BCsmart

potential new 06 smart car owner

316 posts in this topic

Has anyone installed a tach into a smart that didnt have one and had to get the computer flashed to make it work? Can you go to any mechanic shop with diagnostic scanners and computers or does it have to be Mercedes? They would not ruin the remap that is on the car would they?

MB Star and WinStar will code rpm gauge.  I do it for a pint of good ale.

Will have to see who has this winStar program as I have never heard of it

I believe "Uncle Glenn" has done it before, but I could be wrong.  He is on vacation right now anyway and you appear to be at the other side of the country.  He could be the guy to talk to about it when he gets back

29 minutes ago, Leadwing said:

I believe "Uncle Glenn" has done it before, but I could be wrong.  He is on vacation right now anyway and you appear to be at the other side of the country.  He could be the guy to talk to about it when he gets back

Yes, Uncle Glenn used his "Star" program to activate my tach a couple years ago for a new install.

So I only do super fills now, when I did the last one on Tuesday night my gauge only ready 3/4 full but she was damn full no doubt about it. Anyone ever had that happen to them before? 2nd time for me

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yes, your fuel sending unit is gumming up.  It will get worse, and ultimately totally random.  Use something like Petrolabs additive at every fill to prevent it.

Edited by MikeT

yep..previous owner of my cabrio had same problem..i told him to add some kleenflo every few fillups .....and the problem quickly went away

picked up some kleenflo, says add 100ml to 227L. So add 100ml ever 10 or so tanks of fuel? Or does it needed to be added to every tank in 10ml incriments?

It's the ratio that matters.  I usually put 30 mL in each tank, of Petrolabs which is probably too much but those puppies gum up really badly if there is not enough.

Ya I will have to try to find a small container with measurements or just get a squirt bottle lid and squirt some in every fill up. If ratio is all I am after then I guess it only needs around 10ml which ain't much per tank.

Maybe a turkey baster has small measurements on it?

Put it in the pump nozzle before pumping fuel and then it's easy.

OK, that's the best answer I've heard in years!   Genious!

I went out to dollar store and bought small 50ml containers in their craft section to carry it in, so far so good.

got a squirt bottle from dollar store and shot it in, but putting it into gas nozzle does seem like a better idea. how do you guys calculate your mpg or L/100km?

Total litres, divided by how many hundred km you went on the tank.  For example: 20L and 450 km: 20/4.50 = 4.44 L/100

Scan Gauge helps greatly...lol. But like mike says, you can always do it long hand and get a calculator out...lol

Edited by Willys

ScanGauges are not particularly accurate for fuel consumption and need to be carefully calibrated for semi-accurate results.  I have 370,000 km of records to show that :D

Close enough when calibrated for me.....can't beat the scientific calculator that's for sure.....but for a daily figure, it'll do fine.

23.7L 558km = 4.25L/100km on this last tank, driving the speed limit most of the time. 66mpg i think?

4.25 is quite OK - my lifetime average with the modified Canada 1 is just about 0.03L less than that.  Anywhere in the low 4s is decent.  Carefully driven at speed limits, the mid-3s are possible.

Edited by MikeT

so far on this tank, 1 day of commute to and from work I barely hit 100kmh. I think I can get over 600km to a tank, but hard to know for sure as I will have to fill up after day 3 aka wednesday. Unless I wanted to stop for fuel on my way to work on thursday which is unlikely but if I remember I will try to do that to see how far I can stretch it

Barely hit 100kph, lol....it's adictive isn't it...lol....you soon are wiling to slow down a bit when you see the fantastic numbers that are capable with this car. I can drive to Ottawa for the same cost it takes my truck to drive 45 minutes to the nearest Costco...lol.   Truck is going up for sale..I fear!   1952 Willys/Overland Pick-up street rod so to speak....or trade for equivilant priced RV C class.

It is not much fun being passed a ton on the drive home as I putter alone at the speed limit, but I get another 100ish km by driving this way compared to when I drove 110-120 when speed limit was 100. Hard to say for sure but having to only fuel up twice a week is nice, that is barring any decent driving on the weekends.

so headlight has burnt out. Is there a way to make the headlights only turn on when you want them too and not be on fully all the time? How hard is it to do this?

Also driving like a granny so far this week, quite depressing how many people have passed me, more in 3 days than all of my driving in my life and going forward probably haha. but going into day 4 on same tank, she is low so will need a fill on the way to work or maybe I can get there and fill up as I head home. Either way this should be a for sure 600km tank and probably the last. But at least I can say I did it!