SmartloverCROCOP

where to buy battery
Where to buy battery for Smart electric drive years 2012-2014?

9 posts in this topic

I am thinking of buying used smart electric drive years 2012-2014,but I found out that none of them contains battery and needs battery to be rented every month from some smart car partner.Can anyone please tell me where can I buy in Central Europe a battery for smart and what would be the price?

I can't comment on Europe, but in Canada all the used Smart EDs that I've seen include the battery.    I'm not sure why anyone would remove the battery.   Without it the car would have little value.

51 minutes ago, Blaine said:

I can't comment on Europe, but in Canada all the used Smart EDs that I've seen include the battery.    I'm not sure why anyone would remove the battery.   Without it the car would have little value.

I dont know either,but most Smart EDs 2012-2014 or such dont have batteries and you have to rent them every month for like 65 euros which is about 70 dollars.

Im just curious,can you tell me how much is used Smart ED 2012-2014 in Canada?

In Europe its about 7000 euros without battery,which you have to rent.Makes no logic,but people are making lots of many on cryptos so not many things are logical these days.

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, SmartloverCROCOP said:

Here is a Canada wide search listing sale prices of used ED smarts in Canadian dollars. Price in U.S dollars is about 80% of the Canadian dollar price.

Price does not include sale tax which in the Province in which I live is 13% which is paid when the car is registered.

https://ca.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d2621&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=M4G&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true

Edited by smartdriver

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, SmartloverCROCOP said:

I dont know either,but most Smart EDs 2012-2014 or such dont have batteries and you have to rent them every month for like 65 euros which is about 70 dollars.

From owners in the US, M-B is not forcing anyone to rent the battery in used cars but if you do not pay the rental fee the battery is not warrantied for the possible 8 or 10 years.

Edited by Huronlad

It’s not like the battery can be popped out and replaced with a fresh one. It’s well integrated into the car. 

22 hours ago, darren said:

It’s not like the battery can be popped out and replaced with a fresh one. It’s well integrated into the car. 

I'm not sure that's true.   The battery is in a canister that is bolted into a hole under the bottom of the car.   The metal canister has plugs for HV, controls and coolant.  Have a look on youtube for a manufacturing video (older version of the battery).

A used 451 ED (with battery) near Toronto is going for about C$ 10000 +/- 1000.   Plus tax.   There are quite a few so you might be able to haggle.   kilometers seems to range from about 10k to about 55k. 

Ours has about 60k on it, does 450km / week, and we plan to drive it to death.    I'd love to figure out the specs for the battery interface, it seems like you should be able to build your own as the prices continue to drop on the cells.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:11 AM, SmartloverCROCOP said:

In Europe its about 7000 euros without battery,which you have to rent.Makes no logic,but people are making lots of many on cryptos so not many things are logical these days.

What I'm saying is that M-B is not about to sell useless cars without batteries. It's not a DIY job, since the battery likely weighs hundreds of pounds, and likely requires specialized equipment to install and remove it.