Willys

Paddle shifts....?

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys...I am wondering if the paddle shifts are a sharper way to shift gears as in less kind or smooth compared to the gear stick? Seems it to me when I have used them the odd times...?  If so why and are they controlable in anyway?  I can shift using the gear stick very smoothly now which is nice when driving normally.

Don't get me wrong yesterday when carving the twisties in the back country roads those paddles were great !

I still get confused with the stick on occasion when shifting down at a light as the shift is backwards to my reverse slap shifting auto in my Willys......augh.!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had paddle shifters on my cdi, and hardly ever used them. They were nice in a pinch, but didn't really add to the driving experience, in my opinion. I preferred to shift with the lever. 

Part of what I didn't like was that they spin with the wheel, so while cornering, you'd never have a consistent target to hit. If both paddles were pull-to-upshift and push-to-downshift, it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but having upshift on one side and downshift on the other wasn't ideal, in my opinion. 

There's no difference in shift performance between the paddles and the stick. They're both just electrical switches that send a signal to the computer to shift.

Edited by darren

I thought as much but I feel they shift harder than if you use the stick for some reason...?   That's why I asked this silly question....lol.   I'm not sold on them either, except when playing in the twisties they were nice to have, never had them before....still prefer the stick. But I would prefer having a proper shift pattern instead of the forward up and back down......but as long as I remember whats what I'm ok with it, but it does catch me if I'm not thinking....yep I'm old!

I am a big fan of my paddle shifters in my 451.  These are custom made by Matt Boesch.

IMG_3045.JPG

I absolutely love them. Only use the stick for neutral and reverse. In fact my new to me 05 doesn’t have them so I’m having Glenn install them.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wow...fancy smancy....very nice....lol

I rarely drive using two hands anymore......used to just use a thumb but that changed after the Smart as the wind is pushing it around too much with just me in it...fully loaded it rides a whole lot better....now i also actually hold onto the steering wheel.....remember i live in the country.....where you can actually take a minute or two to peer into everyone's backyards looking for treasures.......before returning your eyes forwards......lol In the city I'm thinking paddles will work well...lol

Edited by Willys

14 hours ago, darren said:

Part of what I didn't like was that they spin with the wheel, so while cornering, you'd never have a consistent target to hit. 

To each their own. I love the paddle shifters!!!!

When cornering the upshift paddle can be activated by the left hand - its easy to learn.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, darren said:

Part of what I didn't like was that they spin with the wheel, so while cornering, you'd never have a consistent target to hit. If both paddles were pull-to-upshift and push-to-downshift, it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but having upshift on one side and downshift on the other wasn't ideal, in my opinion. 

Anticipating the corner is the secret to smooth use of the paddle shifters.  Downshift as you approach the corner and all is good.

16 hours ago, Willys said:

I feel they shift harder than if you use the stick for some reason...?   ....yep I'm old!

Practice with them.  The smooth shifting will become second nature after a while.  As you go to shift up, ease up on the accelerator a bit when pulling the paddle.  This will make the up-shift less harsh and pretty soon you will get to the point where you will not even notice the shift.  To down-shift, anticipate it and as you approach the point where you want to down-shift, press on the accelerator a bit so that the car seems to be free-wheeling ( neither accelerating nor decelerating).  As you pull the paddle to down-shift, the engine will rev up to match the speed of the car anticipating the lower gear.  The shift will not even be noticed if done correctly.  And yes, I'm old too but you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! :thumbsup_still:

1 person likes this

10 years of no paddle shifters in my Pures.  In the 451 I much prefer not having paddles to being stuck with power steering.

Mine has the diy paddle shift using the horn buttons. Works well but not used much since I always drive in auto. 

Why bother doing gear shift yourself when the car can do it perfectly well for you?

When I shift its perfect haha :D

When I shifted myself, it was way smoother and more efficient than letting the car do it. 

Letting a 450 shift itself and sticking to the oh so low Ontario speed limits would mean you never get into sixth gear!  HAHA

I've found if you stick with keeping the RPMs below 3000 gets me the best fuel economy as well as lugging it too low just to use 6th gear, so yes, 80kph is a 5th gear machine!!!!   Crazy......until I slide up to 100 plus 6th isn't as economical as 5th....which means maybe auto is just as economcal....lol   But I'm  happier to shift as smoothly as possible and it is something to do over simply sitting there watching the speed demons screaming by....lol.    stopping at everyother gas station...lol.   My brother just bough a Ford, yep I said I was sorry already, edge, which boasts 13 lph at best.....which I instantly chuckled at......which I know he'll never see.....lol.   He was boasting about all the features and said it even had paddle shift, so yep, so does mine ...lol.    it's the small things now a days....that give us the biggest smiles....lol