MissMercedes

450 Cabrio Roof Doesn’t Lower

4 posts in this topic

Thank you all so much for your help in that previous one! I’m still finding some new things out about how the car was treated by its previous owners and I hope to get her to 100% soon. The transmission in this cab is now shifting like the coupe (also was a rescue) which is good.

Now that the weather is no longer miserable, I swapped the daily 451 for the 450 cab again.

So, some minor issue with the roof is that it seems to struggle fully closing through the first stage. The tracks are extremely dry, so I’m going to lube those (the proper way). But first I want to trash the current side rails. They’re in bad shape with torn seals and multiplying rust.

The bigger issue is that I cannot get the second stage to drop. The roof makes it all the way back to the second stage, but it just won’t drop. I can hear the motor attempt to do it, but no movement.

I’m not familiar with the cabrio mechanisms. Is there a lock or something that keeps the second stage from dropping? 

If I locate the crank and where to stick it, should I be able to manually work it down? I’ve read a couple threads on here where somehow that ended being the solution...lube then cycling the roof a few times (with manual cranking to assist) to spread it around.

WAIT A MINUTE

...*Sigh*...I shouldn't be expecting the 450 to work like the 451. I looked up instructions on how to open the 450 cab's roof. Unlike the 451, the rear section isn't motorized, you just drop it down by hand and lock it into place.

My roof is operating fine. After I replace then lube the rails all should be fine. Crisis averted! :) *facepalm*

1 person likes this

LOL ..... You beat me to it!  I was going to mention that the 450 is only under power in the stage one operation. (forward and back) but to drop the roof down, simply press and hold the key fob button a second time.  If all is working properly, it should lock into place when it drops. :lol:

1 person likes this

That's what happened! :)

I was so happy when I found out about it! I have to say that I'm really amused by this. "The top doesn't really work" was one of the reasons I got this car for so cheap. As it turns out, the problem was that neither of us knew how to use the top!