BCsmart

potential new 06 smart car owner

317 posts in this topic

Live in the Okanagan and have a new job with 85km each way for a commute so could be getting a 2006 diesel smart fortwo. Done a lot of reading about them and the tire size differences. I know the tires are pricey if you go with stock, I would like to have same size tires  on front and rear so you can rotate them and also have a much better selection of tires.

Do you have to buy aftermarket rims 6'' in size to achieve that or can you get 2 stock rear rims that are 5.5''? and use those on all 4 corners with an appropriate tire size that would be the same all the way around.

But an overview of the car I know parts will probably cost auite a bit due to it being such a vehicle specific car and not many of them are at the wreckers.

Can someone give me an overview or a link to a good what to look for in a 06 smart fortwo? Also what are the basic but good things to know about them for maintenance etc.

Thanks for your help and redirection. I did want to post a hello here and kind of put a few things into this post as well, hopefully it gets enough interest so i can get some good feedback in a relatively short order.

thanks again!

Welcome.  If the price of tires is too steep for you, a smart might not be the best choice for you. 

Rear 5.5" 450 wheels mounted to the front of a 450 will stick out past the fenders.  There are wheels with the correct offset to mount wider, more common size tires.  Evilution.co.uk has a list of alloy wheels for the 450.

One maintenance item, with your 170 km commute, you will be changing oil every 4-6 weeks.  I would only look at cars with a complete service history and known electrical / mechanical problem areas already sorted out.

2 hours ago, Huronlad said:

Welcome.  If the price of tires is too steep for you, a smart might not be the best choice for you. 

Rear 5.5" 450 wheels mounted to the front of a 450 will stick out past the fenders.  There are wheels with the correct offset to mount wider, more common size tires.  Evilution.co.uk has a list of alloy wheels for the 450.

One maintenance item, with your 170 km commute, you will be changing oil every 4-6 weeks.  I would only look at cars with a complete service history and known electrical / mechanical problem areas already sorted out.

oil change is every 8,000km?

there is no real choice for stock tires with the stock setup so you pay a premium and the rears wear out faster from what I read? If I could get a 6'' rim set used I would. This is strictly a hwy commuter for work, so I will be adding up the km so tires will be getting worn quick. That is the main reason for wanting the same size tire all around, having flexibility to buy tires that wont cost an arm and leg or be limited to literally 1 tire.

I haven't found any used 6'' rims. Can stock rear rims be used on the front with some modification? How far out would they sit from the fender? Has anyone rocked stock rear rims on the front and had a 175 65 15 tire on all 4 corners? Or a tire size that would fit, I just threw that number out there.

I kind of know the history on this car, it recently had the belts done, brakes done a 1.5year ago. Starter was done recently also. No known major electrical issues and also unsure if turbo has been replaced? How long do stock original turbos last?

Anyone here from BC that knows a good used parts source? Or have some 6'' rims used?

Thanks for the help I have to make the decision by friday. What would be a good deal for an 06 smart fortwo diesel with 110,000km

55 minutes ago, smart142 said:

Welcome to the club!!

I personally love the diesel smart but it is a unique and rare vehicle that needs TLC.If you like doing some work yourself it could work out.

Here's a thread that answers a few questions....
http://clubsmartcar.com/index.php?/topic/30516-honest-opinions-please/

thanks i checked that out, bit of help. I can do some of the work on a vehicle but this is a whole new ball of wax for me to try and work on. Never had a diesel, I guess I will need to find a suction pump device so I can do the oil changes though.

Is there some easy basic preventative maintenance that should be done regularly? I read that spraying silicone under the boot of the clutch actuator was advised, not sure how often though

Posted (edited) · Report post

21 minutes ago, BCsmart said:

thanks i checked that out, bit of help. I can do some of the work on a vehicle but this is a whole new ball of wax for me to try and work on. Never had a diesel, I guess I will need to find a suction pump device so I can do the oil changes though.

Is there some easy basic preventative maintenance that should be done regularly? I read that spraying silicone under the boot of the clutch actuator was advised, not sure how often though

For the actuator, once an oil change should be good :D

The vacuum pump you can buy from Princess Auto. Spend the $90 on a good one, don't get the cheapy :S

Parts I buy from germanparts.ca 

rockauto.ca has a few things listed but not too much...

Fun little car when you get it working right, and the fuel mileage is outstanding...Not so good in the snow though, IMO anyways. I came from a  Ram 1500 with snowflake rated all terrains, so my opinion is bias. 

Don't let the diesel bit scare you off of doing your own maintenance. In many ways they are a more simple engine. If you've spent some time hanging around turbocharged gas engines you'll feel right at home. The worst part is the lack of room in the engine bay for this car...

Odd things about diesels:

They don't get warm super quickly...Seriously, the interior fan is enough to keep the car from hitting full operating temp :P 

There is no throttle body valve.

No spark plugs

And you gotta wait a few seconds before turning the key to ON while the glow plugs warm up.

Otherwise, pretty simple :P

Edited by kelaog
1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, kelaog said:

For the actuator, once an oil change should be good :D

The vacuum pump you can buy from Princess Auto. Spend the $90 on a good one, don't get the cheapy :S

Parts I buy from germanparts.ca 

rockauto.ca has a few things listed but not too much...

Fun little car when you get it working right, and the fuel mileage is outstanding...Not so good in the snow though, IMO anyways. I came from a  Ram 1500 with snowflake rated all terrains, so my opinion is bias. 

I wouldn't use it for winter driving, at least not right away as I have a 4x4.

Thanks for the info on parts

Welcome BCSmart...I'm 2 weeks ahead of you it seems.....bought the same vehicle that you are concidering I think, It's a fun runner and somewhat quirky compared to "normal" cars..lol.  Shifting will take a bit of getting used to, better than in auto I might add. I can shift smoother than the car can by respecting the RPMs. $20 to fill her up, can't beat that!  Especially when I aren't that concerned yet on saving fuel costs. Yet. I will be in the future. I also am new to the black smokers...lol.  I think they are made out to be far worse than they really are, imho. So far so good, I cheated as I got mine from a Smart Guru so to speak so I'm told....Smart142, this guy knows his Smart cars inside and out!  I also wouldn't worry too much about tire sizes just yet either. Unless you are in need of them soon...?  But unless it's power assisted steering, perhaps the larger tires will make it harder to trun this go-cart on a dime..lol.

Sorry to go on,  still thrilled with mine....good luck and again welcome.

4 minutes ago, Willys said:

Welcome BCSmart...I'm 2 weeks ahead of you it seems.....bought the same vehicle that you are concidering I think, It's a fun runner and somewhat quirky compared to "normal" cars..lol.  Shifting will take a bit of getting used to, better than in auto I might add. I can shift smoother than the car can by respecting the RPMs. $20 to fill her up, can't beat that!  Especially when I aren't that concerned yet on saving fuel costs. Yet. I will be in the future. I also am new to the black smokers...lol.  I think they are made out to be far worse than they really are, imho. So far so good, I cheated as I got mine from a Smart Guru so to speak so I'm told....Smart124, this guy knows his Smart cars inside and out!  I also wouldn't worry too much about tire sizes just yet either. Unless you are in need of them soon...?  But unless it's power assisted steering, perhaps the larger tires will make it harder to trun this go-cart on a dime..lol.

Sorry to go on,  still thrilled with mine....good luck and again welcome.

It doesn't need tires right away. I just like the idea of having a wider tire and having all 4 wheels the same so I can rotate them for even wear.

I think Rial makes a 6'' rim that has the correct offsets to achieve what I want, but not easy to find for sale. Not sure if there is a stock rim option to achieve this from a newer smart or having 4 rear rims on the car, and just dealing with the front tires sticking out more.

How many km are you getting to a $20 tank? Are you using it for hwy commuting or in town use?

You cannot easily rotate the tyres on a Smart 450 because rim off set is different front and rear. 

40 minutes ago, BCsmart said:

No known major electrical issues and also unsure if turbo has been replaced? How long do stock original turbos last?

Fuel pump and headlight relays need to be added if it has not been done already.  The turbo in my 2005 died at 190k km.

5 minutes ago, tolsen said:

You cannot easily rotate the tyres on a Smart 450 because rim off set is different front and rear. 

unless i find aftermarket rims that people do have, seem quite rare to find here in canada though

Four 451 5.5" rear wheels and 25mm spaces for the rear would be one option to rotate.

2 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

Fuel pump and headlight relays need to be added if it has not been done already.  The turbo in my 2005 died at 190k km.

thats good mileage on a stock turbo in my opinion. Ya good point about fuel pump, will have to see what that runs to buy new

1 minute ago, Huronlad said:

Four 451 5.5" rear wheels and 25mm spaces for the rear would be one option to rotate.

Okay thanks I will look into that

I do not know the asking price of the 2006, but if this 451 comes close, that would be the smart I would buy.  You get away from electrical problems, broken a/c, turbo, intercooler.  You can run bigger tires (185/60R15), half the regular maintenance but you will use about 1l/100km more fuel.

4 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

I do not know the asking price of the 2006, but if this 451 comes close, that would be the smart I would buy.  You get away from electrical problems, broken a/c, turbo, intercooler.  You can run bigger tires (185/60R15), half the regular maintenance but you will use about 1l/100km more fuel.

That looks like a good deal. The 2006 I am looking at I can get for under $2000

The 451 in the link was an ex Car2Go vehicle, they were selling for $2500 at the Toronto auction last year.  If you buy the 450 and in a year need a turbo, you could have had the 451, a much newer car.

6 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

The 451 in the link was an ex Car2Go vehicle, they were selling for $2500 at the Toronto auction last year.  If you buy the 450 and in a year need a turbo, you could have had the 451, a much newer car.

That is true, I am only considering this because the deal is good, I have a commuter I could use but it wont be as cheap on gas as a smart car. I wouldnt be looking at getting a smart as I have a civic. But if I can rack up the miles on a cheap smart, keep civic km lower then potentially move closer to work in a year or two then just sell the smart that is what I would do.

But yes with any used car major issues can occur at anytime. Car2go vehicles might get bagged on hard? No idea about how they are maintained but must be decently well. 

I know of someone who is putting in a bid to buy 500 of those cars to go Smarts, and I wouln't buy one unless dirt cheap, for the reasons you suggested..lol.  I would go after a privately owned machine and look carefully at the person who is selling it to you. People tell a load  about themselves  when you see the condition of the other things they own, toys, homes, etc etc..    So someone who treats his stuff well, usually means they also have done good by their vehicle they are selling you.  It's worked well for me in the past. 
As for the tank size for the $20 fill up. more than halfway into the last bubble @ $1.20/ltre.  If I remember right and I can't be sure at all...460kms..ish? Sorry wasn't paying that much attention as I have fitted it with a scan gage II  and hadn't got it figured out completely then, but do now, so the next few tanks I'll have the fuel economy semi figured out. But not going for the max yet...still having fun with it. I'll also wait for the warmer weather.  Mine has 124K and seems to be working well and hasn't given me anything to worry about....other than figuring out it's quirks, not being able to get it into "N", my fault, I didn't have the lever over far enough, and did it numerous times..lol. Wouldn't go into reverse, didn't have foot on brake...lol. Stupid things....and I still go after the column key location everytime I go to start it! Also it's opposite to my 52 Willys reverse manual shift kit I installed in it's 727 tranny, Smart you push forwards to go up in gears and it's the opposite for the Willys....catches me at least a dozen times a day!  My other car is a Toyota Echo 2005, it gets regularly 50mpgs since day one!  Has 4 times the power to weight ratio, more comfortable riding on a rough road, has 4 seats, will rip the front tires off itself, BUT, doesn't have the quirkyness I wanted from this Smart. OR the 70mpgs I am expecting when i get serious about fuel economy. I plan to drive all over Canada in this Go-cart, and I do mean all over....I live an hour north of toronto and expect it to get me to the Arctic Ocean up the Dempster Highway next summer and to everywhere in between!  I see no reason with regular maintenance and then sone why it won't do it.  Yes I have been warned sternly that I'm crazy, but ....that's how I roll so to speak, I like doing the unconventional with vehicles that don't resemble what you are doing with it. It's no different than driving a 1946 Willys Flat fender across canada to Kaslo to go up the mining trails...been there done that!

So, to buy one as a commuter imho is what they were made for, high mpgs and a fun ride....treat it well and it'll do the same for you, I'm sure.  IF you neglect any machine it'll let you down, same with this one I'm sure.
Again sorry to go on again...lol.

2 minutes ago, Willys said:

I know of someone who is putting in a bid to buy 500 of those cars to go Smarts, and I wouln't buy one unless dirt cheap, for the reasons you suggested..lol.  I would go after a privately owned machine and look carefully at the person who is selling it to you. People tell a load  about themselves  when you see the condition of the other things they own, toys, homes, etc etc..    So someone who treats his stuff well, usually means they also have done good by their vehicle they are selling you.  It's worked well for me in the past. 
As for the tank size for the $20 fill up. more than halfway into the last bubble @ $1.20/ltre.  If I remember right and I can't be sure at all...460kms..ish? Sorry wasn't paying that much attention as I have fitted it with a scan gage II  and hadn't got it figured out completely then, but do now, so the next few tanks I'll have the fuel economy semi figured out. But not going for the max yet...still having fun with it. I'll also wait for the warmer weather.  Mine has 124K and seems to be working well and hasn't given me anything to worry about....other than figuring out it's quirks, not being able to get it into "N", my fault, I didn't have the lever over far enough, and did it numerous times..lol. Wouldn't go into reverse, didn't have foot on brake...lol. Stupid things....and I still go after the column key location everytime I go to start it! Also it's opposite to my 52 Willys reverse manual shift kit I installed in it's 727 tranny, Smart you push forwards to go up in gears and it's the opposite for the Willys....catches me at least a dozen times a day!  My other car is a Toyota Echo 2005, it gets regularly 50mpgs since day one!  Has 4 times the power to weight ratio, more comfortable riding on a rough road, has 4 seats, will rip the front tires off itself, BUT, doesn't have the quirkyness I wanted from this Smart. OR the 70mpgs I am expecting when i get serious about fuel economy. I plan to drive all over Canada in this Go-cart, and I do mean all over....I live an hour north of toronto and expect it to get me to the Arctic Ocean up the Dempster Highway next summer and to everywhere in between!  I see no reason with regular maintenance and then sone why it won't do it.  Yes I have been warned sternly that I'm crazy, but ....that's how I roll so to speak, I like doing the unconventional with vehicles that don't resemble what you are doing with it. It's no different than driving a 1946 Willys Flat fender across canada to Kaslo to go up the mining trails...been there done that!

So, to buy one as a commuter imho is what they were made for, high mpgs and a fun ride....treat it well and it'll do the same for you, I'm sure.  IF you neglect any machine it'll let you down, same with this one I'm sure.
Again sorry to go on again...lol.

Appreciate the insight thanks a ton!

I only drove a smart once, couldnt figure out how to start it or that you cant park it and leave it in gear as the key wont come out?

To start a smart you need to push the brake pedal down far then turn key?

To turn off car has to be in N? Car cant be left in gear? That seemed odd to me but again very minimal experience with car

Have many of you done a remap to gain some hp? Looks like $500 from flying tiger in BC, any other BC Smarties out their done a remap or used a different place that charged less?

You won't need to map it much as if you are after better fuel then chacing HP is the opposite thing, chased HP for decades! Always lost economy...lol

Mine I think was mapped a bit, by the guru, but I'm not driving it to it's fullest, I find it better to shift earlier and have it smoother over the difference in speed...it keeps up with traffic easily, ok starting off from a light is wierd, it doesn't move as fast as other vehicles, it has a lag, but it will usually beat most across the lights if they are driving normally and not looking to race you...lol...  I won't suggest you want to over take much if anything quickly, but it will cruise at 120kph and still accellerate a bit. No I haven't been much past 120 yet and don't see the need.....why destroy an engine just for 10 kphs..?  I usually cruise around 110-115...it seems to like that speed and shows low lph ratings....on the gage so far!  It's a gas to see how low you can get them to go to and it's not difficult. It shows your avaerage and actual....so gives you two to work at...

It's brakes are as good as anything really, steering is crisp it's just the accelleration you will be lacking...nothiong else, oh yes it's a semi rough ride on a bad road.   But I compare that to a Mini Cooper, BMW....exactly the same ride, both will give you a pounding, my brother is sellijng his Cooper because of it....but mainly because he needs 3 seats!  TRhe seats in the Smart also are very comfortable imho, hold you well into the seat. I'm 6'1" and 220lbs with L4-L5 herniated and also 3 in my neck with plate and screws....and still feel great after getting out after 3 hour drive home!  Don't believe everyone who bad mopuths this Go-Cart...it's a hoot and nice to drive on a smooth highway!  I can see a rough road being an adventure, but normal roads perfectly fine!

19 minutes ago, Willys said:

You won't need to map it much as if you are after better fuel then chacing HP is the opposite thing, chased HP for decades! Always lost economy...lol

Mine I think was mapped a bit, by the guru, but I'm not driving it to it's fullest, I find it better to shift earlier and have it smoother over the difference in speed...it keeps up with traffic easily, ok starting off from a light is wierd, it doesn't move as fast as other vehicles, it has a lag, but it will usually beat most across the lights if they are driving normally and not looking to race you...lol...  I won't suggest you want to over take much if anything quickly, but it will cruise at 120kph and still accellerate a bit. No I haven't been much past 120 yet and don't see the need.....why destroy an engine just for 10 kphs..?  I usually cruise around 110-115...it seems to like that speed and shows low lph ratings....on the gage so far!  It's a gas to see how low you can get them to go to and it's not difficult. It shows your avaerage and actual....so gives you two to work at...

It's brakes are as good as anything really, steering is crisp it's just the accelleration you will be lacking...nothiong else, oh yes it's a semi rough ride on a bad road.   But I compare that to a Mini Cooper, BMW....exactly the same ride, both will give you a pounding, my brother is sellijng his Cooper because of it....but mainly because he needs 3 seats!  TRhe seats in the Smart also are very comfortable imho, hold you well into the seat. I'm 6'1" and 220lbs with L4-L5 herniated and also 3 in my neck with plate and screws....and still feel great after getting out after 3 hour drive home!  Don't believe everyone who bad mopuths this Go-Cart...it's a hoot and nice to drive on a smooth highway!  I can see a rough road being an adventure, but normal roads perfectly fine!

I would take the hp gain not worried about mileage, it has to still be pretty good even if you map it and drive it hard. I would cruise going 110-120 to and from work. I would also take in on the hwy with bigger hills, so that would be my main reason for wanting some extra power to help with the hill climb.

seems like a decent vehicle, I am getting kind of pumped for Friday already... Now it is a matter of finding out what simple mods or add ons you can do to an 06. Like getting parts from the wrecker from a higher model or newer version and installing it in the 06. Will try to source that on this site in the search bar...I hate searching for specific stuff like that never usually leads to what I want.

Nice to see not just tiny people use these cars, i'm 6'2 225-240 depending on the time of year, winter is bad for weight gaining....

Thanks for the info again!

16 minutes ago, Nigel said:

You can shut it off in reverse and take the key out.

Awesome thanks for that info, will definitely do that once I get it