BCsmart

potential new 06 smart car owner

317 posts in this topic

Very nice, too bad about the tach as you do use it alot I find, but the scangageII will solve that issue if you get one. I change around 2500-3000 and down shift at 2000   It'll change on it's own around 4500 or slightly less and also downshift around 1500...I had the same issues with the frig'in radio also, it kept searching for stations and until I programed the ones I wanted it kept doing it. That interior light will go out, at least mine did, but didn't for a while on my drive home also...?   My rear interior light doesn't work and as it's minus frig'in 6 I don't care if it works...lol.   Does it have the oil pan heater? if not buy one!  It likes it. I also have one of those CTC incar heaters we used to have back in the day installed under the dash, It's wired up to the oil pan heater so after 30-60 minutes it's toasty when you get in. It doesn't generate any real heat for atleast 10 miles at these temps.....Glenn told me to let it idle for a while after starting it to allow it to warm up before starting off etc.  I went to princess auto today and found plastic ammo cans for $9 each, if you turn them upside down cut the top off and form over the centre hump after removing that stupid cup holder out you may find it can be fitted nicely over the hump and then cut in two holes and insert two larger cups  to hold actual coffee cups, giving you 2 cup holder spots and not one as one is frig'in useless...lol. Paint it black and bingo a cup holder for around $15...I'll post up a pic of it when i get it done.

Are you making this modified cup holder from the plastic ammo can?

Yes the cupholder is huge currently won't hold a drive thru cup without spilling I dont think.

Everything I have read states it must be 229.5 mecedes stats...hopefully I have that number correct, I'm not going to garage to check lol

Yes I'm cuting the ammo can up as it's plastic easy to work with, it will be painted black and it has that nice stiple finish to it so will look OK I think when it's done. I'll take off the lid, mark out where the middle hump wants to live and cut it out of the top side as the bottom has a nice small rail or border to keep spilled fluids somewhat contained, maybe 1/16th inch high? Then cut two holes in the bottom the correct size so I can slip in a larger plastic cut I also got from Princess Auto to act as the thing that stops the coffee cup from going inside the ammo can. I'll silicon or hot glue it in place and get the hieght of that cup so it is halfway up the timmies cup medium sized.  then paint it and then install 4 screws into the hump as it feels thin walled something or other? Done deal.

Apparently I have read and been advised to NOT screw into the center hump, lots of wires underneath. Send a link to the ammo box if you dont mind

Yes that is the car's main wiring trunk - a world of hurt awaits if you mess around there!

451 dual cupholders fit the 450.

Edited by MikeT

Oh and press the TP button on the stereo until TP is not visible in the screen and the radio station switching will stop.  It feels like early 2005 all over again LOL!

Thanks MikeT!!!

Who uses the "coming home function" and locks the car by holding lock for 2 seconds? What is the point of it?

19 minutes ago, MikeT said:

Yes that is the car's main wiring trunk - a world of hurt awaits if you mess around there!

451 dual cupholders fit the 450.

Thanks for that!!!!    I would have simply sent 4 screws into it..lol.  I wondered why I could flex it a bit, didn't feel structural...lol.  Time to get creative, industrial velco will work just as good...lol.

The princess auto sku # for the 30cal plastic can is.....874765

Damn the picture didn't show up....but it was on this site.

Found it on google images.

This is basically what i was thinking but black to match interior a bit better...? But if i can get a 451 2 cupper, look out ebay!

Edited by Willys

Ha..!!!   Not a chance I'm spending $100 plus for another cup holder!   I'll be making mine...lol

But there are millions to choose from if you want to spend that $100...lol

Ya 451 cupholder will be a must have. I actually just put a container holding dash wipes snug in between the two seats and it acts as a great arm rest.

Hope to snag a cupholder out of a 451 from the wrecker, not sure what they go for on ebay but more than a wrecker I am sure.

Figured out a lot of things sitting in the car and reading through the book. One think I am not sure about is the block heater...I see the plug on the front that you unscrew but what kind of plug is that? Is there suppose to be an adapter or cable that comes with the car that you then plug into a normal extension cable?

Going to order a bluetooth obd2 adapter and use torque or dash command for a tach. I like the idea of the scan gauge, just seems outdated in today's world. But I do like the solid connection vs bluetooth (haven't had luck with bluetooth) So still undecided on that option

3 hours ago, BCsmart said:

There is the new whip. So it is a Passion, 

Congrats!!!!   Looks like you have an 2006 passion. And here's when it gets unique - the colour is ruby red - only available in 2006 - few in numbers! You also have heated seats which was about a $1000 option. Looks like you also have an opening sunroof. If so that was a $1300 option! All in all a very desirable smart - in fact it looks almost identical to a smart that I just acquired :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, BCsmart said:

Figured out a lot of things sitting in the car and reading through the book. One think I am not sure about is the block heater...I see the plug on the front that you unscrew but what kind of plug is that? Is there suppose to be an adapter or cable that comes with the car that you then plug into a normal extension cable?

Yup there is a cable that screws in and plugs into a normal 110v extension cord. I had trouble finding a used one. I think they are $120 from smart. Some people remove it and put a regular block heater cord on.  Also on the passenger floor side you should find a normal 110 outlet that is connected to the plug on the front.  I put a small ceramic heater inside the car when it is cold. That way the block heater is warming the engine and the heater is warming the car. 

The light staying on is NOT normal.  Something is open or ajar. Is the light over the rear window on as well?  Perhaps the rear hatch is not latched down.

My Passion came with a clock and tach . I'm surprised yours didn't.

The radio has a seek feature ... when you encounter a weak station, it will search for another one with a stronger signal.  If you want to remain on the originally selected station, read the operator's manual for instructions on how to turn that feature off.

BC The plug for the block heater is usually stored under the air compressor under the carpet on the passenger side.  I love that colour and the nine spoke wheels.

Nigel

Thanks everyone glad to official join the team!

I will look tomorrow Nigel for the cable thanks for the tip! The car has heated seats, forgot to try them out. It has a glass roof but it isn't a sunroof, or I was oblivious to seeing a way to open it. I didn't realize this colour was only for 1 year so that is kind of cool to find out.

Leadwing- Ya it is too bad it doesn't have a tach or clock, will have to go aftermarket for a tach like the scan gauge or a obd2 plug and app.

LifeinSerenity- I will look for that plug in tomorrow, I assume it will be under the carpet?

Smart142- Thanks for the info, I don't think it has a sunroof just a glass roof with a partial sliding screen to protect from the sun. 

Have to do a service on the clutch actuator tomorrow, go get some spray but first wipe the area around it all off then pull off the rubber boot to spray the liquid silicone in. How often do you all adjust the entire assembly by loosening off the 3 bolts that hold it in place?

heated seats were a $500 option IIRC, maybe a bit less.....500 in the Mercedes we bought new.

I'm sure I paid more than $1000 for the heated leather seats.

If you have an interior sliding shade than you have the solid glass roof. Looking at the picture there is a shadow where the sliding glass roof would be. Me bad!

I have a clock and tach from a passion that I could sell - send me a pm if interested.

Excellent news, I told you Glenn was a stand up guy...!      They sure make a difference those two items let me tell you. I didn't think I'd be using them much when I first looked at the car but was wrong!

Now it's just that cord and the frig'in cup holder project...lol

IMHO, I would look into installing a typical 3 pronged household type plug as they will be more robust. Not that mine are broken but they don't feel as robust as the typical household versions and it enables you to use a normal extension cord  and not have to worry about keeping this cord in your car....petty but something to think about.