lebikerboy

Trying to buy new non-smart EV

25 posts in this topic

It has been my recent experience that one of the major reasons EV sales in Canada are so slow is,

that the dealers have nothing for sale. Case in point, contacted Ford to inquire about test driving

a Ford Focus EV and was told there was only two left in Canada (Quebec) and no further orders

are being taken. Nissan wants a $1000.00 deposit for a Leaf September delivery and currently have

no test drive vehicles. Hyundai also currently has no test drive Ionigs. Although I'm not really interested,

the Tesla Model 3, they're only producing less than 9000 per month with a waiting list of 500,000.

No way the later reservation holders will get their cars in a year and a half...more like 4 years.

The LEAF is no better - I have driven one quite a bit and it's quite rubbish.

15 hours ago, lebikerboy said:

It has been my recent experience that one of the major reasons EV sales in Canada are so slow is,

that the dealers have nothing for sale. Case in point, contacted Ford to inquire about test driving

a Ford Focus EV and was told there was only two left in Canada (Quebec) and no further orders

are being taken. Nissan wants a $1000.00 deposit for a Leaf September delivery and currently have

no test drive vehicles. Hyundai also currently has no test drive Ionigs. Although I'm not really interested,

the Tesla Model 3, they're only producing less than 9000 per month with a waiting list of 500,000.

No way the later reservation holders will get their cars in a year and a half...more like 4 years.

Wait for the Mirai to go on sale here :) Better range ;)

I know a guy who is building hydrogen stations, once the first one is complete they'll start selling the car. 

8 filling stations in the LML and Island by 2024 ;) Should take off rapidly after that.

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, lebikerboy said:

Too expensive for what they are. 

Available?

That's apparently something none of the others can claim.

My guess is that they're being hoarded in markets like California, where they are mandatory compliance cars.

Edited by darren

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

You mean like Hindenburg!  Huge fireball?

Naw, we bonfire and collision test the tanks. In an accident the only thing that survives is the tank.
I work with it daily, its' fairly inert stuff provided you don't supply it with an open flame :P

35 minutes ago, lebikerboy said:

In six years I'll be 76. Would kinda like a new family car before that...:rolleyes:

First car will be next year. Just you'll have only a few stations in Vancouver/Burnaby to fill up at. Mind you, the range is about 600 km so it's worth it. Price is not so much ~$1.00/L gas equivalent. 

32 minutes ago, darren said:

600 km from the only station. ;) 

For now.... Network will grow quickly. 

The future is coming :) We work with the major petroleum retailers to retrofit existing stations. They're wise on it, they know it's coming too. 

Edited by kelaog

Still leaves the problem of having to travel to fill up. Not the case

with our current and future BEV's...

Starting price on the Toyota Mirai is $ 74, 841 cdn, way more

than I'm willing to spend!

48 minutes ago, lebikerboy said:

Still leaves the problem of having to travel to fill up. Not the case

with our current and future BEV's...

Starting price on the Toyota Mirai is $ 74, 841 cdn, way more

than I'm willing to spend!

Don't forget the first hybrids weren't cheap either, or the first plug in hybrids. 

I didn't realize it was 75k canadian, damn. I keep hearing the US price around the office.

Take it for a ride up to Prince George, no wait......

For the price, you get a 33 kwh battery and 168 BHP electric motor.  The range is 183 km on the battery, and 290 km with one tank of gas in the "range extender".  If you get the range extender, it is a 647 cc gasoline motor. Volt/Prius/Ioniq PHEVs have much smaller batteries and much larger gas motors. If I had a spare $60,000, this is the car I would buy.

Top Gear says,

The i3 remains the best premium small EV out there. Hard to argue against. Just be prepared to pay proper money.

Drove the Bolt and was quite impressed.

Liked the L setting that lets you drive with one pedal.

Liked the range that I am told by an owner of 18 months is realistic.

Liked the fact that other than rotate the tyres every 8000km and change the cabin airfilter at 36000kms there is basically no maintenance.

Did not like the price, cheap interior plastics small trunk.

Waiting now for a look at the Kona from Hyundai with almost identical performance wrt range, power etc but no price declared or the LR Leaf or dare I say it even the SR Tesla 3 which should be emerging at the turn of the year.

It's an exciting time to buy what may be my last new car but whatever it is is I'm pretty sure it'll be electric and I don't anticipate any more range anxiety that I used to get driving my diesel Smart down to Tennessee and North Carolina. Lol.

Anyway I will still have Granny Smith for sunny days.

Don't waste your time Darren, it's a lost cause, lol or something.

1 person likes this

I split the political discussion that was ensuing off to a better suited place....

As for Prince George, it's depressing!!! ;)

I've only been to Prince George once.....rode through it on my south one year from Dawson City this time of year!  It's a fantastic area the middle of BC and just further north of you.  I only wish I could live there.....I'm stuck in Ontario nuff said..lol.

Umm no, it's like a huge Kenora.  Both daughters are at university there and they both hate it with a passion.  OK to visit, bad air due to the pulp mill.....

Ha  ha   ha, pulp mills....oh the joy...lol

I used to be a trailer mechanic for a large trucking company and they solely hauled rolls of paper, so semi regularly I'd get sent to the pulp mills to service or repair our trailers....YEP..!   It's an acquired taste isn't it...lol  The smell is strong and gets into everything.....I hated it also.

The area I love is the Casier Highway or #37 driving or riding north to Dawson City.....absolutely fantastic...imho.