13 posts in this topic

Hi there!

This will be my first winter with my 2005 diesel smart car. It's been extremely cold these past few days and my car has not been able to start. I was told that leaving it plugged in for an hour in the morning before work using the block heater would help. I got the car used and unfortunately I don't really know much about cars although I'm eager to learn. There's what I'm assuming is the converter on the left front of the car, I was told the block heater was sold separately and directly from Mercedes-Benz. If anyone could provide some insight on this (ie. pictures of what either would look like?) or provide feedback on how they keep their cars going in the winter it would be much appreciated!!

Audrey

Welcome to the club.

The '05 smart diesel doesn't come with a block heater.  The plug at the front of the car (see photo) has all the wiring to send power into the cabin near the battery.  Under the carpeting, you will find a female plug which will be "live" when the inlet at the front of the car is plugged in to household current.  It can provide power to a cabin heater (see second photo) or a battery heating pad.

Personally, I use an oil pan heater which was installed by "Uncle Glenn" and my car hasn't failed to start once due to the cold we've had this past week.  A short trip to London to see  "Uncle Glenn" will solve the problem of warming the engine oil.  He can install an oil pan heating pad while you wait.  Just click on the link to contact him to make an appointment.

Ron :bike:

Smart Plug.jpg

Smart Heater.jpg

1 person likes this

Just thought that I would chime in about what for me was a new Winter experience for my 2005 Cabriolet.

Christmas day at -15 C I spent one half an hour trying to get up my snowed in driveway going both forward and in reverse with the traction control intermittently turning on and off and in the process sending rooster tails of snow and ice across the street.

I didn't drive the car for two weeks and yesterday at -20 C even with a high current battery charger attached across the battery, the car wouldn't turn over.

It seems likely that I have the dreaded seized alternator issue and my only hope is that it is a result of ice build up from the rooster tails which will melt away as soon as it gets above freezing.

1 person likes this

Just a quick suggestion, in case you haven't already tried it.  Try 'cycling' the key on....wait for the glow plug light to go out, then shut the key off, turn it back on again .. Repeat two or three times, then try to start.

Good luck

Ron :bike:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

a battery warmer is a great idea...i dug one out of my hoard just a few days ago but havent installed it yet...i also have a silicone pad oil pan heater coming in the mail (coming from china hopefully it doest burn my car to the ground)...this is the first winter ive had hard starts...man its been cold

ill probably be wiring them both up to battery box cord and then removing that weird factory connector out front and replacing it with a normal male end plug

theres a thread here somewhere explaining how to make a plug to disable ESP temporarily...you just need an obd2 plug from ebay and then solder two terminals together (i dont remember which ones)....it will disable the ESP and the ABS ...only good for getting up your driveway ...you have to remove it and restart the car to safely go down the road 

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:25 AM, Leadwing said:

Personally, I use an oil pan heater which was installed by "Uncle Glenn" and my car hasn't failed to start once due to the cold we've had this past week.  A short trip to London to see  "Uncle Glenn" will solve the problem of warming the engine oil.  He can install an oil pan heating pad while you wait.  Just click on the link to contact him to make an appointment.

I agree with "Leadwing". Glenn installed my oil pan heater 3 years ago and my '05 CDI has always started on the first cycle of the glow plugs..........even during the last 2 weeks of -15 to  -20 parked outside.

1 person likes this

Hello All. 

In the post above the 2005 doesn’t come with a block heater. Is that the same for a 2006? 

1 person likes this

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Unfortunately I had to leave it at work overnight on Saturday due to the fact that it wouldn't start at all (even when attempting to jump start it). Yesterday we jump started it using a friends car, then used a charger on the battery for the afternoon and it started that evening after work.

I'm looking into getting an oil pan heater for it as that seems to be about the same in function as the block heater (as well as much cheaper). Hopefully it'll all work out and The Smartie will live through the winter!

Just an update to my previous post about my car not turning over (seized) at -20 C even with a high current battery booster across the battery.

My speculation was that the open frame alternator had accumulated ice and snow from my 30 minutes of trying to get up my driveway which caused it to seize.

Today at +1 C I went out to start the car and it had no problem, first turn of the key.

That's good to hear! I'm hoping that when I start mine this afternoon the same thing will happen :)

The 2006 Smart C.D.I. comes with the block heater as standard equipment.  The manual specifies plugging in the car 2 hours in advance for temperatures just below 0 degrees Celsius.  For temperatures below minus 10 degrees Celsius, plug the car in 3 hours in advance.  An electrical timer is handy.  Having a battery heating blanket is an excellent idea, about 80 watts.  When the battery is warm it can throw out full current as it would in the summer time.  When the battery is warm, it is able to accept a rapid charge right away from the alternator.  If a battery is very cold, it can resist being charged by the alternator for half an hour, if I recall correctly.  Everything is working against a battery in the cold.  Heating the battery and engine means everything to longevity and sure starts.  In fact, when the car is plugged in (block heater & battery warmer) for the prescribed time, I can twist the key straight to start without waiting for the glow-plugs and the engine fires right up.  That saves your glow plugs life!  Once a month I plug a trickle charger onto my battery and plug in the battery warmer at the same time just to make sure it is 'topped up.'  

Hello I just picked up an low km 05 cdi. Where is the best place to get an oil pan heater purchased and installed? 

Many thanks! Love this little car

I bought two of these polar heating pads, the bigger square one to be stuck onto oil pan, the thinner one to be stuck onto the rad bottom tank.....both are on and working perfectly. They get HOT...can't touch them with the back of your hand at all.  I spoke with the owner and he suggested these were to two for the job. I want the radiator warmed up as well as the oil. That way the engine will be warm at start up and so will coolant. IF you don't heat coolant as soon as it opens the thermostat the cold coolant will shock the system and cool down the engine all over again to some extent. I also installed a ceramic heater to be mounted on a board to sit behind seats to blow forward all operating at the same time.....tried it out today.....for 2 hours and it works well. Didn't heat cables up at all, or kicked out any breakers. So I'm happy.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015CXHG06/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B075PWYH6W/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

Hope this works.

1 person likes this