Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart65

3D-printed electric car

6 posts in this topic

Link doesn't work, but a 3D printed car will have the structural integrity of the go-kart I built when I was 11!

Edited by MikeT

I think the length of the url overwhelmed the link-handling logic of our site.

I did a copy and paste of the following url to the address line of my browser and found that it worked..

https://www.zmescience.com/science/mass-produced-3dcar-82532341/?utm_source=ZME+Science+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4256ed0923-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3b5aad2288-4256ed0923-242791785&goal=0_3b5aad2288-4256ed0923-242791785

I would think that 3D printing would give them a huge advantage in strength versus weight because they'd be able to print complex honeycomb lattices that you just couldn't produce with traditional manufacturing techniques. You could make crumple-able parts of the car that could disperse a ton of energy in a crash.

1 person likes this

FYI, if URLs contain all that extra stuff, just delete everything from the first "?" to the end. All of that stuff is just optional and for tracking the origin of the click... in this case, your email.

I'd like to see how they dealt with the strength issue.  My guess is there was no FEA involved concerning crash capability.