Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Snowball thread

6 posts in this topic

This coming Monday is the eighth anniversary of us getting our virtually new 2006 smart fortwo BRABUS Canada 1 Tailor Made cabriolet at M-B Midtown Toronto.  We drove it across the USA in February and had a great adventure.  The thread that I used to update annually about this seems to have disappeared, so this new one will have to take its place.

This past year I knew the intercooler was holed, in fact I knew that in October 2016 on the drive back from Indio California where we were at Desert Trip concerts, when oil drops were starting to stick to the rear of the car on the highway.  But I waited because it's quite an expensive repair.  Just as well, because the alternator has also been iffy for about 3 years, although it totally failed about two weeks ago.  So this past year was one of deferred maintenance, though I would hesitate to call the intercooler design flaw "maintenance".  And the alternator failure was also disappointing, considering that our previous diesel smart had nearly 250,000 km on its original alternator when it was written off.  In any case, those were the highlights of the past year from a maintenance perspective.

We have pressed the car into winter service this past month because our son is commuting to UVIC in the Mercedes, but it's been raining for the most part and if there is salt, the car gets sprayed before being parked.  I hope the next few years are smooth sailing because this car has been more needy than our first one, which did suffer from the intercooler problem, but in most respects was more reliable (for example, not having SAM overheating contact problems like this one). 

We're looking forward to the better weather, when the top can come down and we can remember more fully why we bought this car in the first place.

A photo of me and Snowball in London Ontario a few days after we bought her, on steelies and snow tires.

285108London2010.png

3 people like this

And later that evening ...............

Smart Mike Ts Brabus2.jpg

Smart Mike Ts meet 1.jpg

1 person likes this

Looking at these pictures, the head that appears to be sitting on Snowball’s roof is a future Canada1 owner (I must have been really impressed by your new car Mike).

I’m not in the resteraunt group picture, as I was probably still outside drooling and unable to stand up straight.

It was a very good Smart car group evening !!

1 person likes this

Mature might be a better description haha!!

and that's me in the restaurant picture on the left looking young...

9 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

i didnt realize until now that youre all old farts in this place

One of our newest members is 19 years old.   As for the rest of us, you're as old as you feel.