BCsmart

potential new 06 smart car owner

317 posts in this topic

They do if you know how to add one (do a search).

Spare wheel, jack and wheel brace was available as optional equipment until

start of 2003. Also described in handbook for early Smart cars such as mine. Spare wheel stores behind driver’s seat. A wheel sack was supplied to house the flat wheel with jack and brace in Centre of wheel.

I’ve been a smart driver for more than 18 years and have never suffered a puncture requiring use of spare wheel. On longer trips I now carry a tyre repair kit (turd type), jack and telescopic wheel brace. 

I had a bent rim that held air but required the spare to get home due to the wobble/vibration.  We also had it on the 6000 km road trip we did in 2016, luckily not needing it.

Ya not too worried if it doesnt have a spare tire. Can always find one at a wrecker, also have bcaa so can get towed if a flat tire does occur. Which would mean I actually get some use out of the membership!

Wonder what kind of Smart car stuff I would be researching and learning about today...

1 person likes this

What about this...lol

I do not have the rear tailgate hidden compartment, so will be figuring that out also, can I simply add the inner mechanism or do I have to replace the entire tailgate..?  It's the perfect area to carry tools etc etc

Edited by Willys

Nice video! I wonder if an 06 smart car has that storage area on the tailgate? That would be awesome if it did! Guess only issue would be if you take a front rim and use it as a spare, could it be put on a back wheel if that were to get a flat?

I think that car is newer, I could be wrong as I am no expert on them. I do like the cargo cover for the rear area....I will have to try and find one of those!

I have Jack Russels and want to make a solid cover or tray that they could sit on back there so as not to have them on your lap all the time trying to see out the windows, if they would stay on that shelf great.....I only have one at the moment and he's too old and has very bad hips so can't come along any more for rides. He will be replaced as bad as that is to say this year I think.....if he starts crying everytime he walks then I'll have to do the right thing...sniff...sniff....at the moment he's on heavy pain meds to stop that day coming and he's ok with it so far, but....when it comes....sorry but he has to be allowed to go peacefully and not live in pain. Sorry to ramble..but that area would be great for just this usage for me. So i'd end up with a enclosed trunk so to speak, where no-one could see whats in there.....a good thing maybe?
I haven't looked seriously into wheel bolt spacings yet, but hope they are all the same, would be stupid that they aren't....seriously!

I think Smart142 said something about it possibly been done before.....I'll have to wait for his input, I'm happy with it's power so far. I drive mainly at the flow of traffic in the slow lane or second lane.....120 is max for me...I'm after gas mileages. I installed one of those smartgagesII  or whatever they're called and can see my avergae  and actual mileage as I drive stats, that is what gets my attention at the moment....anything below 4 tickles me...lol. Reliability is my main concern, it must be able to take me to far away places....

Edited by Willys

Ahh yes it probably is remapped if it was his car, just a guess though.

Ya 120 is fine with me, I am interested to see how it does climbing hwy hills at that speed 

Like i said I simply change down to keep the speed and keep it under 4000rpms and so far it is perfectly fine...

I'm OK if it can keep the speed limit while climbing or even keep up with traffic if under the speed limits...lol

I am finding many try to tease me into a race type thing because i can usually beat them without trying across the light which gets under their skins it seems, they catch up fast then sit besides me looking at me wondering...lol

Also while going around tighter curves it can hold the road better as they slow down where I can keep into it.....little things like this, I find comical as they sometimes sit up my arse while driving just above the limits. I like to drive 10 over....on the 80kph roads that is...even up to 100 maybe...depending upon if I feel the cops around.

Edited by Willys

Speed limits in BC are up to 120 km/h so I tend to drive 135+ on those roads.

2 hours ago, Willys said:

I think Smart142 said something about it possibly been done before.....I'll have to wait for his input, I'm happy with it's power so far.

Yes, the smart I sold you was remapped! :D

1 person likes this

I knew I wasn't complete senile yet...lol....greatly appreciate it also....goes well for such a small engined machine imho.
My problem is with that scan gage, I'm fixated on the lph numbers now...lol....just love it...lol

Hey MikeT have you driven over the Coq with your smart? If so how did it do going up the big hills, still capable of at least doing the speed limit?

Hey Glenn you're the man who can tell us for sure....will a front wheel fit on the rear as a spare with one of those tiny spare tires from another vehicle...?

Hey Willys what scan gauge are you referring to? it calculates your fuel mileage in real time?

1 person likes this

yes. it's  a real pain in the ass, as you see it fly up if you step on it then fall to nothing when drivin senible, best thing to keep you saving fuel..lol

do you have a picture of it installed? wonder how much said device costs? It must tie into something on the car too eh?

6 minutes ago, BCsmart said:

Hey MikeT have you driven over the Coq with your smart? If so how did it do going up the big hills, still capable of at least doing the speed limit?

Yup.  Will do the 120 km/h limit fully loaded on all but the steep Bear snowshed section, where 110 or thereabouts was all she had. On 97C it held 120+ up the hill all the way though with A/C on it was getting a tad hot (in the summer), like slightly over 110C.  Topped out at 169 on a downhill section.

8 minutes ago, BCsmart said:

do you have a picture of it installed? wonder how much said device costs? It must tie into something on the car too eh?

38509761991_275f87848e_b.jpg

14 minutes ago, BCsmart said:

hmmm, another quote malfunction.....anyway the Scangauge is around $250 IIRC and is well worth it.  This image was taken when the car was idling, with the alternator clearly dead......

Edited by MikeT
1 person likes this

Damn that's pretty good isn't it for the tiny car...lol

The gage is a scangageII and it wasn't cheap!  Amazon $160 if i remember right. Ouch!  But I like it. It tells you anything you want to know, 4 pages of info or screens of info to flip throug, too much really. It plugs into your scan port under the left side dash. I simply stuck it infront of the glowplug light etc on the righthand side of the dash. I can still easily see those lights, I simply need to look around it. It's velco attached, supplied. So nothing permanent. Pushed the wiring under the panels up and over the steering collum just to clean it up a bit.

You can also set it up to tell you fuel capacities as in how much is left in your tank and how far. But I haven't filled it more than twice in the time I have owned it, so the next one I will set it up do do this as I'm very curious how far that last bubble will take me.......augh!

Edited by Willys