stickman007

Wrong bearings from RockAuto

10 posts in this topic

Found out the hard way that RockAuto sent me the wrong rear bearing. Was changing out a customer's rear bearing and noticed that the axle shaft wouldn't go into the splined hub...turns out the spline patter was slightly different! My guess is that they sent me a 451 rear bearing rather than a 450. When I went online to look for one, it seems many sellers are listing the rear bearing as 05-14. Be careful when ordering online. I had these parts sitting on the shelf for a few years now, so I doubt they would exchange or return, let alone paying for shipping.

The 451 rear bearing will physically bolt up to the frame, but the splines on the hub is slightly smaller and though I didn't do an actual count, seems to have a few more spline more. Lesson learned.

What would be interesting is if the axle shaft would fit on the transmission output side. Now its going to be tough to find a reasonable priced rear bearing for my customer :(

16 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

try germanparts.ca

i bought a rear bearing from them last year...didnt get around to changing it yet

Not bad pricing...Trying to source parts here in Edmonton is always a gong show.

12 hours ago, tolsen said:

Cadillacman ordered two 451 rear bearings for his 450 in November 2016. 

He was able to install it on his 450?

If the 451 Axles are the same lengths, and if the transmission output splines are the same, then in theory we can use the 451 bearings in the rear. But I haven't personally worked on 451s so I have no parts to compare.

I've read somewhere that 451 transmissions are essentially identical to 450?

trannies are different. 451 is 5 gear, 450 is 6 gear.  Axle shafts are different.

1 person likes this