smartdriver

Likely Seized Alternator

6 posts in this topic

2005 sitting outside for some time. Won't turn over, solenoid chatters about twice per second on battery alone and when external high amperage charger applied.

Assuming it is a seized alternator, because the car is now stuck in my driveway, I was wondering if it were possible and worthwhile to apply or squirt some type of wicking fluid (Liquid Wrench?) through the engine compartment opening as a preliminary attempt to assist freeing it?

Check condition of engine earth strap as known to disintegrate into dust.  It goes from chassis at rear left side of engine hatch opening, wraps around inlet air duct and connects to transmission.

Original Smart earth lead measures 410 mm between centres of the 6 mm lug holes. Note that most aftermarket earth straps have 8 mm or larger lug holes.

Smart450EarthLead.jpg

Replacement earth lead above (the bright one) is one I made from a cheap (£1.50) and longer aftermarket earth strap.  I cut it to size and soldered new lugs to it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thank you for your clever suggestion. Because of the rate that the solenoid clicks which is different than a previous instance of an alternator seizure, I suspect that you are correct.

If it is the ground strap, do you think that might be possible to start the car by using heavy jumper cables connected between the motor and chassis?

It would be nice to be able to get the car out of my driveway.

EDIT: I have a new plan. Remove the engine hatch cover. Connect both jumper cable clips to the engine frame. Run the cables between the seats to the negative terminal of the battery.

The weather here is below freezing after a bad ice storm and I plan to wait for a few days until it warms up.

Edited by smartdriver

Yes easy to test for bad earth strap.  Just run jump lead from battery negative pole to engine or transmission as you suggested.

Just an update.

While the weather was warming up, I trickle charged the battery for 2 days. With a high current charger also applied, the result was that the engine would turn over very slowly without the solenoid dropping out, which indicated to me that the alternator is seized.