Knajak1990

Steering feels quite stiff!

17 posts in this topic

Hi all, new to this forum as I just bought a smart car this week so hopefully you guys can help me out!

The smart car is running fine, however, the steering feels slightly stiff, I don’t know whether to put it down to the fact that temperatures have been extremely cold here as of recent, however, I have looked on other forums and it has advised me to grease the rubber flange in the footwell of the drivers side as this is all it may need, however it didn’t say any other steps...

so was was just wondering if anyone had any advice on this? 

Thanks guys. 

Welcome to the club!  I will leave the technical answers to our resident know-it-all, smart142 (can be PM'd at this linkor others of equal knowledge.

Welcome.  Have you compared the steering feel in your car to others, has it changed in the few days you have owned the car?  What is the year and mileage of your car?  Is your car equipped with power steering?  Is the inflation pressure correct in the front tires?

Lower universal joint (15x39) is prone to seizure as  exposed to the elements where it sits behind radiator. 

Easy to replace if you have the necessary skill and wit. 

Also easy to screw up and ruin steering wheel clock spring. 

My lower universal joint startet getting stiff  recently.  I opened out and greased lower UJ a couple of years ago. The seals were worn so water must have gotten inside. Will now bite the bullet and renew lower UJ. Bought one on EBay for £7. Febest AST-1539. 

PS. Unwise to grease rubber boot where steering column penetrates.

PS2:  A15x39 UJ fits a 450. Not sure what UJ a 451 has. 

I would try UJ Maintenance before replacing. Info on evilutions site.   

(has worked for me in the past)

1 person likes this

Lubing won’t last long.

2637_A7_F3-_B487-411_D-91_E5-7_AD13_D8_C

Oil or grease won’t make the rusty pins turn. 

My steering is very stiff when starting up a cold car, but it gradually becomes more "normal" after the car is driven for a bit.  Is that what others are finding, or does your steering stay stiff even after the car is fully warmed up?

I don’t find mine stiff at anytime.

Nigel

1 person likes this

2013 40k miles, stiff after 4 days of non use.

Get easy sometimes then harder.

Seems like the needle bearings are ready to die.

Heading to dealer in the AM.

To prolong life of your lower universal joint I suggest fully wetting its seals in grease or chain bar oil. The grease will keep seals wetted slowing down ingress of dirt and water into the bearing cups.

Once the UJ starts getting stiff, one or more of its seals are worn allowing water free access.

DSC04481.jpg

Photo shows my lower UJ being removed.  All needles were seized in the cup.  No sign of grease, only dirt and rust.  Of course there is not much grease there to start with.  A real pity we cannot source UJs in this size (39x15mm) with grease nipple fitted.

On 8/6/2018 at 4:33 AM, tolsen said:

To prolong life of your lower universal joint I suggest fully wetting its seals in grease or chain bar oil. The grease will keep seals wetted slowing down ingress of dirt and water into the bearing cups.

Once the UJ starts getting stiff, one or more of its seals are worn allowing water free access.

DSC04481.jpg

Photo shows my lower UJ being removed.  All needles were seized in the cup.  No sign of grease, only dirt and rust.  Of course there is not much grease there to start with.  A real pity we cannot source UJs in this size (39x15mm) with grease nipple fitted.

was this from a 451? I'm looking at photos of the steering columns at the wreckers and the joints seem steaked so no way to remove/replace it with the febest u-joint

You can restake the u joint cups or make special clamps to hold cups in place like shown in below YouTube video: