GRP151

KEY FOB BATTERY REPLACEMENT TIP

23 posts in this topic

• The other day my key fob was being difficult transmitting to the Smart receiver. As it turned out the battery was dying. After searching around for the replacement type I found an alternative type the CR1220. Identical in size, except for a slight variation in thickness, but doable. Apparently the only difference I could find was that the CR1225 is 50 mAh vs the alternative 35 mAh. A small difference when comparing availability and price. I picked up 2 of them in a pack for $1.29 from my local dollar store. At .65 cents each I thought it was a good buy. I stuck the additional battery in my wallet. So in case your in a jamb and didn't know of an alternative battery this is it!

• I'm sure there are better deals on ebay or other online stores but when your in a jam this is useful to know.  

Another gift Idea from me to you. Happy holidays 

2 people like this

Just checked my key fob batteries. Found one has the 1220 whilst the other two have the 1225. I can only guess I fitted wrong battery by mistake. Has worked fine though. 

On 12/24/2017 at 9:09 AM, GRP151 said:
  • The other day my key fob was being difficult transmitting to the Smart receiver. As it turned out the battery was dying. After searching around for the replacement type I found an alternative type the CR1220. Identical in size, except for a slight variation in thickness, but doable. Apparently the only difference I could find was that the CR1225 is 50 mAh vs the alternative 35 mAh. A small difference when comparing availability and price. I picked up 2 of them in a pack for $1.29 from my local dollar store. At .65 cents each I thought it was a good buy. I stuck the additional battery in my wallet. So in case your in a jamb and didn't know of an alternative battery this is it!

• I'm sure there are better deals on ebay or other online stores but when your in a jam this is useful to know.  

Another gift Idea from me to you. Happy holidays 

Fob wouldn't respond just as I was trying to lock up while going into Walmart. Good thin g I read this post a few days ago and they had CR1220 for under 2 bucks! Thanks for the info GRP!

I believe that the correct battery is the CR1216. that is what i have replaced with in the past, and keep on hand as a spare, if needed. Some of the "Dollar Stores" used to sell the 3 pack. You may be able to wedge in a thicker battery, but it is not actually designed for that.

1 person likes this

CR1216 is on the thin side since nearly 1 mm thinner than specified battery. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

CR1220 work great compared to the price of the CR1225. I like that its thin. I can stick a spare battery in the case in the event it dies. Thanks for the tip GRP!

Edited by NFB
spell check not working with explorer!

I like the idea of putting a spare battery in the case. I haven't seen any CR1216's anywhere but that sounds like it would fit even better

I leave spare battery inside car together with tools to pry key fob open and change  its battery. 

Tools to pry open thefob?? Don't you mean a coin? left in the car may be trouble some if doors are locked and someone toothpicked your hatch lock. Then what?

Better in the case where it is nice and warm together with the key.Just saying.

My special tool is a UK 50p coin. It is perfect for prying open the later Smart 450 key fob. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

A 50p coin, wow! that is quite the tool. I use any coin that is nearby or when I feel daring I use "another " key on my chain. Amazing as it sounds there are some of us that carry more than one key. I know, I know its hard to believe but its true. Here in this ice cold land we call Canada you have to be resourceful to survive, knowing little tricks like this is essential for life or death situations. You can't take a chance with all these wild polar bears nearby.

Edited by GetSmart

One of my three keys has original battery as old as my Smart possibly several months before April 2002  when the car was first registered in the UK. 

13 hours ago, tolsen said:

I leave spare battery inside car together with tools to pry key fob open and change  its battery. 

I've considered this but have always wondered about the battery sitting in -20 and lower temperatures for several weeks in a row or for that matter, all winter. 

Il y a 2 heures, TheHandyHobbit a dit :

I've considered this but have always wondered about the battery sitting in -20 and lower temperatures for several weeks in a row or for that matter, all winter. 

I don't think there is any need for concern.  The last remaining original battery that came with my Smart and now in one of the keys was the original spare from 2002.  This sat in the wee drawer below radio until not long ago, so for nearly 16 years, winters, summers, springs and autumns.  Its voltage is right in spite of its age.  My only worry is possible leakage so I keep an eye on it.

1 person likes this

As I mentioned, I prefer an extra button battery stuffed in my wallet where the temperature is well above freezing. That way it doesn't jeopardize battery performance.  If the CR1216 works well. then all the better having a thinner battery to store away.

It seems my research has lead me to supposidly the best button batteries made. Renata. Swiss made Silver Oxide.

The Swiss would say that ;)  everything is better in CH

1 hour ago, GRP151 said:

It seems my research has lead me to supposedly the best button batteries made. Renata. Swiss made Silver Oxide.

According to my watchmaker, Renata are the best...

1 person likes this

My other two keys have batteries from the Poundshop. Only a Pound for about 45 batteries of various sizes. I’ve been using them for several decades and have not noticed any difference. 

Il y a 4 heures, GRP151 a dit :

It seems my research has lead me to supposidly the best button batteries made. Renata. Swiss made Silver Oxide.

Must be very shallow research you have done there. CR2025 is Lithium, not silver oxide. 

6 hours ago, tolsen said:

My other two keys have batteries from the Poundshop. Only a Pound for about 45 batteries of various sizes. I’ve been using them for several decades and have not noticed any difference. 

5 hours ago, tolsen said:

Must be very shallow research you have done there. CR2025 is Lithium, not silver oxide. 

Oops! Meant to say 'NOT" silver oxide. But I noticed  you are mentioning "CR2025".What does that have to do with CR1225 ? 

1 person likes this