LifeinSerenity

Thinking out loud

14 posts in this topic

The decision has been made to buy our first Smart. We have test driven and really like a 2009 passion. Like everything about it but the silver on silver. Just under $3 k 95000km 

But now we have been offered 2005 convertible 125000km running but needs brakes and 2006 convertible not running ( say fuse box issues). 195000k. For $2400 but have not done any hard negotiating   Have looked at them yet as it would be a 4 hr drive there and back. Love the idea of convertible and the green. But not so keen on getting a real potential project. 

Any ideas   All welcome.

Edited by LifeinSerenity

4 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

From my experience the 2009 should be the most reliable.

Thank You  Huronlad we are just down the road by Bayfield. We are thinking the same thing. It won't be a daily driver only when the weather permits unlike a day like today and to be towed behind our motorhome. We really wanted a convert but they all seem to be taken or over priced by our standards. 

Thats a really good price. My housemates both got a 2008 passion ($7,000)  and a 2009 passion ($8,000). When I went to insure my 2006 pulse they valued it at $5,500 all cars have around 70k to 90k kms

Well I went and looked at the 05 and 06 convertibles. Let’s just say that the best part of the day was the drive in the snow. The running car had to be boosted to start and was a total mess inside. The exhaust was rattling like crazy. A code reader was sitting on the passenger seat. I took it around the block and came ba k back to put the code reader to work. Only 10 codes. 

I guess the 09 it will be. 

Mine is a 02 Smart 450 Cabrio and runs like a bomb. Later Smart cars are both thirsty and unreliable. Shy away from them is my advice. 

If memory serves, an 02 that had to be nearly rebuilt from top to bottom, that does not scream reliable to me.  My 451 uses about 1L extra per hundred km of fuel to what my 450 returned.  The 451 has heat to spare in the winter.  After 6+ years the AC still works like new.  The 450 needs regular service twice as often.  My 451 has been the best car I have owned to date.  Front brakes, 2 brake lamp switches and an alternator are the only parts needed on my 451 in 180k km.  The brake lamp switches were under warranty.

Only buy a 450 if you have your own shop and constantly enjoy maintaining a vehicle.

You are lucky. Not so with the millions owners of 451 MHD stop start cars. Totally let down by Smart. For that reason I will never buy a new Smart car ever. Whoever is in charge at Smart should be fired.

Edited by smartzuum
Edited the New Years Eve 'oops, I didn't actually say that out loud did I?' post.

6 hours ago, Huronlad said:

Only buy a 450 if you have your own shop and constantly enjoy maintaining a vehicle.

That's pretty harsh. The 451s have plenty of their own issues and I would argue they are generally more costly to repair when they do go wrong.

I have had plenty of both 450s and 451s. Like any used car, you can get a lemon or you can get a gem. I think either one requires much more proactive care and maintenance per km as compared to other car brands. But I think if you have a reasonable mechanic or can do simple maintenance yourself, they can be both quite reliable and quite economical. 

One comment I do have however is that the 450 seems to do better being regularly driven and for longer trips whereas the 451 seems to cope better with short blasts, no doubt because it gets up to temp much more quickly in cold weather.

Edited by booneylander
1 person likes this

Neither are  good choice for reliable transportation - for that buy a Toyota or Honda - but for enthusiasts, it could make sense.

Well we couldn’t make it to the city to let the wife test drive the 09. But another person could so we missed out on it :(  The search continues 

Well the search is over. Thanks to this forum weather permitting we are picking up our 2006 Grandstyle on Wednesday. Our sure we will be visiting Glenn is the future 😀