Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
falcon_1898

Brake job recommendation

8 posts in this topic

Hi all it's been forever since I last logged on! We even have changed our decals from Garfield to Angry Birds.

Alas, the car has only about 52,000km (451 from 2011). The front brakes need some work. The rotors are warped, and the calipers stick a bit. Anyone else experiencing similar situation?

Can someone please recommend a mechanic to replace rotors, pads and possibly the calipers too? Also bleed/flush replace the brake fluid. Looking for someone who might be in the Markham/Richmond Hill or Scarborough areas.

Roughly how much should I budget for this?

Not really wanting to overpay having the dealership do the work.

Thanks in advance,

James

Welcome back!  It's been a long time since we heard from you.

I'm sure those who know you would love to see the new Angry Bird decals.

Check out these threads to see if there is anyone in your area that you can use.  I have used the Active Green & Ross in that list and they are good, but not exactly in the Scarborough area.  Failing all else, Uncle Glenn would be a good, safe bet but he is on vacation for a few more weeks and would require about a 2 hour drive for you to get there.

Below is a photo taken at the 2012 Mystery Run

Smart Falcon.jpg

Hey Leadwing!

Thanks for the recommendations!

I never thought of Active Green + Ross. I'll give them a call.

Garfield ended up fading in colour and started peeling at some of the edges. So we tore him off and replaced him with angry bird!

pt2017_10_21_19_50_38_mh1508629878686.jpg

The Active Green & Ross that I mentioned has ( or had at the time the list was made ) a club member, fellow smart owner and mechanic at the G&R site listed.  His screen name was Bessy and his real first name is Andrew.  I have no idea if he still works there or not.  Perhaps try looking up his screen name in the members list and maybe send him a PM with your questions.

The new decals look great!

Thanks Leadwing! I got the front brakes replaced yesterday at a local mechanic shop.

Set of Wagner thermo quiet costed $280 tax in. Compare that to $520+tax quoted from MB…

1 person likes this

If you decide to go the DIY route Germanparts sells Brembo pads and rotors for our smarts. Granted Canadian Tire now sells Brembo and I haven't had a chance to ask them what their prices are like. $280 is a very good price for parts and labour given cost of the parts.

https://order.germanparts.ca/search.html

I have a shop in Markham that works on my smart, they did my head gasket over the winter. 

http://www.teknik.aaro.ca

1 person likes this

Thanks niteshooter.

I'll check them out. 

Will need the muffler to be fixed too. It's the infamous flex pipe…

But thinking of selling the car soon, as it doesn't serve our needs any more now that we have a baby.