BCsmart

potential new 06 smart car owner

299 posts in this topic

+1 Mike. Eddy's remap is based on the one smart developed

for the Brabus diesel version which, was never introduced...

I have only had my Smart since late December. But the worse mileage I have gotten was 4.6l/100km. Now I’m averaging 3.6. The difference is I finally figured out how to shift and not buying diesel at a particle station. For what ever reason my fuel economy suffers when I buy fuel from them. I now buy Shell diesel and get much better mileage. Also when I burn 50% jet fuel my mileage is the same. 

Serenity- Are you doing almost all of your driving on the highway doing 100 or slightly higher like I am? 

I have bought my fuel at either Husky/Mohawk or Petro Canada. 

What is the "proper way to shift in your opinion?''

5 hours ago, BCsmart said:

Serenity- Are you doing almost all of your driving on the highway doing 100 or slightly higher like I am? 

I have bought my fuel at either Husky/Mohawk or Petro Canada. 

What is the "proper way to shift in your opinion?''

I drive county highways with stop signs and small towns. The speed limit is 60-90 km. So I’m driving 60-110km. One way 138km. I upshift at 3000 rpm and try and stay above 2000rpm. I found better fuel mileage at 2800 in 5th than at 1900 rpm in 6th as it is bogging. 

We just picked up our 2005 passion. We already have a 2006 Grandstyle.  Same engine but it shits a lot different. Both have been remapped but I don’t know if it is the same tune.  Also the egr has been foooled in the Grandstyle. Egr still working on the Passion. The passion likes to be shifted around 3200 or it a dog on the upshift. But on the maiden voyage the passion showed 3.8l/100km on the  89km trip home. Mostly highway. 

Also the boost on the Grandstyle will reach 215 and Passion 198 as per the scan gauge. So I’m assuming better turbo on the Grandstyle 

I agree with the shift pattern of above post, it works well for me...I also do noit pound it on accelleration from a,light normally but have been a bit more aggressive on this last tank and the scan guage isn't showing much of a difference average wise so far...strange? I averaged 3.7 on a windy drive from my home an hour north of Toronto to Ottawa along highway 7, so 100kmh and under down to 85 maybe.....I watched and worked hard to keep it at the lowest average on the way there and got a good for me number, I think it was 3.7 maybe 3.6 I'm old...sorry....lol....but on the way back home with my mother in tow, I had to be social so couldn't watch the guage as well...I still got under 4kph......so I'm happy enough until I get to taking stuff apart....lol.,   That'll happen when i get back in two weeks and the warmer oil spray blasting off weather gets here, sorry Glenn,,,but I hate getting covered in it when looking at anything...lol. I'll reaply in the fall.
Just a thought, what a bout the intercooler rad thing a ma gig that get rubbed through...? Could that be giving him his bad numbers?  I don't know just spit ball'in...?  That is the thing that will be my first thing I'm taking off to make sure it doesn't happen to mine.  
The next thought is, what would the larger turbo do, or are we already running one??? Again I do not know? I did see a thread about a 60 sized turbo that could be fitted to increase the power. But if it ruins the rest why bother, well I know why, just saying...if fuel economy is your target maybe a larger turbo isn't the right way to solve it?  I do not know enough to be dangeroius about diesels but enough to piss enough people off with my ideas and thoughts...lol. I'll say sorry in advance, ok?

Persoanlly I think it's all related to over 100 KPH speeds......but then again....what do i know...?   I do know mine will do easily 130 along the highway when called upon to do it....as I expect most will. Just a few miles to see and then back down to my comfortable 100...lol much to the regret of the other users of the highway...lol

With the extra couple L you can squeeze into the tank by rocking it, that will make a difference in making me be able to get 2 full days of driving in I believe.

Willys- What is this intercooler rad thing a ma gig?

9 hours ago, LifeinSerenity said:

....the boost on the Grandstyle will reach 215 and Passion 198 as per the scan gauge. So I’m assuming better turbo on the Grandstyle 

Boost is adjustable quite easily.

That rad or intercooler is on the left side of the engine bay deep down at the back, barely visible....it has a known issue that the plastic scoop that directs the air into it rubs on the fins and wears through them, making it useless, so Glenn showed me. A very poor design flaw!  It's something I'm taking out and dealing with as soon as it's warm enough to work outside  so to speak....I don't work on stuff untless i'm forced to in the cold, yep I'm old and sensitive now....lol....I plan on taking it out, cleaning it well, doing a very thorough search on it for any wear damages, then possibly getting a 3/4" flat strip of alluminium and epoxying that to the place that could touch the scoop to forever stop that from happening. Then trim the scoop so it can't reach the cooler. So doubly protecting or over protecting the issue so to speak. I over kill everything. I do not like doing something twice if it can be avoided.....like i said. I'm old and cranky now..lol.    I'll also go after the turbo while in there just to get aquainted with it and see it's condition, just for shits and giggles. For future thoughts...lol.  The other issue for me is the split in my exhaust, that upsets me so I will find a sealed small muffler that will fit in that location and make it fit plumbing wise. Someone suggested a kubota muffler off a tractor...? But there are many sealed mufflers that do not have a seam to come apart from what i have seen.....it's just a matter of figuring out how much space I have to work with. I'll take pics of anything I do to modify anything and post them after .So if they work other could follow suit.

Interesting to know about the intercooler, that is unfortunate for sure...hope I don't have that issue anytime soon. Can you weld your existing muffler to help extend the life of it?? Maybe get some form of an aftermarket muffler, although that will be pricey I am sure. Fitting a stock muffler from something else will be cheaper, don't think it will change or affect the sound or running of the car either.

I hope I don't need to crawl under the crawl for a bit, started shed building today, the back definitely feels things more than it use to, damn I need a hot tub!! Hope to get most of it done tomorrow minus the door and maybe the window.

will be very happy to get rid of this stock radio. it switches stations quite regularly now even when holding that button to turn it off. Oh well not a big deal, after a close super fill I got 464 km to the tank, forgot to grab gas receipt but pretty sure that it was 21L of fuel.

What site or way do you calculate your mpg or l/100 km. Last time I posted a mpg I was off by almost 10 mpg apparently

There is a feature which allows the radio to search for a stronger signal when you are in a fringe area.  I forget how right this second, but I had the same problem here until I read through the manual and found out how to turn off the auto search feature.

I was told to press and hold the tp button I believe it was. seems like it needs to be done quite frequently when you are driving my route to and from work that is.

1 minute ago, BCsmart said:

I was told to press and hold the tp button I believe it was. seems like it needs to be done quite frequently when you are driving my route to and from work that is.

I believe you just press it once. It is a huge pain in the 

4 hours ago, LifeinSerenity said:

I believe you just press it once. It is a huge pain in the 

I thought my headunit was fubarred for a couple weeks...Until I tried pressing this button and the problem went away. The reception on my car is really lousy so if that option is enabled it will constantly search. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm pretty sure there's a way to go into the radio settings and disable TP is "Traffic Program" mode, and there's also an auto-scan mode. It's been a while since I've had a 450, but I seem to recall there was a way to go into advanced settings and disable auto-scan (AF) and traffic program (TP) so they wouldn't come back on.

Edited by darren

That would be nice to do for sure. Seems to not do it as much now just once to work and once on way home. Really need to get some free time to get to the coast and scavenge some parts and install a deck.

Glad to get 2 days of driving fully before fuel up. Props to anyone who get 500 or more km to a tank when driving 100km/h or slightly higher doing highway driving. Not going to happen for me.

Also just noticed how big the dash is, too bad there wasnt a way when designed to give more storage up front. Also was there not a rear storage compartment in the tailgate for the 450? Was it only available on a certain model smart?

To shut TP off, just momentarily press the TP button.

Measure over several tank fillings and the error will even out.

For best fuel economy drive at steady speed and not too fast staying below 90 km/h. 

Ensure tyres are inflated to specified pressures and wheel alignment is right. Confirm brakes are not binding. 

Worst 450 fuel economy is when driving into head wind with original cycle carrier fitted and carrying two bikes. Then mine was worse than yours. 

anyone have more of a delay between shifting from 3rd to 4th than any other gear?

The super fill is the way to go, also driving like what seems like grandma speeds has seemed to help a bit extending the km to a tank. just not as much fun driving at the speed limit or slightly over

Everyone does.  The gearbox is making two shifts.  The gearbox is actually a 3 speed with two final drive ratios.  So shifting from 3 to 4 means it shifts from 3 to 1 and then shifts from the first final drive ratio to the second.  Super trivia for the smart nerd.

Self explanatory view of detents at gear end of shift drum:

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

Photo of my opened out transmission taken in September 2017. Just could not resist peeping inside. 

1 person likes this

is it common on start up to have some slight blue smoke? I know that is usually piston rings on a gas motor

Hmmm....???? Blue smoke on a cold diesel....I'm thinking yep.....or at least I'm hoping it'll be a yes...lol.    I'll let you know after I chip the 4" of ice that covers it...! AUGH....!   And NO..!!!  I'm not actually going to do it....I have a Rav4 for the worst days.....lol.

It's my fault, before i went to England for 2 weeks I put the snowblower away and brought out the lawn tracter....lol....Sorry....!   Just sitting here watching our 2018 Ice storm blow it's heart out.....toasty!

The remapped cars tend to smoke and stink a bit on startup.  If ti is more than a puff or two of un-burned fuel, there might be an EGR issue or something.