BCsmart

potential new 06 smart car owner

317 posts in this topic

Willys- Just waiting for daylight to check under the passenger floor to see if I have the cord...fingers crossed I do! I will have to try and find a thread somewhere showing how to add the tach and clock to a car that doesnt have it, I think the tach would be very helpful. I guess there is the arrow that appears on the dash to show optimal shifting.

Cupholder is easy fix, just going to get a 451 cupholder, hoping from a wrecker but will have to be down in Vancouver, haven't found any at the one locally.

I will be looking at the two cars I know of in a few months time to see if they have that cup holder and snag that also, but for now, I'll fab one up quickly, just an hour or so of quick dicking around, you never know it might be better...lol.  I haven't done much at all to mine other than a general look-see at Glenn's shop and at home before it got covered in shiat from road salt etc etc and am not working on it unless I need to in these temps. It will get a quick bath today before visiting the tint guy to see him work before puting down my money.

Next summer if I'm alive and so is the car I'll be venturing out to Dawson City and above, so maybe I'll slide down the coast and have a look around.

Willys, the heater cord seen here can be left on place for the winter months and the "typical" male end of it can be zip-tied to the front so it doesn't dangle.  Easily removed for the summer.  I generally store mine in the netted pouch in the passenger side (rear) pocket when summer rolls around.

Smart block heater cord.jpg

Leadwing or any other member could you take a photo of where that plug is suppose to be in the car?

I took the passenger floor carpet up and removed the foam  piece that contains the compressor and tow hook attachment. On the back side of this foam piece I found no cord or any spot indicating that one would be there.

I did find the 110v power plug that I could connect a small heater too though.

Thanks for the help people!

If anyone has a spare one and wants to be kind let me know! I will keep an eye out and try to find one, the winter season is over so I got some time before it will be needed

BC ...... The attachment on the right end of the photo in my last post, plugs into the inlet shown in the photo below.  It also supplies power to the female plug under the carpeting on the passenger side.  The female plug is under the carpeting on the passenger side near the battery and is there to supply 110V power to an in-car heater or battery warmer.  It also supplies power to a block or oil pan heater for the engine.

The plug on the left end of the cord in post #128 is, obviously, for a standard extension cord to be plugged into. :)

The cord might be found in local auto recyclers.  The original cord is about 1 metre long.

Smart Plug.jpg

Yup I know where the outside plug is, was hoping I would find the extension piece in the car but it isn't in the spot it should be. Yup a wrecker will be the way I go, if anyone snags one I would be happy to pay the shipping.

Got lots of time before it will be needed but it is always nice to get things for a car so you have them....especially when your more excited when you first get it. Also Want to go and pull a tach. I know people might sell them new or used but I am a thrifty person and can't justify much for a stock tach gauge. I have never been one to sell off parts for big profit, but I know lots of people like to make spare $ which I totally understand

So bit of an update, went on a 115km highway drive this morning. Did well, there was no wind so that so didn't feel any of that. Most of the driving was done at 110-120km/h. When I got the car it read a full tank, I dont know when it was filled tho, I did about 20km of driving before I pressed the trip reset but. Currently the car reads half a tank, went from reading full to half on the drive today. So with unsure km before I will wait for the next tank to determine mileage.

Thoughts about driving car, when at highway speeds, it is definitely quite noisey in the cab, but to be expected for a go cart sized car. Got a call and had my phone on vent and hit speaker, was very hard to hear the person. Did not have that issue when in civic. So again not a big deal but I will have to find headphones I can plug in to phone with a mic so I can talk and hear easier. Don't have a bluetooth and not a big fan of them either. Plus I should have the wired piece needed so why spend $.

Going up some hills, definitely feel the lack of power, again not surprised but overall did well. I can tell you this a ReMap is a MUST and will be done ASAP! Car seemed to handle good, feel the bumps but nothing crazy. Fun little go cart style car to drive and it is enjoyable to shift gears, if it was strictly auto I don't know how I would feel about that...good thing I don't have to worry about that!.

Now time to jack up the car, hoping I can jack the whole rear end in one go, but have not looked to see if there is a jacking point that will allow that. Again, will find that out within the hour. Then time to clean around clutch actuator and lube that up nice and good.

All in all, couple days in, no complaints. Start the long daily work commute in 2 weeks so that is where it shall be interesting to see the fuel savings! Arm rest would be nice and 451 cupholders and a stock tach are on my soon to do list.

Well quick update, not that most of you care as you had your cars a while. Did a service to clutch actuator, definitely needed it. drove it up and down the street shifting gears. Gas gauge dropped another bar...Still I won't try to get concerned but it has dropped 3 bars of fuel in 118km of being driven today. Sure hope the first part of that tank is extra large... But again will wait till I do a fill up and see what km I get to a tank before I start to get concerned. Just a bit nerve racking seeing the tank go down so fast, even if its a 20L fill seems like I have gone thru half a tank in 118km.

Deep breath, let things play out before jumping to conclusions

OK, if you let the gas shut off and walk away it will get 40kms or so  then the first bar drops....if you keep stuffing fuel into it until you see foam or fuel you'll get 128kms before that first bubble drops. I filled up today for $15.60 @$1.20  I'm also very concerned about how far I can drive on the bottom bubble. Until I figure it out I fill up as soon as the second last bubble drops.  No messing if not sooner. I thought I could remember the kms but nope sorry damn!..lol. But I am now averaging 3.8kph easily if I stick to the speed limits and shift at or before 3000rpms and down shift at 2000rpms......I did notice it drinks far more if you crest 110kph.

When the last bubble goes out you should see 5L in the odometer display and it will count down.  I did chicken out at about 2L and bought fuel.  I usually fill when it says 5L, I’d rather buy expensive fuel than risk walking to a station.

Nigel

You and me both...lol.  So far i'm just under 400kms on a tank if I recall corectly...... I'm now doing the fill up set up for the scangageII  Made the mistake of letting the girl fill it the first time and she just let it click off so I only got 48kms before top bubble disappeared....augh!

If you are unsure about distances the car can travel, I would suggest carrying a 3 gallon ( 13.5 L ) container with diesel fuel.   DON'T  let it run out!  I would add more fuel when you get down to no less than 2L indicated on the dash.  No point in taking chances with a fuel pump that relies on the cooling properties of the fuel to keep it cool.

So the dash will flash at some point then...? Sure hope so.....it's stressfull enough seeing that last bubble hit.....I'm not going for using the last drop normally just want to know how far my smart will go for future knowledge......when travelking across canada and up to the Arctic Ocean.....but like you say, I will carry a small can of fuel. for sure.  It may be light but i'm not pushing her anywhere if i can help it...lol.

Most fuel pumps have electronic thermal protection.  Carrying fuel inside a car for long periods of time is a horrible suggestion.

Countdown starts at 5 litres...more than 20 % of a tank.

A CDI should be golden for 100 plus kilometres...:P

Edited by lebikerboy

Ya time will tell, I will be doing 90% hwy driving if not more, so I assume with the higher speed the mileage might be a bit lower due to the speed. But we shall see, maybe a remap might help with more power meaning less gas pedal needed to keep going.

I should just fill it up tomorrow, and see what I get for mostly city commuting, good thing is its a cheap fill up. Was just hoping to get at least 3 days worth of driving to and from work before I needed to fuel up

Haven driven a cdi for over 13 years and probably around 400,000 kms  I can attest to the fact that the fuel gauge is quite accurate and I've seen it flash 0.00 and still get over 20 kms , but rather nerve racking. Way back someone said that when it flashes 0.00 there would actually be 2 litres left - probably engineered that way for the fools that push the limits :rolleyes:

It was around 5 years ago and we were driving from Whistler BC to Jasper on a Sunday and got caught twice with that indicator flashing 0.00, Both times with cautious driving was able to get that 20 kms more.

On 2018-03-16 at 10:35 PM, smart142 said:

Congrats!!!!   Looks like you have an 2006 passion. And here's when it gets unique - the colour is ruby red - only available in 2006 - few in numbers! You also have heated seats which was about a $1000 option. Looks like you also have an opening sunroof. If so that was a $1300 option! All in all a very desirable smart - in fact it looks almost identical to a smart that I just acquired :rolleyes:

Ruby Red is a beautiful colour, and it looks fantastic with either the silver or black Tridion. My old Pulse had heated seats and the opening sunroof, and it was the best combination ever. I would often open up the sunroof and crank the heat on a sunny winter day. I miss that li'l guy sometimes, especially when I hear an old CDI idling "blub-blub-blub" or pulling away from a stop.

13 hours ago, Willys said:

So the dash will flash at some point then...?

Yes.  Some time after the last blob is showing, it will switch over to the number of litres left and it will be flashing.

Thanks guys.....I'm not looking to push things, but i can be know to be foolish fro time to time..lol
So far I'm tranfixed with seeing how low i can go in Litres per hour.....just love that silly guage for that function alone...making it well worth the money it costs...lol

I just need to drive her more to get more fill ups into the guage to get the next function alive and working.     

I'm starting to think about starting a Central Ontario Smart Car Club and will start a new thread just for that next.

17 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

ive never seen a countdown of liters left

IIRC there is a cause and fix for that.

If fuel remaining becomes an issue, the best thing to do is reduce your speed by as much as safely possible to extend your range.  The 450 and 451 have reserves beyond the 0L count down.  I have fill ups over 25L in the cdi, making sure the car is full will also help with range.

Edited by Huronlad