Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Snowball thread

217 posts in this topic

I heard about a couple of Canada Concept 1 BRABUS cabriolets that had come off lease in Toronto late last year and slowly it dawned on me that I should consider looking into one to supplement my green cabriolet, which is racking up the km at an amazing rate now that the kids are driving it.

So there were two: a red one and a white one. Dilemma. Both had under 1000 km on the odometer! One under 850, the other under 350. We had some private message communication between me and BRABUS451 in Toronto and it became apparent that the price, although over the odds for a "regular" 2006 smart cabrio, was reasonable considering the condition of the car and the free two year factory warranty extension, taking it through October 2012. Not to mention that no more than three or perhaps four of these were ever made for Canada.

Posted Image

OK so I bought the white one. It will be driven back to BC in the depth of winter on the snow tires and steelies that were part of the deal. Either towards the end of January or early February. I will have to put some protective coatings on some of the painted surfaces for the trip, some Stongard. And front mudflaps.

Posted Image

When in Toronto it would be nice to have a little get together with me and Sandy T plus whomever else might be available for one evening when we're there. I already told Iain and Glenn that we'd probably be coming. Looking forward to that!

The car was modified to BRABUS spec - white or red painted tridion, full leather/alcantara interior trim, all options. 15 inch BRABUS rims with skinny tires (the tires will be the first thing I change). I like the black look on the rims and look forward to not having to worry about brake dust any more ;)

OK I am pretty excited, this one will be a keeper and one of my kids will probably end up owning the green car several years from now.

1 person likes this

Great purchase Mike!!( IT'S NOT EVEN A PEUGEOT!!) I never thought you would be the one to spend big bucks on a smart! I'm assuming it cost plenty.Nice ride just the same!

Well it was significantly less than half of the price of this same car when it was new! And they were imported and offered at $40K. So it was several thousand cheaper than my new 450 cabriolet was 5 years ago ;) But yes, expensive for a 450 from 2006.

Nice Ride Mike!You know we love the fact there are no black skirts!!Guess you will put some km's on returning home...then time for a service!We will chat tomorrow and hear more details.Congrats! :speak_cool:

Thanks everyone! Should be an adventure.....I hope this car is as good as my present one!

We're probably going to try Interstate 90 instead of the rock-strewn 2 lane TCH in Northern Ontario.

I like smarts when they are either all black or all silver. But this one is really slick, being all white. Congrats! :)

Muriel alerted me to the post and all I could say to Sam was: WOW! That is one nice car, Mike. It's nice to have some excitement into one's life again. Congratulations, Mike. Enjoy!

I have a question Mike.Are those extra-wide fenders,and body kit parts readily available,should they get damaged?Or will this car be like the 'scratch-black',or 'scratch-blue' smarts whose panels are impossible to now duplicate?

Edited by PrairieBoy

The fenders aren't extra wide actually, they're just normal cabriolet ones. The rocker covers and spoiler are available, in fact for2 has a set of the rockers and many members here have the BRABUS spoiler.I don't think I will do the Euro fender conversion on this car....keeping it original seems like a good plan. Well aside from OE cruise control, wider tires and maybe a dual exhaust sometime...Nice to hear from everyone, especially our old friends Sam and Irene on Pender!

Now, HOT, would be this car.... I guess?These were like brothers sitting in a Porsche dealers showroom for 3 years?Maybe they should end up in the same province, perhaps a ferry ride away from each other? :D

post-43-1263446841_thumb.jpg

post-43-1263446854_thumb.jpg

post-43-1263446866_thumb.jpg

This colour scheme came out in Europe as Edition Red... some pictures show red trim floor mats, perhaps the one difference I can see.

post-43-1263447160_thumb.jpg

dude, congratulations on the new vehicle purchase. keep me in the loop when you are coming down to pick it up too and i'll do my best to hang out. have a great day. :D:D:D

Hey thanks again everyone. Keith bought the red one in case his semi-cryptic comments weren't obvious enough! We worked in concert on the purchases. His will be delivered to BC....mine will be driven.....through the USA....So congrats to smartzuuk as well! And bonus points to him for getting the eye popping red one!sponge and smart65, thanks for that, I will ask Duck and smart 142 to spread the word when I know exactly when Sandy T and I will be out there. It's likely going to be in February. We will put a notice in the local area forum for Toronto in advance.

Thanks to Fast Eddy we know that there is another one of these in Canada: a red coupé in the Vancouver area. So that makes it 4 total, three red ones one white one.

sponge and smart65, thanks for that, I will ask Duck and smart 142 to spread the word when I know exactly when Sandy T and I will be out there. It's likely going to be in February. We will put a notice in the local area forum for Toronto in advance.

Just thought I would mention that in Ontario February 15 is a stat holiday. More people could potentially make the pilgrimage to the Mike T.