kelaog

450 PCV valves

12 posts in this topic

Anyone know the part numbers for these or equivalent parts? Best just to cut the lines and run a standard check valve from napa?

I have oil seeping around the turbo inlet from the pcv. 

Is yours a petrol 450?

Reason I ask is the diesel 450 does not have any valve in crankcase breather pipes.

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

Is yours a petrol 450?

Reason I ask is the diesel 450 does not have any valve in crankcase breather pipes.

Oh, it's a diesel. It kinda looks like a valve... Shit do I have excessive blowby? Car runs fine, no issues starting or anything. Doesn't seem to consume any oil.

Posted (edited) · Report post

oilleak.JPG

looks kinda like that, but not nearly as much oil. Not a drip or anything I'd see on my driveway... just a bit in that area. 

Edited by kelaog

What you see is better than normal so no worries in my humble opinion. Mine has quite a bit more blow by so I have fitted a home made air oil separator. Oil on mine is separated out and ducted back to sump whilst air still containing some oil enters air inlet duct just before turbo. One solution is to duct breather gases down the side of the engine to the mother of all catch tanks just like in the olden days. 

When I bought a used 2005 in 2007, I noticed oil oozing out of the air intake. 

Conversation at the time on these threads was that the car should not be filled to the line on the dipstick.

When I examined mine, the car had been overfilled. Removing about a liter eliminated the problem.

Others on this thread have discounted my observations, but my car is parked on a hill which may have been a factor.

What is the oil level in your car?

Hmmm...oil levels in engines makes a difference depending on how their oil pans are designed imho.....does the oil get beaten as the crank turns splashing more than if it weren't. Over filling might just make all the differance..? I know my bike is like this, it doesn't like being slightly overfilled and does blow oil in places it shouldn't be. similar to what you are speaking of. So we slightly underfill it and the issue settles down. IF you have blowby why wouldn't you repair it if you can afford..? I plan on getting a second engine to rebuild and see what is what in these engines. They are a completely new deal for me, being my first diesel....augh...lol   I can't not leave things alone.......things can always be tinkered with to make them slightly better...it's only money and you can't take it with you...lol

On 3/10/2018 at 3:57 AM, smartdriver said:

When I bought a used 2005 in 2007, I noticed oil oozing out of the air intake. 

Conversation at the time on these threads was that the car should not be filled to the line on the dipstick.

When I examined mine, the car had been overfilled. Removing about a liter eliminated the problem.

Others on this thread have discounted my observations, but my car is parked on a hill which may have been a factor.

What is the oil level in your car?

Oil level honestly I haven't checked since Idid the oil change, but that's when I spotted the problem. I had just purchased the car, and the servicing was way overdue. I'll check it again when I do my next service. When I filled it it was slightly high but I hadn't primed the oil filter yet or turned the motor so in my experience it would drop half a litre or so, putting it right above half way.

If it's normal, I'll just ignore it. I'll just fill it a little below half way next oil change instead and carry on :P 

On 3/9/2018 at 3:38 PM, tolsen said:

What you see is better than normal so no worries in my humble opinion. Mine has quite a bit more blow by so I have fitted a home made air oil separator. Oil on mine is separated out and ducted back to sump whilst air still containing some oil enters air inlet duct just before turbo. One solution is to duct breather gases down the side of the engine to the mother of all catch tanks just like in the olden days. 

You mean the big garbage dump in the sky? :P 

14 hours ago, kelaog said:

If it's normal, I'll just ignore it. 

Won't this mean that you will end up with a lot of oil in your intercooler?

You will have that problem no matter what.  Oil fumes condense in there.

Just drain condensed oil in intercooler at each oil change.