Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carlc1979

ED during winter

8 posts in this topic

Hi ! 

I am planning to buy a Smart fort 2018 ED...  I am just a bit worried about the fact that it will have to stay outside (no garage) during the winter. 

As temperatures have been between -20 and -30 for the last week here in Quebec, I was wondering if the new electric Smarts are reliable during the winter coldest days. 

Do I have to be worried that my car won't turn on when it's freezing like today? 

I would obviously plug my car at home, but won't be able to do so at my workplace. 

Thanks for your help ! 

This is my 3rd winter with an ED and have had no problems.

However the cold weather has cut the range to 60-70kms. Not an issue for me because over 90% of my trips are under 30kms.

My experience was exactly the same as Glenn's. No winter problems in 3 years, other than reduced range.

This is our first year with our '17 ED. We changed tires right after delivery to Vredestein Quatrac 5's

which are snow rated. Not too much snow driving yet but, in what we had the car was amazing!

No more traction control problems like the cdi had, it just goes!

Yay! This is truly reassuring!  Thanks for your help ! 

Were you leaving the car outside unplugged for many hours just like I will? 

I really am excited about buying one now eheh! 

-30 might be challenging unless its plugged in.     In the 451 model there is a heater element in the battery coolant line that comes on below -10C, but only if the car is plugged in.

Ours spends nights in our garage but days outside in the cold where it charges from 120V at my wife's office.  It has definitely done sub -15 ish.  Available energy drops off pretty quickly below -10.    We did take it out in -23 for a drive Saturday and 23 km took about 40% of the available battery capacity.

hope that helps.