TrishM

2018 Smart Ed

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 2018 Smart Ed and I have some questions.  I have owned an ICE smart for almost 10 years previous to this.

The heated seats and steering wheel - are the on a timer?  My manual doesn't mention this - but MB Can is saying it is.

My clock on the Driver display loses time after not being on for 4-5 hours, they say it is a known but but no software fix yet?

They are saying that barely having any heat after 10-15min is normal for the car, that it doesn't heat up like an ICE.  

So if I cannot use the heat in my car and my hands and butt cannot be warmed with the heated seats and steering wheel..how is this a car for Canadian Winters? lol

Edited by TrishM

The heated seats in my 2014 Smart fortwo ED warm up very quickly -- noticeably warm after 1 or 2 minutes. Same with cabin heat, though I don't use it much. The stereo and console clocks generally stay within a minute or two of each other after several months. Something about your car sounds wrong to me -- sorry I don't know enough to even hazard a guess. Maybe take it to a different dealer?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Our 2017 smart Ed heated seats and heated steering wheel start to work almost immediately.

The cabin heater is noticeable after only a couple of minutes and the clock hasn't lost any time since I set it for PST...

M/B is full of kaka.:rolleyes:

Edited by lebikerboy
1 person likes this

My experience with my 2015 Smart ED is that it heats up (both air and seats) way faster than any ICE car I've ever driven. And it will keep heating without any time limit (that I've noticed). So your experience doesn't make sense to me! Maybe the new 2018 version is different? My 3-year lease is up in 6 months and I like the car, so I'm thinking to keep it, especially since I hear that there have been virtually no improvements on the 2018 version.

I've owned the 2013 and now 2017/8 Smart ED (bought in Nov 2017).

They both heat up quickly, and the heated seats are not on a timer, they stay on until turned off.

The 2018 is far more car, far more.  Suspension and handling is improved significantly.   Heated steering wheel is awesome in the cold.   Audio is better (bluetooth and good USB).   Cabin is more quiet and more shoulder room with passengers.

BUT it's the same range (perhaps a few % better), slower (1s slower to 100 km/h) and more expensive.

1 person likes this

Thanks all, I swear my toes almost got frostbite this morning 😜😂❄️

My manual does does not say my heated steering wheel or seat is on a timer, but MB Oakville says it is and that it makes sense as the car is electric and would use too much energy to stay on 😒

I find heat after work as I’m in a garage so he doesn’t get nasty cold, so the heat is there, though once again, it takes longer than my ICE smart,

I thought that I would try to precondition the car, but with the clock not keeping time, the car is never saying it is 745 in the morning when it actually is 745 in the morning. I need to check with Mercedes-Benz Canada to find out when they’re going to release a software update on this, because from reading preconditioning would help quite a bit.

I really do enjoy driving it, a big difference from my 2008 ICE smart.   I am only on my second week of driving it, and I am getting better mileage and my driving habits have changed in order to Help my kWh 🙃

Nasty!  I can't believe that this is normal!

I would demand to see the service manager and have this problem corrected!!

These are not normal issues.  My Smart ED heats quick, clocks keeps time, car pre-conditions on schedule, etc.

My heated steering wheel gets warm quick and stays on for at least an hour, which is the longest trip I've taken in the car in one single drive.

I just picked up my 2018, and I'm having most of the same issues as TrishM. Clock is losing time and the car doesn't get warm when it's on. If I tell it to precondition it warms up, but since the clock loses time that's not really useful. I'll be calling the service department at my dealers tomorrow. I'll update this thread based on what I find out.

Hmm, that's not good, and with the warmer weather coming, new deliveries might not notice an issue until the fall. I sure hope people get to the bottom of these issues.