Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeT

Snowball thread

215 posts in this topic

I've been thinking of a variation on CANADA 1CA ONECDN ONECAN ONECA 1CDN 1CAN 1

Why a variation of Canada 1? What about "Canada 1"

post-2682-1266249680_thumb.jpg

Right you are! I am leaning towards CDN 1 if it's not already taken.

Vancouver does not look like an Olympic city, it was hammering with rain and the place is just about deserted. Even the border crossing was unreal, we went through at 1 PM and there was no wait (unheard of) and I had seven free customs agents to choose from! It seems that everyone has stayed away from Vancouver and no-one is coming. They also put on extra BC Ferries sailings in anticipation of the Olympic overflow but the 7 PM boat from Horseshoe Bay was almost empty. Weird. I guess this will just add to the Olympic financial hangover! Montreal knows very well about that!

Only if you go Downtown Vancouver and Richmond yesterday I think you'll have a very different comment. I have never seen so many people for all the time I lived in the city. Many streets are closed for pedestrian only. And it was filled with people. Not just a few blocks; but events are all over the place. And line ups and line ups. Restaurants must be laughing with the cash rolling in. Canada Line cannot operate fast enough with all the cars packed like Tokyo in Richmond and City Centre.It is a big, big party town. Everyone should come join in the excitement.

I hear you Eddy. Maybe I will hear the same from my daughter Jenn who will be at Robson Square for the next three days working for Wild Play - I dropped her off at the seaplane terminal this morning. Sandy and I ate dinner in Chinatown @ Kam Gok Yuen Saturday evening at 5 PM and it too was deserted! But I didn't go right downtown to the courthouse/art gallery area since I think the Lions Gate bridge is closed for non-Olympic traffic. Maybe it was busy there!

Robson square was busy. Especially with the Zip line. Up to six hours line up at one point. Was going to try it out. Waterfront was packed. West Georgia, Granville were all busy. All the different houses was interesting. Korean house have free performances, acupuncture, and latest Samsung touch screen display.

Mike you just hit on some of the misinformation that has been erroneously spread. The Lion's Gate (1st Narrows) and Ironworker's Memorial (2nd Narrows) bridges are both open as usual.The only difference now is that the HOV lanes are now designated as "Olympic" lanes.However. the traffic is indeed lighter than usual. I can make it easily from North Vanto Lake City (Burnaby) in fifteen minutes in the morning and home under twenty in the afternoon.I guess all the scare tactics used by VANOC about traffic volumes have resulted in what we're seeing...

Edited by lebikerboy

Sandy and I ate dinner in Chinatown @ Kam Gok Yuen Saturday evening at 5 PM and it too was deserted! But I didn't go right downtown to the courthouse/art gallery area since I think the Lions Gate bridge is closed for non-Olympic traffic. Maybe it was busy there!

You must have found the slowest Chinese restaurant in all of Vancouver for last Saturday night. Our family tried to booked for a whole week in Richmond and part of Vancouver. Called at least two dozen restaurants. They all were well booked weeks in advance. Not a single have seat available at prime time 7pm. You can have first seating at 4:30pm, or third seating after 8pm. Many only accommodate for large group; which was fine by us, and preset packages of several hundreds of dollars.

I have been to a coupe games of female hockey at UBC (FIN-RUS, SWE-SVK) and had no issue, but I can tell you from all I hear dowtown and Granville Island are PACKED. So, we will have a huge bill no doubt, but what can you do..... our NDP government in the late 90's supported the games as well, so you can't blame it on one government or party....

We were in Vancouver Friday evening and Saturday....on Saturday near noon I headed to Eddy's to get 6 new tires for our smarts (the wide rears in particular, hard to get right now). Thanks Eddy, for getting some so soon!Keith dropped by on his way to a sledge hockey game at UBC and brought my car's black BRABUS Monoblock VI wheels in 15 inch size. The fronts are made in France by Ronal and the rears are made in Germany by....Ronal. The centre emblems are solid aluminium too, very nice!After a thorough cleaning and waxing the Canada 1 wheels turned out to be in very good condition, as expected. I removed the stuck-on wheel weights before taking the tires + wheels to TPM for mounting and balancing because there is a tendency for the old weights to be pried off with a metal screwdriver, which damages the finish. Plastic knife, baby!I am looking forward to having the wide boys on the car shortly and also to putting the strikelines on the green car.Next question is: which suspension? I am inclined towards BRABUS shockers with Eibach springs after conversing with Eddy. The adjustable Bilsteins are nice too but Eddy says they really are adjustable only when first installed, as the threading often seizes after a couple of years on the road. The OE springs and shocks on the white car now would be hand-me-downs for the green car...probably will have to wait a while for that though, as the house roof is getting replaced next week! Maybe in the late spring or summer....More trivia: TPM decided on my Friday service appointment to not only replace the roof gaskets (beautifully done) but also the steel wheels that have the winter tires on them, because the paint was peeling right off them. So now Snowball has 4 new steelies.Oh yeah and I paid them to install the "fanfare" horn, which is highly recommended. LOUD and proud. I will buy the part at the October Garage Sale for the other smart and put it in myself.

The proper wheels are on finally! Here are some photos. It was twilight so it's hard to see them.....

post-5-1268884513_thumb.jpg

post-5-1268884568_thumb.jpg

post-5-1268884620_thumb.jpg

post-5-1268884661_thumb.jpg

Thanks, the wheels are like black holes, hard to photograph (especially at dusk!).

Oh yeah, notice that each wheel has three locknuts on it. This cost me $132 total, but it was worth it, to avoid the rusty nut look and remote possibility of theft.

Another angle under artificial light tonight....

Posted Image

Pictures in the dark... Gosh, you must be excited about your wheels! ;)

Very nice though, Mike :thumbup:

I got a few more shots of the car, in daylight this time, so you can sort of see the black wheels.

post-5-1268962118_thumb.jpg

post-5-1268962162_thumb.jpg

post-5-1268962202_thumb.jpg

post-5-1268962249_thumb.jpg

post-5-1268962296_thumb.jpg

post-5-1268962342_thumb.jpg

Sweet! ... Oh... so that's where the "CANADA 1" lettering is. Subtle - I like it!

So today on a day off, I removed the underseat drawer and installed the BRABUS subwoofer. VERY nice. Now I have two surplus drawers keyed to my cars! I will wax it this PM. For a second time!

Oh yeah, notice that each wheel has three locknuts on it. This cost me $132 total, but it was worth it, to avoid the rusty nut look and remote possibility of theft.

So does that mean you need a different key for each wheel (or three keys for each wheel), or did you somehow order a set of twelve lugs all keyed the same?

I could have keyed them all the same but instead I got two the same and the third set was different (but the same as the single locking bolt set on the green car). This way I have two keys for four sets of locking nuts on two cars. i.e. a spare key for each, in case one gets lost.

Hope the math makes sense to you.

To put it another way: I need two different sockets to get all wheels off the white car. Two only. Two bolts on each wheel are the same and the third is the odd one.