Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Snowball thread

217 posts in this topic

I forgot to mention, the black wheels have a satin finish and so don't throw a lot of reflected light off, but they look edible in person. Very nice.

Maybe with a bit of road salt, they might even be tastey B) Congrats on your new ride.MG

I've considered trading my black Braabus wheels off, but I would need another set of Brabus wheels in return (16" Monobloc A). I will also have a set of crossblade wheels to stick on the car, which may look sweet!!

I've considered trading my black Braabus wheels off, but I would need another set of Brabus wheels in return (16" Monobloc A). I will also have a set of crossblade wheels to stick on the car, which may look sweet!!

I bet those crossbalde wheels would look good on the car! So excited and happy for both you and Mike. Again, congrats on your finds! :)

Heh thanks, I am breaking her in on I-90 and I-94 in a blizzard; the white car had a brown frozen slush goatee today!

I switched the sportlines with Hankook snowies today for the crossblades..... oops, where's my double deep 17mm socket.... so I gotta get an extender tomorrow to torque properlyAnyway, the bay grey pulse is looking closer to the way canadianturbo had it... but that gap in the rear is crying for a spring kit.... oh well......the red canada1 is heading to the train, or may be on it already

Made it too Bismarck ND today in minus 23 weather, but clear and sunny! Car is great, no worries at all and it's got over 3000 km on the clock now! FE is bad but this is not ideal for posting good numbers. I expect to start off spritmonitor with something north of 5.0 L/100 km as a lifetime average! Tomorrow it's Montana and Friday evening Seattle, back to Fast Eddy's on Saturday mid-afternoon is the plan, home by the evening. Having fun and the long days in the seats are not too taxing. They are more comfortable than those in our 2005, but we're not exactly sure why that would be.

Sweet! Glad to hear things are going well - I wouldn't have imagined it would be that cold taking the US route! Have you guys ever driven that part of the world before?-Iain

Hey Iain, we have never been here before, all new to us. More scenic so far than the CDN prairies. About to hit the road again and enter the MTN time zone,...

So after 1250 km in the saddle at fill-to-fill (stops included) average speeds of 110+ km/h, we are in Missoula Montana. The car has been simply brilliant. I checked the oil just before it got to 4000 km on the odometer and the oil level is exactly the same as it was at Glenn's Place in London ON 3000 km ago. It did a cold start at minus 15 this morning with no complaints (I hadn't attached the cord properly) and the coolant temp was at -7 at start. Weather here is more like the coast: plus three and overcast.Next stop: Seattle Friday PM and then home for late Saturday.

Hi Mike T and Sandy,Wow That was a BIG day of driving! Glad to hear everything has gone so well !That must be the best / Quickest CDI engine break-in-ever. Should be better for a new engine than little short cold runs and multiple dry engine starts! James

On a toll booth on the interstate beltway during the blizzard in Chicago, an attendant at a booth renamed the car for us. He said "That car isn't much larger than a snowball". Snowball it is.....

''Snowball'' with a cellophane wrap :D

Yes! But: It is mostly removed, now that we are in Seattle! Car survived intact and the wrap did not peel off the paint! We will be home tomorrow evening!

'SNOBAL' awaits you at licensing

I've been thinking of a variation on CANADA 1CA ONECDN ONECAN ONECA 1CDN 1CAN 1Maybe you should too?

Great planning and execution!! And you didn't have a back up vehicle like that winter expedition!I like the ''CDN 1'' :D

I'm chilling in a McD's north of Seattle while Sandy T is shopping in an outlet store mall....then we're off to Fast Eddy this PM to get CC activated and a couple other goodies. Then home at last!This car seems to have so much more power than my green one. We were fairly flying up the mountain passes in 5th and 6th gear, when I am sure the other car would have been 10-20 km/h slower. It almost never tells me to shift down from 6th. I'll be sure when I get home, but the speed potential was a pleasant surprise. We had some really high average speeds on this trip, I never would have thought that possible beforehand.The Michalak fog lights are simply amazing. They are like low beam headlights, about 500% better than the lame-assed OE units. As Rod noted when we were installing them, they even look OK with the black ABS plastic ring that surrounds the projector beam because of the contrast with my white paint. I will now try to find another cheap set for the other car. Very highly recommended!!Odometer rolled over 5000 km last evening on the approach to Seattle so I got a photo of that. I will write up a proper travelogue with photos once I get home.Edit: "now", not "not"

Edited by Mike T

Yeah you did!Well we got home about 9:20 PM last night; the temporary tag had presumably just expired (midnight EST on Saturday) and we took the last fill before parking the car at home. Even though it was pissing rain I took the mudflaps off, the last of the protectant off the car and then drowned it in clean water and gave it a full wash. It came through the trip in very good condition. There are about 4 tiny rock chips on unprotected areas but they will be easy to touch up.Using Eddy's cruise control was such a relief on the short drive home! Sure wish I had it at the beginning. Got three sets of locking wheel nuts from Eddy too as well as a subwoofer.Vancouver does not look like an Olympic city, it was hammering with rain and the place is just about deserted. Even the border crossing was unreal, we went through at 1 PM and there was no wait (unheard of) and I had seven free customs agents to choose from! It seems that everyone has stayed away from Vancouver and no-one is coming. They also put on extra BC Ferries sailings in anticipation of the Olympic overflow but the 7 PM boat from Horseshoe Bay was almost empty. Weird. I guess this will just add to the Olympic financial hangover! Montreal knows very well about that!The car goes to TPM Friday for its out-of-Province inspection and a couple of warranty matters (loose soft top rubber trim and a missing "B" on the air intake). then I get to pay BC sales tax at 7% and apply to Ontario to get my $1440 back (8%).

Congrats, Mike, on getting your new baby home safely! Sounds like everything went like clockwork ---- perhaps a few Swiss genes in the baby's system contributed.I'll look forward to seeing it sometime.