Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
miker

P0302 - Misfire Cylinder 2

3 posts in this topic

So my '06 CDI was running a bit rough on start up on cold mornings and I thought I'd order in a code reader off Amazon (with bluetooth so my phone could talk to it).  It came up with P0302 code - misfire on cylinder 2.  I looked around a bit and read someone suggest Seafoam.  The next day I was in Canadian Tire with the wife (there was some big sale on) and hey, there's a stack of Seafoam right there.  I picked up a can and over the course of the next couple of weeks fed it into the tank and guess what?  The engine started purring again and no more 0302 fault codes.

Hopefully using this additive moderately regularly will prevent further issues, but I figured I'd post here on the forum that knows everything about the Smart Car in case I'm missing something.  I guess in the Summer I'd better finally figure out how to remove and clean the EGR valve.  I should probably order those tools for the belts as well for the next time I have to change em.  Just did the alternator belt and it was way harder than any other car I've worked on.  Flat head screw driver had to get the job done instead of the easy green tools this time.

You probably had a gummed up injector and the seafoam cleared it out. 

Lucky that all it took was a cheap can of liquid mechanic. In my experience that's rarely the case but good on you :) 

Cool! I didn't know you could put Seafoam in a diesel. I haven't been using any additives in my CDI.