BCsmart

potential new 06 smart car owner

317 posts in this topic

thats exactly like mine..except i put a tape roll in it because the rubber fingers dont work well enough to hold things steady

1 person likes this

roll of tape is a very good idea, will have to try that out. Definitely will be getting a 451 cup holder though

My issue was I needed two spots, I now have coffee stains on the seat betweenz me legs from the last timei drove it with two of us and I was forced to hold and shift etc etc with scalding hot coffee as wife had already dropped her tea in the holder and had her phone in full swing.....augh!   Two holes are a must......fixed now....

Edited by Willys

twice now I got into car the next day and started it up to see 1 less circle of fuel registered.....just pure dumb luck eh!? no visible leaks just thought it was kind of funny.

gas just jumped 10c per liter today around here not sure what if any change to diesel though, filled up yesterday at 124.9.

Have noticed a clunk type noise from front end somewhere when hitting a bump or turning but not always noticeable when turning to the right is when i do hear a clunk type noise.  If it is dry tomorrow I am going to jack the front end up and take a peak  to see what might be loose or look worn.

They are prone to breaking front springs.  Maybe a broken sway bar link?

Nigel

How often do some of you use diesel additive? put in tank before filling up?

Will check about front springs and sway bar thanks Nigel for tip.

Who has replaced stock radio with a single din cd player? Did you buy the fascia piece only from somewhere other than smartmods from the UK? Will a radio fit just not have the finished look on the sides? I just gave my last deck away so until I go visit my buddy I can't just try to see how it would fit.

Also is there an adapter that I will need to get to plug into the jvc deck I will be using...that or its an alpine cant remember. 

lol...I thought my days of stereos was over...lol...but like you I want usb and that other input jack for phone......but at the moment I'm happy with the stocker.  I may go after  sirius radio which my wife has, we both love it! never ending music and whatever.....what I may have to do is install a usb multi plug or make up one...?  Or a power point for all the added things, back up camera, GPS, sirius, and whatever else i can think of...lol.  Maybe just a second fuse bar etc under dash hidden.  Damn my back and neck are going to hate me!  Hmmm....additives....I have spent more time than I'm comfrotable reading labels and not buying anything.....as the engine is running perfectly etc......augh!

Too bad about clunking sound, but i doubt anything too bad.....hey, didn't you get it safetied? IF so, neither a spring or a sway bar broken should have passed the safety....unless you got it wink wink...lol.  Just saying....????

Willys- Car was not inspected per say, but it was at a shop not too long ago....does not mean the shop actually took a look at anything though, will have to inspect myself.

I wonder if lordco actually carries stock replacement parts for the smart, you would think any parts store would, just cost ya a bundle for whatever you need. Can't see it being dealer only for parts. Never looked or asked as I haven't needed anything yet. Just thought I would post to see if or where you all get your generic parts like stock springs from

When i was searching lift kits, there's many many spring kits for the smart and not as bad as i thought.....fleabay I think it was.... $518 for a 2" lift kit if i recall correctly....not that you want the lift kit, but most were lowering 

Edited by Willys

If it's just a single spring ask Glenn.....you never know...?   He also has great connections.....?

A bad ball joint is likely the cause of the "clunk".  A broken spring is usually very noticeable with respect to front ride height.

Edited by Huronlad

I need a Glenn that resides in BC who has tons of smart parts...don't think that exists though!

Huronlad- I will have to check out the ball joint tomorrow. Hoping I can source the problem and fix soon, back to work and the long commute after this weekend

Does the replacement shift knob have to have an auto button on the side?

Anyone want to provide any info about if an adapter is needed to plug an aftermarket deck in? On evilution and fq101 I couldnt find any specific details.

Also, if you use diesel additive what do you recommend and how often do you use it?

thanks!!

1 hour ago, BCsmart said:

How often do some of you use diesel additive? put in tank before filling up?

Will check about front springs and sway bar thanks Nigel for tip.

Who has replaced stock radio with a single din cd player? Did you buy the fascia piece only from somewhere other than smartmods from the UK? Will a radio fit just not have the finished look on the sides? I just gave my last deck away so until I go visit my buddy I can't just try to see how it would fit.

Also is there an adapter that I will need to get to plug into the jvc deck I will be using...that or its an alpine cant remember. 

my coupe has a regular single din stuffed in the hole...no adapter plate...it fits good enough that people dont even notice its not stock

ive never looked at the wiring because it was in there when i bought it....i know i wired in back speakers but dont remember if the harness had an adapter or was just soldered in the old way

diagram https://www.tehnomagazin.com/Auto-radio-car-connector/SMART-Car-Radio-Wiring-Connector.htm

i use kleen flo additive every second fill in my daily driver (the coupe)....previous owner of my cabrio had fuel gauge accuracy problems until i told him to use additive and then he never had the problem again (would not always rgister at full if i remember correctly)

Edited by LooseLugNuts

17 minutes ago, BCsmart said:

Also, if you use diesel additive what do you recommend and how often do you use it?

thanks!!

This is what I’m using. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Diesel-Kleen-Plus-Cetane-Boost-80-oz/16644702 you can also buy it at CT. 

I use it in every fill up. Why bc I have no idea what the previous owner did or didn’t do.  I’m also running every other tank 50% diesel 50% jet fuel. I add the same amount of engine oil as additive as the jet fuel has no lubricants add. I’m a aircraft mechanic so every now and again I get 45 gals of jet fuel given to me.

As as for the radio I’m interested as well. I would like Bluetooth

No idea on the shift knob   

If you want "Softtouch" (Auto) functionality, the replacement knob has to have the side button as, that's where the micro switch resides.

If you don't mind shifting, "Softtip" (Manual) functionality then, any knob that will fit will do.

Edited by lebikerboy

I will have to check local store to look into these additives and read more about them. Sounds like it gets used quite often(every 2nd tank). I wish I had a deck to check this radio thing simply but that will have to wait a bit.

As for shift knob, not worried about the auto function so that is good to know it isn't needed to have the button. Will have to see what will fit on it though, I assume there are no threads if you just pull the stock knob off.

2 hours ago, Huronlad said:

A bad ball joint is likely the cause of the "clunk".  A broken spring is usually very noticeable with respect to front ride height.

I agree! That's what I would look for.

hoping to get a better look at the clunking noise later today. too busy dealing with poor drainage from city street coming onto my property...they don't seem to want to help resolve it either, which is quite frustrating.

Hopefully whatever the issue is the part is reasonably priced and fairly local. Need the part by Monday, back to work and the long daily commute starting Tuesday...