BCsmart

potential new 06 smart car owner

317 posts in this topic

Well messed around with the car, got the belt to stop squeaking. Tomorrow is fill up day & hoping reMap also!! Interested to see the before and after driving experience...I assume it will be fairly substantial, that is the hope anyway

Many years ago for curiosity sake, I went from the Flying Tiger supplied map back to stock, a very substantial decrease in performance.

Instead of hitting a wall at 3000 RPM, it should pull hard to 4500.  HUGE difference (even though empirically, the car will still be slow).

There is no need for remap in my humble opinion since the diesel Smart is sufficiently fast as is.  Here is mine accelerating. Note the super fast gear changes thanks to having installed free wheeling pulley on alternator and of course having properly serviced and set up clutch system.

3 hours ago, tolsen said:

There is no need for remap in my humble opinion since the diesel Smart is sufficiently smart as is. here is mine accelerating. Note the super fast gear changes thanks to having installed free wheeling pulley on alternator and ofcourse haveing properly serviced and set up clutch system.

I thought you lived in Scotland..?   Free wheeling altenator pully..?...lol   Hmmm....?

More power is never a bad thing to have in my opinion when the car is lacking some stock. I am using it for highway driving so I want to not be the slowest guy out there plus having the power do go up some steep hills is a good thing too.

Each to their own though I guess

Stock acceleration is fine in the city or on two-lane country roads, but merging onto a highway with a short ramp can be a white-knuckle experience. I never remapped my cdi, but I thought about doing it many, many times. It was just too expensive at the time.

5 hours ago, Willys said:

I thought you lived in Scotland..?   Free wheeling altenator pully..?...lol   Hmmm....?

Yes, Banchory near Aberdeen.

The 450 Cdi was not sold by dealers in the UK so only way to get one was to import from Europe hence reason for having steering wheel on the right side.  Safer as well if hit front to front.

LOL...I was going to ask about the steering wheel but thought I'd let you tell the story incase something was funny with pic, lol.  I'll be in Scotland around April 3rd or 4th for a few days just putting around or maybe screaming around seeing the sights......Fly into Heathrow, spend 2-3 days there dicking around staring at crown jewels etc etc then fly to Edinburg get car, drive to top, then slide down west coast and back to Staffordshire  then back to London to fly home.....14 days to see the lot....lol.   Better stay off the roads while we're there, it'll be safer that way.....screaming around on the wrong side opf the road at warp speeds, what could go wrong....?....lol.

1 person likes this

yup just having that added power is nice to have. doesnt mean its a race car but you can more safely get up to speeds you want. Also filled up the gas tank last night, just went down to 1 circle of gas and i squeezed $20 in, so will be interested to see what I can to this full tank...

Hmmmm....get up to speeds you want....lol....I almost got clipped yesterday thinking it would have moved faster than it did or wanted to....I saw a space that I normally would easily have cleared across the roadway in any other vehicle we own without ripping the tirs off it, only to feel it sit and think about moving forwards because of the fly by wire accellerator peddle I'm assuming...!  No I didn't cause any issues just made me sweat a bit is all!   All done before I got the tint installed so I have zero excuses...lol. So from now on I'll add 5 more car lengths to my usual safe spacing to be able to safely cross a busy road....lol. 
I did check the drawers to make sure, but no....made it without any type of accident!

Not sure what a normal smart would feel like oif a chipped one acts this slow....I'd be handing it back maybe or installing a mechanical accellerator peddle to make sure the engine knew I wanted to move forwards...lol.     Hmmmmm.....I wonder....would the computer allow this to be done, somehow I highly doubt it..???

I think all drivers see a tiny smart car and just flat our dont give a shit. Driving home after the tune going through the highway in town speed limit 60kmh a dump truck and pup turned in front of me at a green light as I was approaching doing 70kmh and he damn well knew he had no where near enough time to turn but still did....I literally had to come to a dead stop at the intersection for him to finish his turn, other cars had to do the same....ignorant truck driver to add to the long list of clowns who think they rule the road due to size of vehicle they drive.

Willys- here is the website with 2 dealers that seem somewhate close to your location...??? https://malonetuning.com/dealers Hopefully that stayed zoomed in to see gourley automotive Bethany ON and eco-wagens New Market ON

1 hour ago, BCsmart said:

yup just having that added power is nice to have. doesnt mean its a race car but you can more safely get up to speeds you want. Also filled up the gas tank last night, just went down to 1 circle of gas and i squeezed $20 in, so will be interested to see what I can to this full tank...

dont put gas in it ;)

On 3/16/2018 at 6:55 PM, BCsmart said:

Are you making this modified cup holder from the plastic ammo can?

Yes the cupholder is huge currently won't hold a drive thru cup without spilling I dont think.

mine works fine with a roll of packing tape placed inside ...holds my coffee steady enough ive never spilled ...

s0068307_sc7?$splssku$

1 hour ago, BCsmart said:

I think all drivers see a tiny smart car and just flat our dont give a shit. Driving home after the tune going through the highway in town speed limit 60kmh a dump truck and pup turned in front of me at a green light as I was approaching doing 70kmh and he damn well knew he had no where near enough time to turn but still did....I literally had to come to a dead stop at the intersection for him to finish his turn, other cars had to do the same....ignorant truck driver to add to the long list of clowns who think they rule the road due to size of vehicle they drive.

Willys- here is the website with 2 dealers that seem somewhate close to your location...??? https://malonetuning.com/dealers Hopefully that stayed zoomed in to see gourley automotive Bethany ON and eco-wagens New Market ON

Smart142 did mine already, it does go well, just caught me off guard yesterday.....lol....it rev's up to 4500rpms easily  so I'm happy as i rarely take it up there, I'm now in the gas saving mode...lol.

1 hour ago, LooseLugNuts said:

mine works fine with a roll of packing tape placed inside ...holds my coffee steady enough ive never spilled ...

s0068307_sc7?$splssku$

I made one with two medium sized cup holders in it. It's installed and works great.  The plastic amo can and two oversized plastic cups cut down to the right size to hold a medium coffee cup from timmies etc for referance, cut the two holes in the top after trimming off all the extra plastic ridges with sharp hunting knife, then trimmed off top lid and hinge etc etc using dremel cut off wheel, a simple sanding to get it nice and level then painted with charcol flat paint to match stock plastics, I added silicon to area where plastic cup sits into top or bottom of plastic ammo can to hold it in place , I also cut out the top to follow the hump on the floor so it grabs it without any help and stays there. Done deal. I'll post up pics as soon as I figure out why or what I have done that is stopping me from getting them from phone to pc....augh!

Willys 

Try this and see if it helps.  I copied it from another forum and I’ve used it successfully.

Nigel

Posting pictures directly on this forum is difficult. Use the tool HERE .

• click on the link above and it will take you to the tool. You might want to place the tool link in your bookmarks or your browser bookmark bar for ease of access. Mine is in my bookmark bar so it is always on my screen.
  • The tool allows you to move a picture into their facility, and it will then create a proper link to paste into your post. This embeds the actual image into the post. It automatically sizes the picture appropriately. Follow the directions of the tool.
  • Once the tool creates the image link, simply copy it and paste it into your post where you want the picture to appear.
  • To test this, you can go to the "Test" section fo the forum and create a test post....just scroll down to the bottom of all of the sections and you will see the "Test" section.

19 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Willys 

Try this and see if it helps.  I copied it from another forum and I’ve used it successfully.

Nigel

Posting pictures directly on this forum is difficult. Use the tool HERE .

• click on the link above and it will take you to the tool. You might want to place the tool link in your bookmarks or your browser bookmark bar for ease of access. Mine is in my bookmark bar so it is always on my screen.
  • The tool allows you to move a picture into their facility, and it will then create a proper link to paste into your post. This embeds the actual image into the post. It automatically sizes the picture appropriately. Follow the directions of the tool.
  • Once the tool creates the image link, simply copy it and paste it into your post where you want the picture to appear.
  • To test this, you can go to the "Test" section fo the forum and create a test post....just scroll down to the bottom of all of the sections and you will see the "Test" section.

I can't get them off the phone at the moment to get them into my PC to then get then onto this site.....that's the problem, the PC somehow isn't seeing or allowing the pics to enter it....why I do not know? It has done it many times in the past....I'm hopeless at this type of technical electronic shit...lol.....Now if we had an old fashioned switch board....easy peasy...lol   simple take a wire and place it here type shit, I'd be great.....well I still do that with the phone to some extent but it won't travel down the frig'in wire....soon time for a hammer...lol

Time to find a teenagers, Hmmm....? Maybe a trip to the mall...lol

Edited by Willys

Hmmm....I'm starting to think that's the level of my abilities now a days when you're talking technology and cell phones etc etc.....augh....!!!!!!

Maybe tomorrow I'll go for a drive to a far off location......want to meet for a coffee, nothing strange just coffee....lol....almost sounds like a pick up line for sex......damn this is bad...lol.

1 hour ago, Willys said:

I made one with two medium sized cup holders in it. It's installed and works great.  The plastic amo can and two oversized plastic cups cut down to the right size to hold a medium coffee cup from timmies etc for referance, cut the two holes in the top after trimming off all the extra plastic ridges with sharp hunting knife, then trimmed off top lid and hinge etc etc using dremel cut off wheel, a simple sanding to get it nice and level then painted with charcol flat paint to match stock plastics, I added silicon to area where plastic cup sits into top or bottom of plastic ammo can to hold it in place , I also cut out the top to follow the hump on the floor so it grabs it without any help and stays there. Done deal. I'll post up pics as soon as I figure out why or what I have done that is stopping me from getting them from phone to pc....augh!

im too lazy to do all that

plus on a hot summer day i can get one of those giant diabetes slushies at mikes mart and just pull out the roll to make it fit in the cup holder

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I have the standard single cup holder that is 100% useless. I bought a hanging cup holder from Canadian Tire for $5.99 which was equally as useless. BUT! I cut the hanger off flush at the bottom and it fits snugly in the Original holder and easily holds all coffees up to XL without any issues at all. Going on 4 years now without tipping or spilling a drop. CT # is 037-4925-0. Tried something different attaching the pics so hopefully it works.

smart-fortwo-450-drinks-cup-holder-lhd.jpgCup Holder.png