Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LifeinSerenity

No Boost When up to Temp

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

2005 Passion 112000km 

Our Smart has no boost once up to temp. Went to the Smart car meet up last night and it was very noticeable on lack of power. 

The scan gauge shows a max boost of 176. It will up shift around 4500 rpm in standard but boost is no more than 176.  

Took it for a drive today and I didn’t let it warm up. Normally I let it idle for 15 mins or so and usually have one bulb/38c on scan gauge. 

Today I didn’t let it warm up. I had normal boost. 195 as per the scan gauge. As it got up to temp max boost was again 176 max. 

It is also very hard to start on the fist start of the day. Cranks a lot and usually takes 2 attempts.  Lots of white exhaust and idles a little rough. For a couple of minutes. Glow plugs are on a lot longer than our 06. But the glow plug light doesn’t come on after the car is started. The car is started only after the glow plug light goes out. Every other start of the day is normal no matter how long the car sits. 

I forgot. Engine light not on. No codes shown on my scan gauge. 

Edited by LifeinSerenity

Posted (edited) · Report post

I am not sure if you are displaying BAR or atmospheric pressure but it is low.  My cdi would display up to around a 32 PSI MAP value, the CPU throws a fault around 33.5 PSI.  My guess would be that your waste gate is not set correctly/ functioning correctly or you have a fueling issue.

Edited by Huronlad

Should boost to 215 kPa, holed intercooler?  Do you have oil drips?

Letting it idle for 15 minutes is unnecessary.  I let mine run just long enough to make sure any oil that may have dribbled down to the crankcase has found it's way back into the areas the oil is supposed to be protecting.  Then put it in gear and drive it normally (but not racer style) until there are 2 blobs showing on the temp. gauge.  It works for me

7 hours ago, MikeT said:

Should boost to 215 kPa, holed intercooler?  Do you have oil drips?

Nothing in the lane way. Wouldn’t a hole in the intercooler always leak? Not just when it got up to temp? 

7 hours ago, Leadwing said:

Letting it idle for 15 minutes is unnecessary.  I let mine run just long enough to make sure any oil that may have dribbled down to the crankcase has found it's way back into the areas the oil is supposed to be protecting.  Then put it in gear and drive it normally (but not racer style) until there are 2 blobs showing on the temp. gauge.  It works for me

I let it run manly to get the electric seats warm.  I know it will never get up to temp idling. But I like a warm butt when I crawl in 😀

8 hours ago, LifeinSerenity said:

Nothing in the lane way. Wouldn’t a hole in the intercooler always leak? Not just when it got up to temp? 

Maybe but with the oil being thicker when cold, it could limit pressure drop until the 50C air starts warming the IC up.  Just a wild guess.  I suppose Glenn will get to the bottom of it.

4 hours ago, MikeT said:

Maybe but with the oil being thicker when cold, it could limit pressure drop until the 50C air starts warming the IC up.  Just a wild guess.  I suppose Glenn will get to the bottom of it.

You were 100% correct. It was the intercooler. It must of just happened. As there was lots of oil but it hadn’t stated to drip yet. 

1 person likes this