BCsmart

potential new 06 smart car owner

317 posts in this topic

I did this and had a hard time gettingit to start afterwards, not exactly what I did in the end to get it to start but did start to panic...lol   I think it was the foot on the brake pedal which got it out of "R" and back to "N"....I don't know, but it's scarey when it doesn't start when you don't know why.....I think you must be religious about how you stop and start it gear choice etc, whether or not this is correct I don't know?

As for mods, that is what I do...lol    I'm a sick modder...I simply can't leave my stuff alone...I always look to change things for either the better or worse....I simply have a sickness...lol.   I simply want this vehicle to replace my adventure bike and get me to those far off places and get me home again for less fuel costs.  I also may tow a small single man trailer, coffin sized made from alluminium with a hard roof like a covered wagon...it weighs maybe 150lbs so far and I was going to tow it with my bike without the hard roof. So thought the Smart could tow it with the hard roof as it would fit into it's slip stream. See I don't sleep much...lol.   I even saw a youtube where a woman was using it as a camper on weekends, sleeping in it!!!!  I measured it....yep almost possible!  A bit bigger than a mummy tent, used by bikers....so it is doable, but not with my spine...lol.

It also has not bad power if you keep the RPMs above 3000 and being able to drive in manual this is easy!  I haven't had any issue so far to easily keep up on hills. No not mountains, but hills none the less.

23 minutes ago, Willys said:

I did this and had a hard time gettingit to start afterwards, not exactly what I did in the end to get it to start but did start to panic...lol   I think it was the foot on the brake pedal which got it out of "R" and back to "N"....I don't know, but it's scarey when it doesn't start when you don't know why.....I think you must be religious about how you stop and start it gear choice etc, whether or not this is correct I don't know?

As for mods, that is what I do...lol    I'm a sick modder...I simply can't leave my stuff alone...I always look to change things for either the better or worse....I simply have a sickness...lol.   I simply want this vehicle to replace my adventure bike and get me to those far off places and get me home again for less fuel costs.  I also may tow a small single man trailer, coffin sized made from alluminium with a hard roof like a covered wagon...it weighs maybe 150lbs so far and I was going to tow it with my bike without the hard roof. So thought the Smart could tow it with the hard roof as it would fit into it's slip stream. See I don't sleep much...lol.   I even saw a youtube where a woman was using it as a camper on weekends, sleeping in it!!!!  I measured it....yep almost possible!  A bit bigger than a mummy tent, used by bikers....so it is doable, but not with my spine...lol.

It also has not bad power if you keep the RPMs above 3000 and being able to drive in manual this is easy!  I haven't had any issue so far to easily keep up on hills. No not mountains, but hills none the less.

Ya I will see how the power is but seems like a remap gives decent upgrades without breaking the bank account. So that is nice and I doubt much of a loss in mileage will upset me...it will still be remarkably good in my opinion.

I'm not saying do not do it, I was under the impression that you were after a high miler so to speak...lol.   Like I have said, I can't leave it alone. I want to beef up the suspension...lol   I have already found air bag kits etc etc to get rid of the weak springs known to break. Nope not spending that sort of money...lol. But will be measuring ATV strut springs off a Polaris etc ATV as they look the same length etc, and not sure about spring rates.....so do what you feel is best...lol....no fear from me..lol

Willys

It took my wife a few times to figure out why the car wouldn’t start.  Press the unlock on the remote to turn off the immobilizer, foot on brake, key on to unlock shifter, shift to neutral and start.  I usually park in reverse because I tend not to pull the brake handle hard enough to be effective.  I must be getting old and weak.

Nigel

1 person likes this

20 minutes ago, Willys said:

I'm not saying do not do it, I was under the impression that you were after a high miler so to speak...lol.   Like I have said, I can't leave it alone. I want to beef up the suspension...lol   I have already found air bag kits etc etc to get rid of the weak springs known to break. Nope not spending that sort of money...lol. But will be measuring ATV strut springs off a Polaris etc ATV as they look the same length etc, and not sure about spring rates.....so do what you feel is best...lol....no fear from me..lol

bit of fun is always needed too, fuel is needed regardless. I dont plan on doing much to it, I would like to put a stereo in it, would ideally like to rock the same tire and wheel combo so i can rotate tires and have more tire area touching the road. But that doesn't seem to be an easy find, need to spend some coin on special rims?

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Willys

It took my wife a few times to figure out why the car wouldn’t start.  Press the unlock on the remote to turn off the immobilizer, foot on brake, key on to unlock shifter, shift to neutral and start.  I usually park in reverse because I tend not to pull the brake handle hard enough to be effective.  I must be getting old and weak.

Nigel

Sounds super simple when you put it like that. I always like leaving a car in gear, only use the park brake when on hills. I am sure you could adjust your park brake lever so it only clicks a couple times. Adjustment inside the drum usually does that on other vehicles. I dont like yanking on a park brake to have it fully engaged either.

1 person likes this

As for the radio, it's not that bad, but then again I'm now old and have given up the head pounding sound levels unless the solid anthems come on the radio...lol....but for daily usages, it seems OK for now...lol.  Besides it has an orange sized altenator and battery....lol....probably couldn't push much more in way of amps to power a great system...lol.

I always loved the stance of wide tires sitting out on all 4 corners myself......but again they take fuel to push and HP I bet when it's in short supply.  Just a silly reason to leave it alone...lol

Yes once you get into a system it is easy to start etc, it's just the other times when you forget to stop it in the opposite system...lol....at 40 I started  aching, at 50 someone drilled a hole large enough for everything I ever learned to fall out of my head, I turn 60 this sept. what's next????

18 minutes ago, Willys said:

.at 40 I started  aching, at 50 someone drilled a hole large enough for everything I ever learned to fall out of my head, I turn 60 this sept. what's next????

70, 80 and beyond :lol:

Is that a threat...?     or......lol

I'm soon expecting someone to say a diaper...!!!!

1 hour ago, Willys said:

As for the radio, it's not that bad, but then again I'm now old and have given up the head pounding sound levels unless the solid anthems come on the radio...lol....but for daily usages, it seems OK for now...lol.  Besides it has an orange sized altenator and battery....lol....probably couldn't push much more in way of amps to power a great system...lol.

I always loved the stance of wide tires sitting out on all 4 corners myself......but again they take fuel to push and HP I bet when it's in short supply.  Just a silly reason to leave it alone...lol

Yes once you get into a system it is easy to start etc, it's just the other times when you forget to stop it in the opposite system...lol....at 40 I started  aching, at 50 someone drilled a hole large enough for everything I ever learned to fall out of my head, I turn 60 this sept. what's next????

Hopeflly your inching closer to retirement, then you can fully enjoy your smart!

I have been retired since roughly 2001, when I was rearended in a Honda Civic by a Bronco at 80kph while sitting at a red light!........so I'm almost used to sitting at home doing nothing...lol.   I like to travel as i have said before  and that is why I bought this machine.....cheap on fuel means i can go further.

4 hours ago, Willys said:

I have been retired since roughly 2001, when I was rearended in a Honda Civic by a Bronco at 80kph while sitting at a red light!........so I'm almost used to sitting at home doing nothing...lol.   I like to travel as i have said before  and that is why I bought this machine.....cheap on fuel means i can go further.

Sounds like good times are ahead. Do you have a build or modification thread for your car? So I can see what you have done or what you are planning on doing. That is one area of this site I haven't found where simple mods can be done, I am sure it is right under my nose though!

BCsmart, sorry I haven't done anything to write about yet at all.....mine already has the leds done and daylight running lights from the previous owner, Smart142  Like I said i was very lucky to find this one with the owner it had. I know it's history and story as he posted his trip out to St John NFLD.  here on the site.  I'm also on the Smartcarclub site and it has plenty of information about personal builds etc with how to's etc....making me wish the warmer weather was here already...lol.  I have a big peeve so far and that is cup holders! Can't imagine myself saying this but it's true! I need at least 2 cup holders  for it to be useable so I have found out...lol. I also want to install my cell phone above the rear view mirror unless I do the rear camera mod to that location, but don't really see the need for one. BUT I do realize it's hard to see behind you when backing up! I also want to get stronger springs if the stock ones are a libility as i must be able to ride gravel roads for hours or days on end without them snaping...! I will also be going after every electrical connection to water proof it from corrosion, and also the computers.....the one under the passanger's foot space is a bad one from what i read, so it'll be coming apart and water proofing and sealing. I also want a man's horn installed, I have a far louder horn already but until i get the front panels off I can find the horn location to work from. I will add the second horn to accent the hipitched stock one with a low tone horn. I also like Hid head light low beams, I find them far brighter. I see most every other vehicle wants to blind me, so I'll reverse the favor.  I will install rear fog lights like they have in England so I hopefully won't get rearended again? Same with front, possibly a set of LEDs in the grill somewhere.  I also may update the radio simply because of the lack of a USB port and aux port so i can learn to use my phone etc for music when out of range of radio stations. I will also be going after that inter cooler and any other engine gremlins and solving their reasons why etc. I demand reliability...lol. I also will build a tow bar as I have seen the stock one off the vehicle and it's simply na flat piece of steel with a tongue hanging down to attach a ball onto, far to weak imho....lol. Not for anything rediculous just a very small trailer, very small...lol. Coffin sized. made from alluiminium. 
I don't have much planned...lol....as I have nothing but time to kill....along with my back shoulders and neck....but I have meds....so we may survive!

I'm also going to England and Scotland April 1st for 2 weeks, so I may just need a stronger suitcase to carry back springs...lol. They are cheap over there I see.lol.  It won';t be the first time I have brought back parts off tractors or cars in my luggage.....lol.

I have serious plans for this car next summer, it needs to get me to Inuvik and then Toktiuktuk...and back!

And not on the back of a flatbed!

23 minutes ago, Willys said:

BCsmart, sorry I haven't done anything to write about yet at all.....mine already has the leds done and daylight running lights from the previous owner, Smart142  Like I said i was very lucky to find this one with the owner it had. I know it's history and story as he posted his trip out to St John NFLD.  here on the site.  I'm also on the Smartcarclub site and it has plenty of information about personal builds etc with how to's etc....making me wish the warmer weather was here already...lol.  I have a big peeve so far and that is cup holders! Can't imagine myself saying this but it's true! I need at least 2 cup holders  for it to be useable so I have found out...lol. I also want to install my cell phone above the rear view mirror unless I do the rear camera mod to that location, but don't really see the need for one. BUT I do realize it's hard to see behind you when backing up! I also want to get stronger springs if the stock ones are a libility as i must be able to ride gravel roads for hours or days on end without them snaping...! I will also be going after every electrical connection to water proof it from corrosion, and also the computers.....the one under the passanger's foot space is a bad one from what i read, so it'll be coming apart and water proofing and sealing. I also want a man's horn installed, I have a far louder horn already but until i get the front panels off I can find the horn location to work from. I will add the second horn to accent the hipitched stock one with a low tone horn. I also like Hid head light low beams, I find them far brighter. I see most every other vehicle wants to blind me, so I'll reverse the favor.  I will install rear fog lights like they have in England so I hopefully won't get rearended again? Same with front, possibly a set of LEDs in the grill somewhere.  I also may update the radio simply because of the lack of a USB port and aux port so i can learn to use my phone etc for music when out of range of radio stations. I will also be going after that inter cooler and any other engine gremlins and solving their reasons why etc. I demand reliability...lol. I also will build a tow bar as I have seen the stock one off the vehicle and it's simply na flat piece of steel with a tongue hanging down to attach a ball onto, far to weak imho....lol. Not for anything rediculous just a very small trailer, very small...lol. Coffin sized. made from alluiminium. 
I don't have much planned...lol....as I have nothing but time to kill....along with my back shoulders and neck....but I have meds....so we may survive!

I'm also going to England and Scotland April 1st for 2 weeks, so I may just need a stronger suitcase to carry back springs...lol. They are cheap over there I see.lol.  It won';t be the first time I have brought back parts off tractors or cars in my luggage.....lol.

I have serious plans for this car next summer, it needs to get me to Inuvik and then Toktiuktuk...and back!

And not on the back of a flatbed!

Right on that just sounds smart to bring back parts when you are over their!! I agree the lack of usb or aux is unfortunate, that will be something I have to change fairly soon of the get go. Will have to check about the water issues with electrical. I won't be going off of pavement and not hauling any real weight other than myself so I think stock springs will be fine.

I would like to have wider tires all around that can be rotated as well. Best and cheapest solution I have come across is useing 4 rear rims off a 451. Apparently the rears would then need a 25mm spacer though to make it all work. Hoping to find some rims used, but not in a huge rush. Auto wrecker would be best place but not a lot of them are at those places, unless you go to the pricey wreckers where parts cost a ton more.

I pulled a rear wiper motor from a smart car for someone and they wanted $100 used for it!!! But new it was almost $400 from dealer apparently, so ya save the $300. The rear wiper motor nozzle hose connectors are cheap and break easily it seems. Mechanic thought that was what stopped old motor from working as hose was spraying fluid around motor after the plastic barb conenctor was broken on the car but owner didnt know that and kept squirting washer fluid who knows how many times

I know of a guy who has at least a dozen of them and may want to sell some parts, smart142, ask him he may be able to help. I also found and older guy who has 3, two he has for spares from driving them until something small broke and he simply parked them! Then went out and bought a new one...lol. I guess he has money...lol. I can get one for $500 all in, so you may not be the only one with wide rims if they have them...lol.   The computers, glass and almost everything to pick from makes one a good investment to have hanging around imho.....so if you have the space and wish that'll be my best solution for cheap parts if and when they are required. Plus it'll give me a spare engine to rebuild beforehand and play with to see what can be done to this tiny 3 pot diesel....wink wink....

Why can't you run rear wheels on the front...I don't know and haven't checked or asked.....just a silly question?   I'll wait to be humiliated...lol

40 minutes ago, Willys said:

I know of a guy who has at least a dozen of them and may want to sell some parts, smart142, ask him he may be able to help. I also found and older guy who has 3, two he has for spares from driving them until something small broke and he simply parked them! Then went out and bought a new one...lol. I guess he has money...lol. I can get one for $500 all in, so you may not be the only one with wide rims if they have them...lol.   The computers, glass and almost everything to pick from makes one a good investment to have hanging around imho.....so if you have the space and wish that'll be my best solution for cheap parts if and when they are required. Plus it'll give me a spare engine to rebuild beforehand and play with to see what can be done to this tiny 3 pot diesel....wink wink....

Why can't you run rear wheels on the front...I don't know and haven't checked or asked.....just a silly question?   I'll wait to be humiliated...lol

I assume the person you bought it from smart142 lives back east as well? I am all the way in BC, so doutb shipping a rim would be worth it...even if it was free!

When I was down in Vancouver there was a couple 451's at the wrecker, I am sure I can scrounge up 4 rear rims, the costly part is the spacers that seem to cost around $200 or so to buy. 

Again not something I need to run and get tomorrow, but if a good deal came up for rims I would grab them asap, then source a deal for spacers if that exists. Tires on car should be good till atleast fall. I would ideally like 2 full sets of rims so I can have winters and summers. But for now I dont tend to use this car much in winter...that could change if the savings are good and vehicle is reliable.

Rear rims are wider or have different offset so they would stick out past front fender apparently. But 451 rear rims dont by the sounds of it, but spacers would be needed on the rear, I guess to match things up? 451 rear rim must be narrower or different offset to the stock 450 rim

Yes smart142 is in London Ontario, and yes shipping might upset you some, I just thought I'd offer his name...lol. Good to learn about rims, maybe I may have some on these smarts I am looking at in my neck of the woods..lol. I have a lathe so could make the spacers but at the cost of materials and time etc, it's probably not saving me anything much besides the thrill of doing it to make my own.lol. Materials aren't cheap to simply start hacking strong alluminium now a days and steel well too heavy, for the system to add to it. I haven't seen any smarts in the local wreckers here....and i bet they will also ask an arm and a leg for parts, hense the purchase of a complete car appeals to me more. I also have two sets of stock rims, alloys for summer with near new tires and a blank set of steels for new winter rubber. There is a guy here who runs a black one as his winter car, his summer is one of the new chargers with so much horsepower he has difficulty keeping it in a straight line on dry pavement he says let alone snow! He did warn me to never unhook the anti skid mechanisn in the winter, yep he tried and said he couldn't go 25 feet without spining out...lol. But with it turned on he said it'll go through almost anything until it gets belly paned and that wasn't often at all. I have a toyota echo 2005 with 4 snows and it goes through anything also, and has 540K on it and runs like new...been ditched 5 times though, thanks dear! Notyhing more than body panels and bumpers....after the second time i don't care any more...lol.

What is a good set of tools to keep handy in the car or for working on it? Seems like it is torq or hex type bolts and such. I think I probably have the right parts mixed in with misc tools I have over the years, just seems like the Smart is not your typical 10mm car or philips screwdriver

1 person likes this

Here's a start:

A 15mm 1/2''  socket and breaker bar for the wheel bolts.

A T25 screw driver takes off the panels

A torx E18 1/2'' socket for the caliper bolts

A 13mm long socket and 17mm wrench for the front brakes

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like i said we are almost at the same spot, I just bought two different types of torx 3/8 drive bits and a good multi bit, long bit handle held screw driver for all the easy to loosen  bits and pieces.  I normally carry arounbd a 30lb bag of good tools in my vehicles, they all have their own, but....so far I do not see the need yet. Again I haven't looked too hard at the engine bay yet.....so the bag will get lighter i'm sure....lol.  As I said before i bought mine from the Guru of the southern ontario area, and he had it as his personal car so i'm pretty sure it'll be good until i start into it...lol

Speak of the DEVIL...Hi Glenn...lol

Hope you're not missing this car yet, yes i know that electric is FAST!

Edited by Willys

Thanks for the basic tool part list...I didn't quote you this time!

Yes it does, it will take days if not weeks to get through what you need to learn...or it will me...lol
A great site for sure.

Definitely useful for sure. sourcing out some tools now, but before I buy I will wait till daylight and double check though my tools to see what I got first!

You should add a small bottle jack or scissors jack to that list of tools ...... just in case!