Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RobCDI

2006 Smart CDI vs 2007 prius

10 posts in this topic

I love my 2006 smart cdi but dont want to be blind to better technologies. I live in a hilly city with extreme temp ranges, this has a huge affect on fuel economy. I did a lot of research and this is what i noticed:

-CDI will get about 2L/100km better fuel economy

-Prius would be a little bit more expensive

-Prius is more comfortable/luxurious with better tech inside

Similar running costs and maintenance costs 

I had a quick look at electric cars and theoretically they would reduce my Diesel bill from $100/week to $20/week in electricity. BUT with the heater or A/C on high every day for 5 hours I expect i wouldnt have the range and the electricity bill would more realistically be $50/month

If anyone has extra insight into comparing the two cars i would love to know

I read that in BC at least, filling a large Tesla battery consumes as much juice as a house in 5 days.  Dividing my bi-monthly electricity bill by 12 and knowing a Tesla's range, the cdi is cheaper, for us at least, just on fuel/electricity costs alone

So, what you're saying is recharging a Tesla battery once,uses the same amount of kwh

that a house consumes in five days? If that is a correct interpretation then, I can assure

that, that is inaccurate...

Sounds about right to me. My highest electricity bill last summer was 569 kWh. 569 ÷ 31 X 5 = 91.77 kWh. New Model S is either 75 or 100 kWh, aren't they? That's assuming you're charging from 0 to 100% though.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, GMoney said:

Sounds about right to me. My highest electricity bill last summer was 569 kWh. 569 ÷ 31 X 5 = 91.77 kWh. New Model S is either 75 or 100 kWh, aren't they? That's assuming you're charging from 0 to 100% though.

I just checked my Hydro bill and right now my my average use is $2.59 per day times 5 equals $12.95.

This includes the amount of kwh used to charge  our smart ED every couple of days.

This is based on 121 kwh. My friend drives a P85D which of course is an 85 kwh battery which,

using the five typiclal residential usage days comparison should cost $13.00 to fill.

In reality however the actual cost is $8.00 which is pretty damn reasonable IMHO...

Don't forget you folks in Ontario have some of the, if not the, highest power rates in Canada.:P

Edited by lebikerboy

We have a house where everything is run by electricity.  So we're always into Tier 2 of the rate structure.  Air/Air heat pump is nice but in the crap weather we have been having, it's expensive.  So yeah it'd be more than the smart for sure.

On 2018-04-08 at 7:39 PM, lebikerboy said:

Don't forget you folks in Ontario have some of the, if not the, highest power rates in Canada.

The price of the power is irrelevant. My calculation showed that 5 days of my highest consumption was 91.77 kWh, which is more than the smallest Model S but less than the biggest Model S. Whether that 91.77 kWh costs $0.10 or $1000 is a moot point. The original point was about the amount of power consumed, not the cost.

However, you're basing the 5 day formula on your usage only.

A much larger sample group of Tesla market owners would be more

representative...

On 4/8/2018 at 2:19 PM, darren said:

Between the cdi and the Prius, I'd go for the Prius.

Yeah, its tempting. Im driving a lot of km now so a prius would cost me $700/year more in fuel. Its not too much more for a high tech car. If I ever get bored of my smart i will go for a prius as a daily. 

$5500

$_59.JPG

$5000(black one on left)

4AIApqD.jpg

For an electric car I did the math for me and it would cost me $40/week in electricity that i work (300kWh) vs $30 current (20L diesel)  

Also these cars cost around $5000-$8000. A cheap electric car(say 2013 leaf) would be at least double that with a big battery replacement bill in the next 2-6 years.