SBD

Range - 110V vs. 240V Charge

11 posts in this topic

I'm sorry if this question was already asked, I did a search but couldn't find anything specifically.

I'm looking to see if anyone has had any range differences when charging at a 110V vs. 240V.

Recently it's been a bit warmer here in NB between -10 and 5 degrees, and I've been getting about 70-75 km per charge at 100% ECO. On the weekend I was in town and charged at a 240V NB power charger, and on the way home my car got 95km, which is significantly more than what I was getting previously during the same driving conditions.

Has anyone else had this happen? This makes me want to install a 240V charger if that's the case!

Charging voltage won't make any difference to anticipated or actual range.

Temperature and previous driving data will make the difference...

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, SBD said:

on the way home my car got 95km, which is significantly more than what I was getting previously during the same driving conditions.

Just curious of you actually drove 95km on the 240V charge or was this the predicted range?

I drove 40km and when I got home I had just a smidge below 60% left of the gauge in addition to the predicted range being 55km.

I never rely on the estimated or predicted change as it varies so much with driving patterns, I rely heavily on the gauges on the dash.

I've found that a strong headwind on the highway (or a tailwind) can make a huge difference to range. Also just a gut feeling, but I think one 40km trip in cold weather will chew through less power than several shorter trips that add up to 40km -- especially if the battery sits and gets cold again between trips. Don't know if any of that applies to you what you experienced.

It takes a lot longer to charge with 110v.  Other than that, no difference.  Perhaps you are not quite getting a full charge with 110?

That's what I'm thinking as well, that maybe I'm not getting a full charge with a 110V, however it does stop, and show 100%. I may have to ask the dealer when it's time for my maintenance maybe.

Have you used a 240V charger on more than this one occasion and did it return the same results?  If the effect can not be repeated, then it has nothing to do with charging voltage.

On 1/29/2018 at 3:54 PM, SBD said:

any range differences when charging at a 110V vs. 240V.

Recently it's been a bit warmer here in NB between -10 and 5 degrees, and I've been getting about 70-75 km per charge at 100% ECO. On the weekend I was in town and charged at a 240V NB power charger, and on the way home my car got 95km, which is significantly more than what I was getting previously during the same driving conditions.

No.  Battery cells hold the same charge no matter the voltage they were charged at.

On 1/29/2018 at 6:00 PM, lebikerboy said:

Charging voltage won't make any difference to anticipated or actual range.

Temperature and previous driving data will make the difference...

^^ This!

Using the battery (drawing energy from the cells) and charging the battery (putting energy into the cells) both cause warming of the battery cells.

Warmer cells are more efficient than colder cells at drawing energy.   This reduces the watt hours per kilometer used.

If you drive a distance, park and charge, and then drive again, you have done two heat cycles to the cells and the battery is more efficient for this profile of usage when compared to starting the car from a cold morning without pre-heating the car (pre-condition).

I have driven 30000 km in a Smart ED in all conditions charging on 120V.

The key to getting the best range in cold weather is pre-conditioning the car before leaving.   

Unfortunately, Smart has disabled the app used to do this pre-condition, so you need to manually select this option when shutting the car off the night before (see owners manual for instructions).

With EVs, HOW you drive is the most important factor. If you're getting 100% on the ECO score, then you're obviously used to driving gently. Cabin heat, outdoor temperature, headwinds, and other factors all have an influence, but whether you charged at 110 or 240 volts does not make a bit of difference. A full charge is a full charge. It doesn't matter how you got there.

1 person likes this

Thank you all - this is extremely useful!!