Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Window tinting....$$$

57 posts in this topic

I did the door handle window bits and every window rear of that 20% tint my self. It cost about $30 and took about 2 hours, perfect no bubbles. This summer im going to vinyl wrap the roof to keep the car cooler, and possibly tint all windows(not front window) something like 15%. I will have to take the old tint off which is a huge pain in the ass.

its too bad they didnt make a collapsable cover for the roof that covered more glass. I will tint my back windows, they are so small it wont be to bad at all to do.

RobCDI ..... I'm not a professional, but one of the employees at a tint shop told me that he used a heat gun to coax the old tint off.  You can use this as a suggestion that you might try, but I can't guarantee results.

7 hours ago, BCsmart said:

. I will tint my back windows, they are so small it wont be to bad at all to do.

Those back windows don't tint well. Plastic on plastic and then then they bubble and deform.

For the tiny plastic windows, I used the product in photo #1.  To keep the aftermarket film tint clean, I use the product shown in photo #2.Using the spray tint for the plastic windows requires several light coats rather than one heavy one

tint 002.JPG

tint 001.JPG

10 hours ago, Leadwing said:

RobCDI ..... I'm not a professional, but one of the employees at a tint shop told me that he used a heat gun to coax the old tint off.  You can use this as a suggestion that you might try, but I can't guarantee results.

Yeah, I have tinted 3 cars before its not too bad if you have the right tools. +1 on the night shade on the plastic windows.

What tint % is your car lead wing? It looks good

3 hours ago, RobCDI said:

+1 on the night shade on the plastic windows.

What tint % is your car lead wing? It looks good

I'm not sure what the % is, but it was the darkest available.  The tint shop called it limo tint.  They probably did tell me the percentage at the time, but I have since forgotten since it was year8 years ago.

They told me limo tint allowed 5% light in.....lol

So just to completely clear, lol, the corner rear windows are plastic and we shouldn't tint them the normal way....right..?  We use spray paint to tint those...lol...that spray window tint shown in the above post.....correct.....just so i know to instruct him correctly tomorrow.   OR am I confused...what about the second small window next to the main door window that doesn't move..? That one is glass right and can be tinted.  So I have really 5 windows to be tinted in total, not 7.

Thanks again guys.

I can see a rear camera being in my future soon maybe...lol.    I always said that if you need a camera to back your car up, maybe it's time to hand in your drivers license......augh....!!!!    And I'm thinking about one on a SMART CAR....!!!!!

Here is my US spec 451 with 10% tint on side and rear windows and a 10% strip on windshield.

IMG_3069.JPG

1 person likes this

Here is a better view.

249.jpg

1 person likes this

59 minutes ago, Willys said:

So just to completely clear, lol, the corner rear windows are plastic and we shouldn't tint them the normal way....right..?  We use spray paint to tint those...lol...that spray window tint shown in the above post.....correct.....just so i know to instruct him correctly tomorrow.   OR am I confused...what about the second small window next to the main door window that doesn't move..? That one is glass right and can be tinted.  So I have really 5 windows to be tinted in total, not 7.

Thanks again guys.

Instruct the tint guy (gal) that he shouldn't bother trying to tint the plastic windows, just the glass windows on both doors the rear window and possibly a strip across the top like the photo in 1983JZR3W's post #36.  Purchase the spray tint and DIY.  I did the spraying bit myself 8 years ago and it still looks fine.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Willys said:

I can see a rear camera being in my future soon maybe...lol.    I always said that if you need a camera to back your car up, maybe it's time to hand in your drivers license......augh....!!!!    And I'm thinking about one on a SMART CAR....!!!!!

Look over your right shoulder. There's the back of the car. Done.

11 hours ago, darren said:

Look over your right shoulder. There's the back of the car. Done.

Yeh, I know.....Here's my licence......lol.....I'm not worthy.....lol.....I NEVER thought I'd utter the words I may need a back-up camera.....!    Sniff....sniff......lol 

Hey Leadwing how exactly did you spray tint your side windows with VHT? Did you do the inside or outside? Watched how to do tail lights and they did the outside but normal tinting is always done on the inside

Willys ------- You were asking about tinting the plastic windows ..... Below in photo #1 is my same smart before I used the spray (nite-shades).  Photo #2 is what it looks like with the plastic windows sprayed.

BCsmart --- I used masking tape (of course) and did it on  the inside.  The spray has a dull finish so it wouldn't look that good if used on the outside.

Smart at the park 4.jpg

Smart with Flag.jpg

thanks for that, I wonder if the same procedures could be done for the windows like how they do the tail lights but doing the outside of the window and sanding it down.

Did you sand the vht or just leave it? How many coats did you apply?

BCsmart ....... Maybe I should have sanded them, but no, I didn't sand the windows.  Just mask the surrounding area and sprayed.  It must have been ok, because it still looks good   It was my first attempt at spraying a tint and the first window wasn't that pretty on the inside (still, it looked good on the outside).  The second window was better.  In both cases, looking at the finished work from the outside was great!  It accomplished what I was trying to do, and that was to darken all the side and rear windows.  I used about 6 very light coats.  Spray it on and let it dry, then repeat 5 more times.  The more layers, the darker it got (from the inside looking out).

OK, she's tinted, looks good, dark on the rear and small side windows he said somethng about 5% and 15% on the side windows.....it looks good and it's easy to see through for sure, BUT, it does close in the feel of the vehicle which is surprisingly noticable!  Not that it's a bad thing but I do now feel like I'm in a small car! I personally don't have issues with small tight places, but the wife might...lol.   I wondered if you could remove the rear corner windows? To get a good coverage job done. I don't like the idea of spraying a darkening agent inside as the over spray will drop onto everything inside. Time for sheets etc to cover it all I expect.  To tell you the truth I never looked though them in the first place I don't think, so I could simply paint them black...lol. But will gett eh correct stuff.
I'll post up pics once I figure out how to get them off my frig'in phone, I'm either using the wrong cord or I have locked something by mistake as I can't get the pics off it and onto the PC.....augh!...!!!!!!!!.........

I spent a good part of the afternoon talking to this guy, he really knows his stuff. I asked about stone chip protection also for the trip up north when that time comes closer, he said he could do almost anything. So I asked about the headlights...hge said he does them alll the time and not for the reasoning you would expect. He says the film stops the yellowing which occures on your headlights!!!   The Toyota has terrible yellowing and I have buffed them numerous times just to have it go back within months. He told me to do another buffing then come straight to him and he'll apply this film and that'll be it for buffing....interesting....for sure!  I may get him to do the smarts also just because?   Do we have this issue of yellowing of our headlights?

So now time to search that spray tint crap to get side windows done. But will suffer them stock until summer and the warmer weather.

Willys . re: yellowing headlights.  My smart is 13 years old and there is no yellowing at all, so I would have to answer NO .....  no yellowing on our smarts.   My 89 Honda is also completely clear, but the wifes  '96 Honda IS yellowing.  Go figure.

The smart lights seem to be relatively good for this.  Don't mess with them unless they are already yellowing.

Smart headlights are very bright and impressive in my opinion, I was surprised by how good they were for stock! easily twice as good vs my 07 civic which have faded from sun, time to try that toothpaste lense cleaning technique which seems to help for a cheap and fast solution.

Willys- Go outside when its dark and try to back up now...if its 5% your gonna have a hell of a time seeing at night, but it is a worthy trade off for what it does to the headlights behind you and for privacy on the inside. Did you get him to film tint or spray the plastic windows?

I'm quite happy with it in the sunlight for sure and realized that for night time driving especially backing up, hense the call for a back up invalid camera...lol.  It basically destroyed the sun blinding me from the side windows which is fantatsic and the few trucks i saw behind me on my way home which usually sit right at rear view mirror hieght weren't piercing like normal. I can only imagine what the night driving benefits will be in that respect also.  As for the rear side windows he knew he wouldn't be able to tint them sucessfully due to being plastic and so small and curved little windows. He said IF I wanted him to try he would have, but sid in 6 months they would have started to bubble badly, that was enough for me to hear, no thnks I'll tint them myself with that spray. He doesn't do spray tinting at all, but had heard it does work if done well. Mostly on tail lights by the kids etc......he hadn't had many ask him to do it so he doesn't carry it.  I will buy some today I think but will wait until the weather is better so I can do it outside and hopefully with windows off vehicle laying on a bench. I can see nothing but runs and over spray if done on the car, but if I have to.....augh!

I asked about the headlights because I have owned these plastic sealed beams before and some go really bad and some don't so i thought IF they are known to go bad I'd cover then before they had a chance to do so. He says he gets people who have buffed theirs up to close to factory and then he coats them with that film as the film basically stops them from going back to clowdy within 6 months as they do from the sun. The reason they go clowdy he say is because the lense looses it's coating and the UV rays simply destroy the lenses and you'll never stop it unless you seal the lense with some sort of film similar to new lenses.  He does a lot and has no complaints and he charges $50 typically and that also depends upon if he can do them depending on how bad the shape is for the film to adhere to the lense, the smoother the better.

On a nother note, my sucker came in yesterday in a flimsey carboard box wrapped in a single layer of very thin foam, all beaten up but not broken....! I asked the post office about it and they said well look at how they pachaged it...! I said....LOOK AT HOW YOU TREATED IT...!!!!   And that shut them up,, if it had been damaged I would have demanded they pay for a new one....it looked like someone had played football with it!  But it has all the correct hoses I think, a bigger one for the exit hose and a very thin one to go down the dipstick tube......works off a 12 volt battery with large cheap aligator clips, so today I'll play with it to see if it does suck well enough. Won't change my oil just see if it works.

I have not looked at the side windows closely at all, they are removable though? That will make spraying them ultra easy then being able to do them outside of the vehicle.

Hope your oil sucker works, I haven't had time to try to see if the one that hooks up to the shop vac from crappy tire fits or not. You will have to post a picture of your car when the windows get tinted