Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

OK, back-up camera.....??????

5 posts in this topic

OK, Back-up cameras, what do you know, who's used them before or presently? What can you tell me about them? What am I looking for  and how much for a unit to simply get the job done, no bells or whistles....a camera and a screen to look at..........help..????

Remember I'm cheap....lol.

Oh, I also like the idea of a foward facing camera incase I have some sot of incident where it may be helpfull to prove I wasn't at fault....seeing as we're talking cameras......damn.....soon I'll be all technically set up and won't know how to use any of it....lol.

I have a hitch cam on my Volvo with a 7 inch screen in the dash and it was less than a hundred dollars so you don't have to spend a lot.  No sense going "wireless" since you have to get power to the camera anyway.  Ideally replace a license plate lamp with a camera for professional looking installation. 

Nigel

One issue with the cdi is that it doesn't have a screen to display a rearview camera feed onto, so you'd have to mount one somewhere.

There are some really interesting combo units that combine a mirror (overlay for your stock mirror), forward-facing dash cam, and remote rear camera, like this one.

61DwVYE2+4L._SL1500_.jpg

I found one that uses a 4.3" screen mounted somewhere of your choosing all hard wired as it seems remote seems to have issues depending upon quality, so hard it is, that allows you to add a second camera and you can switch between either. So I ordered it, it was cheap so we'll see.   Soon I won't be able to see out the windows for all the crap I'm installing ....lol....  I looked at those combination mirror screen versions, almost went for it but, didn't like the idea that it was simply rubber band attached to the original mirror and maybe would vibrate while driving on a bumpy street or gravel....? and the fact when you use the night time adjustment it also changed the camera screen direction, if that mattered or not i didn't know, so dismissed it for a solid mounted screen somewhere either on glass or dash area.

There are millions to choose from on Amazon or Fleabay and soon got swamped with useless info.....so got the dart out and simply threw it...lol....well not quite but almost!

Be here in 1 1/2 weeks.   Done deal.   Now to see if i need the second camera to face forwards......and what it will accept ....