Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Exhaust thoughts...?

7 posts in this topic

OK as i have said in the past I hate this stock muffler for it's bottom seam where it rusts out early. So have been asking around a bit to different auto suppliers etc I go to, and one has sugested why don't i search into Kabota exhausts?  I never thought about those...?  Industrial for sure maybe last longer..?  But how much and how loud?  Same sized engines, roughly 3 cylinder deisels.....easy to weld to also....thoughts...?
There are many smaller auto exhaust cans to make work also I'm told, yes welding and fab will be necessary....but for a competant exhaust shop, not a problem I expect or I'll do it myself. That is find the close space where it needs to sit and make up the mounting tabs etc and then take it in to get pipes bent to fit etc.....thoughts...?

My muffler suffered the same fate a few years ago ( split along the bottom seam ) ..... Glenn "just happened to have" a spare that had been repaired with a piece of ½" 90º angle iron, cut to the proper length and welded in place..  It was a permanent fix and still gives no problems.

Is yours leaking now or is it just getting weak at the seam?  At one time Glenn had a welder that would cut the seam off and weld in a patch but that guy isn’t doing them anymore.  I had my seam welded last year  and it is holding up ok but not a long term fix.  If you can make something work go for it.  Several others have tried over the years but they usually don’t hold up over the long term.  I hope you are the successful one.

Nigel

Successful repair.  The smart that had the angle iron repair is my winter transportation ( salt and other messy stuff ) and the fix was permanent!  It does not leak and probably never will.

The repair to the original leaking seam had a grinder taken to it and smoothed it down a bit so the angle iron would fit snugly ( contact at both edges ) against the surface of the muffler and then welded its entire length including the ends.

I have a mig welder and can weld down to thiin carboard thicknesses, but think muffler material is always going to be weak and suffer the same fate sooner than later, but summer is coming so then I'll be looking more closely at it.......today's job cup holder...lol. I can do that without worrying about bringing the car into the garage.   lol.  my garge is carpeted and I like it that way.....lol.  I can work in it in shorts and a T shirt in comfort during the winter, but do not want the road salt and crap all over the carpet etc......in a pinch i can roll it up if I must do something, but it's not an important issue at the moment, just something to ponder over.  lol

im scrapping a 2005 caravan and noticed something interesting 

the rear resonator looks to long and small enough diameter to be a good fit in place of the original 450 cdi muffler...is even mounted similar with inlet on the right and outlet on the left

i have no idea if it would be quiet enough though

anyway if someone want to look into it further....its a 2005 special edition grand caravan with stowaway seats...the rear resonator is transversely mounted across the rear 

the factory ones look like a regular muffler ..rolled seams etc....the aftermarkets looks like a one piece welded construction

heres a video that shows it...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jERCUgt6h0Y

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I was cleaning out my shed and found a Hyundai accent resonator which also looks like it could fit with a bit of bending and welding...lol....It's nearly new, but has folded seems so not ideal...but for a winter beater far better than a leaky exhaust.  I took the spare car down the road just to see how loud it could be after reinstalling the muffler....OK, if you wind it out, it howls!   So it has to be looked into.  No hitch making, more cleaning garage to make space to get spare car in, motorcycle ready to leave and my trailer ready to work on also....maybe tomorrow...lol. I'm getting motivated slowly.