MissMercedes

Three Bars of Death After Stalling Engine

29 posts in this topic

Snapped off bolts are best removed by welding special chamfered nuts to their remains.  Use standard MIG welder with shield gas.

DSC04429.jpg

Image shows a removed snapped off Smart clutch actuator bolt sliced in half.  Chamfered nut is M8.  Aiim for fusion with bolt remains.  Heat from welding is enough to free bolt and you could screw out by hand if you have asbestos fingers.

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

Snapped off bolts are best removed by welding special chamfered nuts to their remains.  Use standard MIG welder with shield gas.

DSC04429.jpg

Image shows a removed snapped off Smart clutch actuator bolt sliced in half.  Chamfered nut is M8.  Aiim for fusion with bolt remains.  Heat from welding is enough to free bolt and you could screw out by hand if you have asbestos fingers.

LOL...excellent.....it also helps to have said mig welder and the skills to carefully weld the two together correctly, it's not as easy as you make it out to be, for the average welder.....any welder worth his salt should be able to do this easy.  Heat and vise grip pliers with a good set of jaws will work the same in a pinch. IF you are unfortunate and do snap the stud off , carefully dremel cut it off flush, do not grind as the grinder could blur the stud from the casting visually, you need to be able to accurately see stud so you can now centre punch it to be able to drill it out then tap new threads, OR possible use an easy out just do not snap an easy out in this hole as you will not be drilling that out!  Then it's off to find a skilled welder to do what Tolsen has suggested in the firstplace!   If you take your time and can use simple tools, you hopfully can get it out with patience and a bit of luck.

Just being able to have the car elevated will help a lot. I actually now have a bunch of neat methods to getting the bolts out, including penetrating oil plus freezing the bolts, a bolt extraction tool, etc etc.

The better news is that the car is home and I no longer have to panic about getting a disabled car out of a storage unit.

The best news is that my star machine works! I never tested it when I got my first 450 (coupe) last year.

Heating head of bolt with an oxyacetylene torch before undoing ensures the most stubborn bolt will come out with ease. The problem is very few of us have  that and fewer of us know how to use it.