nbman

Diesel Hard Start after sitting

4 posts in this topic

Hi All, great site, loads of information. I'm new to Smart cars and having a problem..i did do a search but haven't found the exact problem, so here goes.

2006 Car, Diesel

Bought the car last fall, in September. Brought it home and basically put it into storage (we plan on using it as a pit vehicle in the summer time). It was stored in an unheated outbuilding until two weeks ago when I wanted to bring it into the shop to do a few things to it (new aftermarket radio install, success!). It was cold the day I brought it in, but it started beautifully, no issues. I brought it into the heated garage. Over the past two weeks, I've started it several times off and on, no issues, until three days ago. I had started it, and it ran for a couple minutes, then started chugging and hiccuping (for lack of better term), and quit. Tried to restart, but it wouldn't start right away...just whirled and whirled. After a few tries, it did fire up, and ran normally. Shut it off and it fires right back up, no problem.

Let it sit overnight, it won't start the next day, same thing, whirls and whirls, takes a few tries and it will eventually start and run perfectly. No smoke or anything..does the same thing after sitting overnight for the last three days..

My thought is the fuel is draining back somehow, which is why it whirls as it has to pick up the fuel again, and once it has done so it starts fine afterwards..there are no fuel leaks that I can see (nothing on the shop floor).

Is there a check valve in the line, or filter that could be sticky? Any other ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome  One suggestion.  When you turn the key on listen for the electric fuel pump in the tank.  If you don't hear it the car is not going to start.  Mine would not run intermittently so I installed a relay for the pump and it has been fine since.  Good reading in this topic http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/25663-sam-woes-and-how-to-cure-them/&page=1

Nigel

On 2/18/2018 at 9:12 AM, Nigel said:

Welcome  One suggestion.  When you turn the key on listen for the electric fuel pump in the tank.  If you don't hear it the car is not going to start.  Mine would not run intermittently so I installed a relay for the pump and it has been fine since.  Good reading in this topic http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/25663-sam-woes-and-how-to-cure-them/&page=1

Nigel

Thanks, I can hear it, however the last two days it has started just fine after sitting overnight..

5 hours ago, SMARTWRENCH said:

Alternator

Was new about a month before i purchased it.

5 hours ago, SMARTWRENCH said:

Release the A belt, if its not spinning freely, If good check fuel issue easily by releasing fuel line to an injector  to verify fuel issue.

I like to spray quick start in the air horn which sometimes kicks it into start mode.

Ya I know the comments are coming, but it works for me everytime

Doesn't start spray damage the glow plugs? I have a diesel chev truck and was told never to use it..

Thanks for the replys.