mfr334

ABS Reluctor, CV boot questions

8 posts in this topic

In the last year i have blown my rear passenger tire twice, I was getting 3 bars and fixed my clutch actuator, but now instead of 3 bars and losing power frequently, I still get the occasional 3 bars but car drives fine and goes off when you turn the car off. Would occasionally get ABS/ESP warnings going off too.

So as nice weather approaches, started thinking about it, and thought it would be worth checking the reluctor rings based on different things i've read on line, I removed the driveshafts and low and behold the rear passenger reluctor ring was split. The rear drivers side was fine, and was either replaced or the whole driveshaft on that side was replaced at some point, the CV boots are nice and intact on that side but on the passenger side they are cracked in several places.

Does anyone think a bad reluctor ring could lead to premature tire wear or anything? occasionaly at very low speed in parking lots as soon as I let off the accelerator it would seem to 'brake' on its own, no shuddering or anything, but you could feel it. The CV boots, can anyone recommend a aftermarket generic replacement, can't find much that are actually listed as for the 450 CDI but its just rubber and any boot close to the right dimensions should work. I would like this car to be a little more reliable then what it has been and I still can't definitively say why I went through 2 tires on the rear pass. side but I definitely dont want to go through anymore tires!

While the drive shafts are out, i'm going to take the opportunity to replace the seals, and would like to change the gearbox fluid once put back together, is there any compatible fluid thats easily available in Canada or should I just order something like Shell ATF134 online..

Edited by mfr334

I tried an aftermarket cv joint boot some years ago but it only lasted twelve months.  British made Bailcast cv joint boots are particularly poor even worse than Chinese.  Therefore better sourcing the boot from Smart which is what i did in the end. 

Reluctor ring only costs about £2 from J&R on eBay. Slightly dearer shipping cost to Canada but still quite affordable the more you buy in one purchase.  I do not think a split reluctor ring will cause tyre wear but could be wrong. 

40 minutes ago, tolsen said:

I do not think a split reluctor ring will cause tyre wear but could be wrong. 

I agree.

I have some good used cv joint boots but don't know where the OP lives.

The most common causes of tire blow-outs are physical damage and overheating.

Is it possible that you are routinely driving on roads with badly degraded right hand wheel tracks, underinflating, and/or overloading the rear tires?

Is the tire wearing evenly?  My right rear is wearing on the inside but that is the side that the top looks like it leans in.  I need to get the camber checked and shimmed if necessary.

Nigel

Hey guys finally got time to work on things and to report back

my tire blowouts were on the sidewall, one of them was a nearly brand new winter tire, anyways I put 185 65's on the rear but was too much of a difference between the front and I would throw a speed sensor CEL, went down to 185 60's and seems to be working fine in that respect now, glad to have more rubber between me and the ground then I had with the 175 55's, to dguy's questions, the roads here in NB are rutted and wore everywhere, wasn't overloaded but i could stand to lose a few pounds.... my best guess is underinflation..... they 'looked' fine, but now i'm in the habit of checking the pressure every few weeks

I put some new grease in and RTV'd the cracked CV boot, installed new reluctor rings on both sides, changed out the gearbox fluid and installed new brake drums

Went for a nice decently long drive on the highway and everything seemed fine until coming back into town when coming to a stop I now have some what seems like brake shudder and the ESP light came on.....this one has me a little confused, are the ABS pickup sensors known to go bad? tomorrow im gonna try to disable ESP and go for another drive and see what my results are

Edited by mfr334

Just a shot in the dark about your tire distruction issues, broken coil spring? You did say it was leaning a tad..?   I seem to hear a lot about broken coils?   Like i said just a complete shot in the dark as I'm new here and also to Smarts....

Cleaned both ABS pickups as best as I could without ripping the whole mess out, and noticed I had a brake light out, was hoping my ESP light issue would be that simple, the bulb in the housing was loose just had to bend the contact in a mm or two and its working again....but ESP light is still, start the car it will be off, and after about 5-6 km's it comes on and stays on, wouldn't bother me so much if I was the only one driving it, but would feel better if my wife had working ESP, car continues to drive fine

Edited by mfr334