Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Hi guys and Gals, possible new owner here...?

22 posts in this topic

OK.... HI to everyone and hope this is the right place to ask a simple-ish question...lol.
I have this serious itch making me seriously wanting a used smartcar.
I want good solid gas mileages.....from what I have heard they get serious MPGs.
So here's the semi simplish questions...lol.....
What do I look for.....  specifically when going after a roughly $5,000 used vehicle.

What are the usual issues to look for? 

What major issues would a vehicle of this age group have.

What year of vehicle is best expecting to not go above this price point?
Is it best to go after a gas or deisel engine?

And the bigger question is.....what type of MPGs am I expected to be getting? Honestly....     

I presently own a 2005 Toyota Echo hatch 5 speed and get.......50mpgs at best if driven within the speed limits and don't race up to them. IF I tow or drive quickly it gets 40 MPGs.....This vehicle has destroyed my enjoyment of almost every other vehicle we own because of these MPGs.  
OK, the reasoning I'm after one is obviously the MPGs and also I ride a bike so it's got to be close to a bike as you can get on 4 wheels. Very similar to driving a go-cart I'm thinking due to it's size etc.  Please don't mistake me for a 16 year old lunatic ...I'm 60!  lol.  I love small vehicles in general and hate the big american boats of yester year....lol
So please can you help an old guy out...?
What can you suggest to allow me to find the right vehicle for my needs. I am retired so all my driving is for recreational purposes  etc and I do drive/ride long distances......I ride across the country to Dawson City from Toronto...lol  

Thank you ...waiting impatiently as usual......lol....just a big kid at heart..lol

Welcome to the club!!

I think its best that you go out and test drive the gas and diesel. Advantages to both

I personally love the diesel. Its quirky and does require some tlc.

I know many that own motorcycles and the diesel smart.

I really shouldn't, but I will. I currently have a good used diesel for sale....http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/31269-2005-pulse-stream-greenblack-126390-kms/

I’m thinking about putting one of my three Smarts up for sale.

Note.... I don’t do this to counter Glenn’s vehicle above.

2005 Passion, 131194km, red panels on silver Tridion, fully loaded plus black ‘leather’ heated seats, sub woofer, Scan guage, new brakes (front pads and rotors), new windshield, mods for windows and turn signals, re-mapped ECU and paddle shifters, battery tender/charger, brand new summer tires on Passion rims.

Mercedes Benz - installed new engine & turbo around 90Km.

Vehicle is currently plated, insured and on the road.  Licence plate is.... 75MPG

I’ll decide on sale when I know what new windshield and brakes cost.

i might get flak for this but i really like toyota and i recommend sticking with the echo

the slight gain in mpg is offset by the easily available (and less frequent need) for parts

go to canadian tire or parts source or whatever local parts place youre used to patronizing and see what smart parts they stock...you probably wont find much

on the other hand if youre interested in quirkyness and lots of strange looks/questions from strangers then the smart is the way to go..especially if you build a hitch and tow with it

welcome to here

The diesel will give you a slight bump in MPG, but the diesel smarts are getting on in age, and parts are starting to become more scarce.

The second-generation gas smarts aren't as good a driving experience (from my time behind the wheel in many over the years), and the fuel economy will probably not be as good as what you're seeing in your Echo.

I would be more inclined to buy a used Honda Fit or Toyota Yaris. The smarts have a fun novelty factor, but the fun wears off pretty quickly as the repairs and maintenance add up. 

Well, looks like I'm the owner of a brite yellow Smart Car...lol.  Yes I like quirky and the off the wall strange...lol  I already have the Echo and know exactly what to expect from one. It's an excellent vehicle and doesn't compare with the Smart in any way except being close to the same size, everything else is either stronger, power wise or more space on the inside as it is a 4 seater. Even the hatch version. BUT I'm retiring a motorcycle carreer reluctantly and this is close to what I experience with it. Slow, and quirky...which is fine by me.  To each their own. It's not as if I am short on HP or economy....I have something at both ends of that scale. I own a 1952 Willys Pick-up with a punched out AMC 360 in it that drinks 15MPGs an will lite up the tires if you please. Love it but it kills me as i watch the gas gage drop....lol.  Now I have the oposite end of that scale, slowish and great MPGs even better than the Echo. I will be keeping the Echo until it dies a unfortunate death hopefully many years from now. It has 540,000 kms on it and still runs like new, doesn't look like new, been ditched 5 times, backed into by a huge camper pick-up at a month old.....and the front hood is starting to rust bad, funny enough the only place!
Sorry for the long story, just meant to say, I've joined the club officially now, well on sunday that is when i hopefully pick it up.  By the way Smart142 is a fantastic guy who will bend over backwards to help you out and teach you all you wish to learn about these cars.....can't thank him enough for the sale and his hours of time teaching me about the ins and outs of the SmartCar world etc etc.  IF you do not use him and you are looking for service etc, from what i know and have seen this guy seriously knows his stuff!!!
Excellent...thanks again!

1 person likes this

Slightly off-topic, but you did mention it in your last post ........... The AMC 360 .. was it a Javelin?  .. I drove a 4 speed Javelin as a pace car at a few races ..... VERY nice!

You also mentioned that you were "retiring a motorcycle career" ... Was this from racing?  If so, what form of racing?  Motocross? Dirt track? Road racing? Speedway? Enduros?   I'm just curious as a former racer myself.

Hi, I'm an old Jeep enthusiast, used to rebuild,restore and off-road Jeeps for 25 years. I have had 8 or so all completely redone to get the best from them and a few simply just to drive.....plus a few military version trucks. I had to buy 3 of my Willys/Overland trucks to find a workable frame, couldn't find one up here in the rust belt, so decided to use a GrandWagoneer as a running gear donor. That is where the 360 came from, yes same engine as the Javelin.  It's mated to a 727 rear wheel drive version tranny with reverse manual slap shift, just because...lol....can't accidentally hit neutral when pounding thought gears...lol.  As for my riding , I'm a long distance rider who loves to camp and see far off locals......I used to ride the cheapman's BMW, a Kawi KLR fully modded in every way possible.  Yes I'm a sick modder  and can't seem to leave anything alone. I haven't even got this car home yet and I have thoughts about solving issues I have seen on them already...lol. Just silly design issues that could be dealt with before they do wear etc etc....also saw the guts of the exhaust  so am wondering if anyone has taken out that cat to get a bit more from it...etc etc, see, didn't sleep much already lastnight...lol.  This car will replace my bike due to being in a bad rear end accident in 2001 where i was hit by a Bronco in a Civic while sitting at a red light, he left 20 feet of rubber maybe and hit me at 80kph! Destroyed the civic as it pushed me into the van infront of me, so every panel was bend except the two door skins.....long story short. I now have 3 herniated discs, one fused and plate and screws in my neck. I also have trapped nerves which are now affecting my right arm when riding, it goes numb so can't feel brake lever. Too dangerous to safely ride imho, so I will sell it  either this spring or next, sadly!  It has carried me all over Canada and into the USA. As I said this car will replace the bike and do the same but with better MPGs...and more storage space.
Is it sunday yet...?

Had a ‘68 Javelin SST with a 290 & auto.  Great car, but it ate water pumps.

Sorry.... to get back on topic,

Along with Glenn’s service expertise, this website is packed with helpful information from many sources compiled over the years.  Look around, explore, conduct some ‘searches’ on any topics you have interests.

As well, most any owner of a 450 (‘05s & ‘06s) would be happy to help you with anything they can.

This is also true for owners of 451s, 453s and electrics.

Happy surfing.

2 people like this

Here's a pic of the cup holder i made up, it works very well so far and hangs onto the hump very well as if it was factory almost...lol.

IMG_20180320_161146918 (1).jpg

Edited by Willys

A closer pic....Hmmm....not the best silicon job, but you can't see it when you look at it in the car...I hope...lol

WIN_20180323_17_07_10_Pro.jpg

Edited by Willys

50 minutes ago, Willys said:

as if it was factory almost...lol.

Better

I think I have figured out the armrest issue also, I'm going to at some point put in a hard shelf in the back at the same hieght as where the factory cover goes so my dog can ride back there on it and still se where he's going, from there I'm thinking I'll make a hinged armrest that can be lifted up but when down lock into the right position for the driver. When the rear shelf is tilted up the hinge will alow the arm rest to bend as needed also.  Just a thought, but it sounds like it may work..?

I may redo the wet finger slop, after doing the underneath.....silicon job....I was in a bit of a rush after taking the stock one out and trying to deal without any cup holders...lol.

Whats this FB spelling nazi's...lol....I have fat fingers and they're fast too,  not the best speller to be honest, nor do i care.....lol.

Had a good laugh today when we went grocery shopping in the Smart....lol....a whole shopping cart fit into the back of it, much to the surprise of the better half...lol....Now the view out the back wasn't that great but it all fit...a weeks worth of food, in a Smart...lol

It's not a spelling thing... silicon and silicone are totally different substances.

I used to do Costco runs in my smarts. And I used to travel to shows with my band, with two guitars, stands, my pedalboard, a 4-space rack and 2 × 12" speaker cabinets. 

Edited by darren

Now you are getting too specific...lol....I always get the spelling mixed up lol....

Wow, thats a load to fit into the car, damn!
I wouldn't even think of doing a Costco run in this.....I haven't put a trailer hitch on it yet....lol...but it's coming....lol.  We stopped our Costco membership much to my dismay, the wife says I kept buying too much stuff....but we used it sooner or later...was my arguement!   They sell a sugar free type jam there that i use to swallow my meds with....can't find it anywhere else.....comes in a huge jar for $8 and tastes great imho.....so when ever I get to go now i buy many many jars to the thrill of my wife......she goes....OK who did you force to take you to Costco!.....lol

Christ just the hand towels wouldn't fit or the toilet paper....lmao..lol

We’ve bought both toilet paper and paper towels in the same trip with the smart.  Not much room for other groceries though.

Nigel

15 hours ago, Willys said:

Wow, thats a load to fit into the car, damn!

I used to do runs into the US with the smart for the company I worked for.  It looked pretty funny at the border with this smart sitting in the truck lanes to be inspected.  Photo #1 shows the smart with a typical load going to the US with boxes of books.  Photo #2 shows what we picked up at a moving sale after the wife had finished with her shopping.  BTW, we quite often do a full weeks shopping in the smart.  No trailer hitch needed .. LOL

Smart loaded 01.jpg

Smart loaded 02.jpg

1 person likes this