TrishM

Heat? How long to get some?

10 posts in this topic

So I picked up my 2018 smart ED on Friday and I think the heating system is broken.

I am lucky if any heat comes out of the vents at around 15-20min of driving.

I have checked with other EV drivers here at work and theirs is almost immediate (say within 2 min or so).  But no one here has a smart so I'm checking in.  I may have to take him in.

I'm driving a 2014 ED -- the heater works fairly quickly, pumps warm air within a minute or so. So, I'd guess something could be wrong with your's. That said, I tend to bundle up and make do with the heated seats and use the heater mostly for defogging. Whatever it is, hopefully, it's a minor issue and a quick. 

Are they outfitted with diesel heaters? Just being curious.  

Have anyone fitted a wood burning stove inside their Smart car?

IIRC another 453 ED owner commented on the 453 heater being less effective than in the 451 version but 15-20 minutes to heat up is ridiculous.  Make smart fix it.

No problem with the heater on our 2017 453 ED. Of course the ambient air temperature

difference might have something to do with it...:rolleyes:

Another '17 453 chiming in but our ambient is substantially lower here in Edmonton.  It mostly goes from garage to garage but a few times it has been parked outside at sub-20°C for hours at a time with no heat issues.  I think you need to bring it back to the dealer.

I've owned both a 2013 and traded for the 2017 Smart ED, both heat up quick, but the 2013 was for sure better in that regard.   

I think the 2017 has a similar sized heater, as the dash reports 3kW when heating, about the same as the 2013.

The 2017 takes a few xtra minutes to get hot hot hot when it's 0C or colder out, but within 4 minutes, it's toasty.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I found some heat last night!  But not a lot and again this morning.  Same commute home.  The clock in my display is also losing time.  Yesterday at 5pm my car said it was 2...  This morning I was leaving for work at 8am and it said it was 1am.

My sterring wheel stopped heating about half way into my drive, had to turn it off and back on for it to start up again.

I think the battery that controls all of this is having some issues.

Also...they filled my car with normal windshield fluid...it was frozen this morning arrgh!

But!  It is a great ride despite the small hiccups :)

Edited by TrishM
Typos

I have a 2014, and have run it in temperates as low as -35, and it's never taken more than 2 minutes to start heating.