap?  If not, this is your problem.  If it is there and the leak is still present, I suspect the housing is damaged.

There is no point overtightening oil filter cap as it has an o-ring seal.  O-ring should seal when cap is finger tight.

Does this mean you agree with Mike T and the housing is damaged? 

I have to agree with you Tolsen (you have never steered me wrong) but... the only way to stop this leak is to over torque. And Mike T... o-ring is in place. I had changed it at the suggestion of Booneylander when the leak appeared back in Dec (car was stored for winter). 

Since I torqued her up, the leak has pretty much stopped (a few drops now and then) but I know next oil change will be in challenge again. 

If it is housing... a big job to swap? I still have a spare on Bibit... I I hoping to attempt an engine swap soon. Would hate to strip good parts and then redo when/if I find the time (and courage) to tackle that task.

Cheers!

Bob

Inspect seal area on metal oil filter housing.  Inspect plastic oil filter cover for cracks.  Remove o-ring, inspect and clean.  Clean and inspect o-ring groove.

Refit and clean all around oil filter housing.  Go for a spirited drive and check for leaks when you return.  

I have seen leaking oil filter housing covers where o-ring groove is damaged by gouge marks caused by some sharp object.  I assume caused by somebody prying off o-ring with a knife or small and sharp screw driver.

Thanks Tolsen! Now I have a plan. 

A "spirited drive"??? It's a diesel Smart LOL!

Keep you posted!

Bob

2 hours ago, buzz271432 said:

A "spirited drive"??? It's a diesel Smart LOL!

LOL .. There are lots of "twisties" in your area if you stay off the 401 where the diesel smart can be real fun to drive. 

With a decent remap, it is possible to wind it up to over 160 in the right conditions.  In fact, mine has done 169 going downhill in a 120 zone, and 169 is very nearly as fast as the flat road top speed of my 1966 Peugeot.  With wider tires in particular, they're go-karts.

Mike T... 169??? I've had fast cars (modified Corvette '76) and up until recently race bikes (Ducatti 996)... never had an issue with "high speed". I took Bibit 1 up to 135... I was not "feelin it".  Maybe I'm  getting old"er"... it just didn't feel like she was meant to go there so I prefer "leisurely rides" LOL. 

So... just finished. I took Tolsen's advice. A good cleaning of oil filter cap, cleaned up the housing and fitted a new filter and O-Ring and didn't over torque at all. A 30 minute "spirited ride" and... everything is dry underneath. 

Getting ready for the Inspection in June and oil leaks are "frowned upon" or so I've  heard. 

All is good in Camelot! Thanks again for helping this wannabe mechanic. 

Cheers!

Bob

Haha, 240 is a good speed, but not in a smart.  A good blast on the Autobahn clears the cobwebs away every time.  With a spoiler and wide tires/sports suspension, even a smart can feel good at 160.