ACSTECH

Mysterious coolant leak

43 posts in this topic

That looks like the smart pump to me.

7 minutes ago, smart142 said:

That looks like the smart pump to me.

Our pump has third pumping element cut off, different low pressure seals and no pressure regulator fitted on pump. 

Our Bosch CP1 pump:

pump.jpg

Note there is no bolted on pressure regulator.

Generic exploded view of our pump:

Bosch_CP1_Expl_View.jpg

Pressure regulator is item 6.  Our engine has pressure regulator built into left side of common rail

Cut out solenoid for third pumping element is item 32.  Parts numbering in above diagram appears somewhat cocked up in that many different seals have same item number.  I assume reason is one time in the past all these items used to come in a particular kit from Bosch.

Here is Smart's repair kit for the pump:

A6600780080.jpg

In my experience it is only the small rubber o-rings that fail:

DSC03070.jpg

I therefore believe you may as well just fit 6 Viton o-rings of the right size to sort out your pump.

1 person likes this

All parts numbered 7 used to come in same Bosch kit.  This is still the case now except the rotary seal is no longer in the seal kit and must be bought separately. 

It takes me two hours to change all 6 o-rings on the 3 stub connector pipes between heads and pump body.  Most time is spent cleaning and preventing dirt contaminating fuel system.  This therefore also means dressing up in clean boiler suit, no spitting or dribling of chewing tobacco on parts, clean hands, clean tools and clean work surfaces before start of work.

Removing pump from engine can often take several days, not necessarily working full time but to allow penetration fluid to enter seized bolts.  Getting all parts back where they were is always quicker than dismantling.  I grease bolts and nuts prone to seizure.

o ring.png

I can't find my Bosch CP1 seals just now.  Obviously mislaid as usual.  In May 2012 I purchased a box full of Viton o-rings to rebuild these pumps.  Invoice states 1 x 2mm Section 4.5mm Bore VITON Rubber O-Rings, hence 2 mm section, 4.5 ID and 8.5 mm OD, or A = 4.5 mm and B = 8.5 mm.

I noticed mine was leaking by the yellow slushy snow below it after running for a while (-40 c) while cleaning off the vehicles. I thought it was a coolant leak because the drips hanging under the engine looked blue like the coolant. I figured the yellow was the coolant reacting with the asphalt on the driveway. Couldn’t figure out why coolant was over there (hence the thread title) figured it out after finally taking a sample in a dish and trying to ignite it.

life got busy with a new bay and all and this job went to the back burner. Hoping to start Saturday and finish Sunday. Driving the truck to work and back Monday to Friday is costing me $170 (cad) a week compared to the $50 with my smart. Hope to be done soon.

Some pumps attempted repaired by mechanics or owners had other leaks and issues but these were caused by the clumsy repairers. 

I've been handed for rebuild stripped down pumps in cardboard boxes or shopping bags with parts often missing.  Have also seen mechanics attempting seal replacement with pump in situ. Have so far never seen that being successful.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

Everything is apart however the pump does not want to pull off the engine....

is it a tight fit onto the side of the engine? I am about to use a piece of wood and dead blow hammer to loosen it but I don’t know how it is attached. All 3 bolts are out, 2 Input fuel lines and rigid high pressure line all removed.

Edited by ACSTECH

On 2/13/2018 at 4:21 PM, smart142 said:

That's a tight fit to the engine block so use lots of penetrating oil and then wiggle it out.  Have patience and good luck!

Be gentle!

Posted (edited) · Report post

DSC03066.jpg

The o-ring sometimes locks pump in its bore in cylinder head. Remember to grease this o-ring when refitting pump. 

Note how I have sealed fuel ports to avoid  contamination. 

Edited by tolsen

probably any kind would be ok

it comes in contact with engine oil and blow by gas so anything is probably safe

Purpose of greasing o-rings is to ease assembly and prevent damage to o-rings.  Use normal mineral lithium grease when assembling pump.

I always use cheap supermarket penetration oil to clean parts when working on diesel pumps.  Less than £2 for a 400 ml spray can here.

Grease is good for the o-rings in the pump.  Eases assembly and less chance of damaging o-rings.  Also perfect for ensuring the wee metal seal rings stay in right position when assembling something GRP151's diesel can't do.

Of course compressed air is also handy.