Spokerider

Key Fob......Dealer or Aftermarket, or.......?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just bought a 2006 ForTwo. It came with only one key. I'm needing another. What are my "options"?

.........Buying a new key fob from the the MB dealer [ Three Point Motors ]  and having them program it? Cost at the end of the day? 

..........Getting a used key fob from a 1998-2007 donor car and having the locksmith cut a new blank and reprogram the fob? Will this work? I can source a used key......

............Buying a new *aftermarket* key fob and having the locksmith cut a blank and program it to my car. He said it can be done, but, he has yet to find an aftermarket key fob for the 1st gen fortwo that is of a decent quality that he is happy with. So........what / who makes a decent quality key fob for my smart car?? I'm guessing that most will be coming out of China, possibly all from the same factory......... Any real-1st hand experience / feedback with this is welcome!  Please and thank you. 

Edited by Spokerider

i think its safe to say that most locksmiths wont have the proper programs to reset the electronics

personally ive bought some chinese keys but am still trying to figure out how to connect the software i have 

Welcome to CsC.

The dealer will be likely be the most expensive option.

Auto recyclers may have used fobs.

For someone without a STAR machine, I would just buy a Chinese made replacement fob and have the locksmith cut the key and do the programming if they are able. 

Searching for "key fob" on the site may bring up some existing threads on the subject.

1 minute ago, Huronlad said:

Welcome to CsC.

The dealer will be likely be the most expensive option.

Auto recyclers may have used fobs.

For someone without a STAR machine, I would just buy a Chinese made replacement fob and have the locksmith cut the key and do the programming if they are able. 

Searching for "key fob" on the site may bring up some existing threads on the subject.

Thanks for your reply. 

I tried searching for "key fob" on here and no posts turned up. Weird. You'd think.......

Posted (edited) · Report post

forum search engines tend to ignore small words with 3 letters

ask the locksmith if he's done any before

id go with aftermarket key from china...and then if the locksmith cant do it youll at least get ripped off a little less because the dealer wont be selling you an overpriced key

when looking at keys i suggest getting the one with the sealed rubber buttons ...if the buttons look flimsy skip it and look for a different supplier

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Sounds like sound advice LugNuts. Thank you. 

At a glance, all of the 1st gen ebay key fobs look exactly the same........ thus my guess that they all come from the same chinese factory. I'll look around elsewhere on the net. One would *think* that these keys are made in elsewhere in the world........say........France, perhaps, Italy or Belgium, or some place other than China. I know.....not all chinese stuff is junk, but we DO tend to import the bottom of the barrel stuff from China, even tho they can and do make better. Go figure. 

I bought a fob shell for my third key from China.  I just needed the bit with the buttons on it and it snapped beautifully into place on the OE other half.  The only issue is that there's a pictogram of an open hatch on the third button instead of an opening top.

As far as programming, when my SAM failed TPM had to reactivate all the TAN codes (including cruise control, but that's another discussion!) and I gave them the third fob from our written off first smart and now I have three working keys.  The cost was high for SAM replacement but the extra key cost nothing.

Edited by MikeT

China fob cases do not last as long as originals.  Wife broke one yesterday.  Its eye broke off after only a few months in service.

Mine's been good for three years and still looks good too.

Programming isn't hard with a STAR system. One of the latest versions bypasses the need for TAN codes. I believe that all keys need to be present when programming.

Any used 450 keys can be reprogrammed.

Which part of BC are you living in? I think there are a few members that have the STAR system in the lower mainland that maybe able to help you out. If you're ever in Edmonton AB with your 450, I can program your FOBs :)

I have seen an example where a locksmith was able to program an aftermarket one button FOB on a 450 without STAR, but I'm not sure exactly how they did it...I can go do some digging the next time i see the owner of that 450....I'm guessing that they were able to clone the RFID off an existing FOB.

Edited by stickman007