MikeT

Voltage: how low can you go?

39 posts in this topic

Yeah... so back to our regularly scheduled programming....

The dealer checked all the modules on Saturday; plus grounds and starter cable and they were all OK.

Engine dropped again, re&re alternator with another new one. 

Installed it, did a 5 minute initial test which was OK, parked it 4 hours, then did another 30 minute road test, both times using the ScanGauge monitoring voltage and they tell me it's fine now, and ready for pick-up.  So I will try to get it Monday night.

Second batch of work was no charge.  So glad I did not do this installation myself.

Edited by MikeT

Mike, I'll  keep my fingers crossed this is a lasting repair but would have liked to learn what was wrong with those two alternators.  Please ask them.

1560, new intercooler, new (redesigned) intercooler holder, new alternator (I have the old one), alternator belt as parts; and labour for all that plus installing a new intercooler fan that I supplied at the same time.  Without the IC fan it'd have been 33 less.

Strange they charged extra to fit the fan. Same work load whether they fitted the existing fan or a new one.

Good point, but overall the price was right.  Parts alone were $962.56 before the discount of $96.26.  I also had the battery in one of the three keys replaced.  I expected $1500 before tax and it was actually $1396.

Plus, as I say, if I had done it myself, I'd have done it twice in a cold garage taken twice as long (couple of days) and my time is worth a LOT more than that $450 odd labour charge to me.

C$ 450 in labour is very reasonable for all that work. 

Quite a coincidence charging that amount in labour for repairing a 450!

I was only off 10% of my guesstimate of the cost and correctly diagnosed that the replacement alternator was defective.

Fyi - it has come to my attention that Mercedes is now supplying remanufactured alternators instead of new.

2 hours ago, smart142 said:

Fyi - it has come to my attention that Mercedes is now supplying remanufactured alternators instead of new.

Are they still charging "new" prices or is it a reduced cost due to the items not being new but simply remanufactured?

I think (without having the bill near me now) that the cost of the unit was close to $400 and I kept the old alternator, so there may have been a core charge.  I gather new ones were over $500.  Maybe I will sell them my core and get the cost before tax at under $1300 ;)

Collected Snowball tonight and she's back to new.  Voltage held at a constant 13.8-14.1 throughout the ride home. 

They did a full teardown on many of the electrical components including SAM removal but found nothing, before replacing the alternator, again.  An expensive piece of work.  They should have some words with the rebuilder.

I am SO glad I didn't do this work myself!

Edited by MikeT

I'm so lucky because I have a local rebuilder who I've known for over 20 years - he does quality work and his rebuilds have never let me down.

For club members I can install a rebuilt alternator for $450 all in.

1 person likes this

I've got to say: the warranty on this stuff for two years is a good thing, too.  Already used it! ;)

I am surprised there is a warranty at all if it's an undocumented cash transaction ;)

Or maybe you just meant it's 150 with tax?